(Topic ID: 132426)

Walking Dead LE ranked #61 on Pinside?? Lol!!

By kklank

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 221 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dzoomer
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Does The Walking Dead belong in the Top 20?”

• yes 59 votes
    21%
  • nope 201 votes
    71%
  • It belongs in the Top 10! 24 votes
    8%

(284 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen_Shot_2015-07-16_at_8.46.29_PM.png
IMG_0855.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0851.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg
image.jpg
twd_pinball_animated_walker4.gif
DSCF1409.jpg
DSCF1411.jpg
image.jpg

There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 4 years ago

The Walking Dead LE ranked #61 on Pinside! Are you kidding me?
It couldn't beat Roadshow, Family Guy, or Revenge From Mars to name a few. To each his own I guess but TWD is pretty amazing imho. I've got it in the top 20 at least!

#2 4 years ago

It's all relative. I could argue that TWDLE is ranked too high since it is ranked above all time classics like Fathom, Centaur, Pinbot and High Speed, but I digress... I wouldn't take the rankings too seriously.

#3 4 years ago

I think it will move up due to the games recent code updates.

#4 4 years ago

TWD has always been a great game, just takes a while for people to understand the potential.

The good thing is, there is such a huge list of scoring opportunities. That combined with the inlane multiplier and double playfield you can score big at any moment in the game. It seems really easy but if you try too hard it won't work.
But once you get a good mode going, combined with multiball(s), multikills, etc... your score takes a leap across the ocean.

On ACDC you can cash in the song jackpot with a multiplier. On TWD you can build up your mode scoring (with multipliers) and then cash in big on the final shot in a mode. If you play good, your multikills are worth a lot more and this can count up really nice. This makes also horde more valuable, etc etc..

I own the game some months now and I'm still surprised by all the different ways to score big. But you have to play it right, no gifts.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

TWD has always been a great game, just takes a while for people to understand the potential.
The good thing is, there is such a huge list of scoring opportunities. That combined with the inlane multiplier and double playfield you can score big at any moment in the game. It seems really easy but if you try too hard it won't work.
But once you get a good mode going, combined with multiball(s), multikills, etc... your score takes a leap across the ocean.
On ACDC you can cash in the song jackpot with a multiplier. On TWD you can build up your mode scoring (with multipliers) and then cash in big on the final shot in a mode. If you play good, your multikills are worth a lot more and this can count up really nice. This makes also horde more valuable, etc etc..
I own the game some months now and I'm still surprised by all the different ways to score big. But you have to play it right, no gifts.

Have you been to Siege yet? I have not. Been to Horde twice but don't know what I'm doing. Still super cool and deep rules. Top 10 for me. This game isn't a sleeper anymore. With the code updates, its really getting awesome. Someone out there needs to release an official rule sheet.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

It's all relative. I could argue that TWDLE is ranked too high since it is ranked above all time classics like Fathom, Centaur, Pinbot and High Speed, but I digress... I wouldn't take the rankings too seriously.

^^^What he said^^^

Rankings smankings. Who cares?

... Warning: Biased Owner Gushing ...

Must be selling well for Stern as they are still pumping them out. As an owner I can deftly say it's got a lot going for it. Borg HAS been quoted on record as saying this is his best design ever. Stern has released 2 MASSIVE code updates recently that are most impressive with the promise of yet another to come. It's been said Lyman took an LE home. I believe it! Lyman isn't holding back on working his magic in the code. There is a huge Walking Dead fan base. Even the casual pinballer can appreciate a horror pin featuring Zombies.

Borg knows it.
Lyman knows it.
Stern knows it.
Owners know it.
Anyone that has played long enough and made it to Horde Mode knows it.
Even the haters know it (they'll never admit to it )

TWD isn't one of those pins that will be discovered great later down the road after it's not being produced any longer...It's already great now!

#7 4 years ago

Every game should be in the top 10.

#8 4 years ago

Hey, there's only ONE party to blame here for shitty ratings: Stern.

Sure the recent code is much improved, but a shitload of people rate the game and form an opinion when they first see it...

So the one sure-fired way to address it is for Stern to release the code in better shape....

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Every game should be in the top 10.

Even Vacation America?

#10 4 years ago

What a stupid thread and an even more stupid poll
You're just begging the trolls to come in.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

What a stupid thread and an even more stupid poll

I respect your opinion. Now scram troll. Take your angry down the road.

#12 4 years ago

i was a disappointed LE buyer for quite a while. no actor voices and very incomplete code, crappy BG ramp, etc.
these last 2 code updates completely changed the game. clelands voice mod makes it even more awesome. can't imagine not having it installed.
so Stern and the community has answered the concerns and has made it a GREAT pin.
IMHO of course. there's just so many ways to approach the game and so many ways to come back from a crappy ball1 or2.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

i was a disappointed LE buyer for quite a while. no actor voices and very incomplete code, crappy BG ramp, etc.
these last 2 code updates completely changed the game. clelands voice mod makes it even more awesome. can't imagine not having it installed.
so Stern and the community has answered the concerns and has made it a GREAT pin.
IMHO of course. there's just so many ways to approach the game and so many ways to come back from a crappy ball1 or2.

Exactly. Even as great as the code updates have been, I still don't think I would own this pin without the work that people like Cleland have done via Pinball Browser.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly. Even as great as the code updates have been, I still don't think I would own this pin without the work that people like Cleland have done via Pinball Browser.

You got me there. Cleland is the man.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

I respect your opinion. Now scram troll. Take your angry down the road.

Yeah sure, I'm a troll you moron. Have you seen your own posts in the past? Anyway the real trolls will start to trickle in soon and rightfully so.

#16 4 years ago

Yeah sure, I'm a troll you moron. Have you seen your own posts in the past? Anyway the real trolls will start to trickle in soon and rightfully so.

What am I missing here?

I looked at some of his past posts, and he seems to love his TWDLE. How is he trolling?

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What am I missing here?
I looked at some of his past posts, and he seems to love his TWDLE. How is he trolling?

I wasn't refering to TWD at all. Nothing personal against him until he made it personal. I just can't stand threads like this. It will eventually turn into a shit pile.

#18 4 years ago

I wasn't refering to TWD at all.

Ok, well, I'm in the dark so I bet a lot of other people are too. So if you are going to call someone a moron and accuse them of trolling you might want to consider giving us the reasons for your accusations, otherwise you don't make yourself look too good.

You seem to have come on pretty strongly, and you usually have a reason when you do. I just don't see it here. <shrug>

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

^^^What he said^^^
Rankings smankings. Who cares?
... Warning: Biased Owner Gushing ...
Must be selling well for Stern as they are still pumping them out. As an owner I can deftly say it's got a lot going for it. Borg HAS been quoted on record as saying this is his best design ever. Stern has released 2 MASSIVE code updates recently that are most impressive with the promise of yet another to come. It's been said Lyman took an LE home. I believe it! Lyman isn't holding back on working his magic in the code. There is a huge Walking Dead fan base. Even the casual pinballer can appreciate a horror pin featuring Zombies.
Borg knows it.
Lyman knows it.
Stern knows it.
Owners know it.
Anyone that has played long enough and made it to Horde Mode knows it.
Even the haters know it (they'll never admit to it )
TWD isn't one of those pins that will be discovered great later down the road after it's not being produced any longer...It's already great now!

I heard Lyman was taken off the game.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Old news, and it was temporary.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Ok, well, I'm in the dark so I bet a lot of other people are too. So if you are going to call someone a moron and accuse them of trolling you might want to consider giving us the reasons for your accusations, otherwise you don't make yourself look too good.
You seem to have come on pretty strongly, and you usually have a reason when you do. I just don't see it here. <shrug>

Nah, I really shouldn't be posting in this thread anyway, I have nothing productive to say about it. I will be draining this thread, have a good one Rob, much respect.

#22 4 years ago

I wasn't refering to TWD at all. Nothing personal against him until he made it personal. I just can't stand threads like this. It will eventually turn into a shit pile.

I didn't say you were referring to TWD. Your comment about how stupid the thread and troll is pretty darn negative. Than you call me a moron. What's next. I define a troll that tries to provoke an even more negative response. The only thing turning into a shit pile is your negative posts. Read everyone elses' posts. Nothing negative.......except yours.

#23 4 years ago

I've read your posts before QuarterGrabber and have never had any objection before. Just felt like this came out of left field.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Have you been to Siege yet? I have not. Been to Horde twice but don't know what I'm doing. Still super cool and deep rules. Top 10 for me. This game isn't a sleeper anymore. With the code updates, its really getting awesome. Someone out there needs to release an official rule sheet.

The community has been working on this since v1
Feel free to add in what you learn as you go!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XNUs8fgLOB2hVBBzcsgxDvdEuBbGhRuwSJdkkeo1Xv4/edit

#25 4 years ago

@ quattergabber

you're the troll.
All the time
star trek is not good but I did not try the latest code but I told you it's not good.
after the guy talks about Troll face on the guy who opens a post.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from e4mafia:

The community has been working on this since v1
Feel free to add in what you learn as you go!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XNUs8fgLOB2hVBBzcsgxDvdEuBbGhRuwSJdkkeo1Xv4/edit

Thanks e4mafia!! Didn't even know this existed. It's fantastic. I will definitely contribute in any way I can.

#27 4 years ago

I can only speak as someone who has only played the game on location, but I left feeling lukewarm on the game. I love the theme and really wanted to like the game. Maybe my high expectations made me overly critical, but I felt like the game's geometry was off and too many "made" shots turned into drains. Drains from the pops felt cheap and drains from hitting the prison felt cheap. I'm all for a game punishing you for missed shots, but I just don't think when a game repeatedly punishes you for made shots is fun.

Could have just been how the game was set up on location, but I've played a few different location games (though only one LE, the others were pros) and saw similar issues on each machine. I've also read posts here with similar experiences, so I don't think it was just a couple outlier machines I came across.

I haven't tried the new code, so we will see if my opinion changes with the new code. But based on my experiences, the ranking seems pretty ballpark right.

#28 4 years ago

I just gave QuarterGrabber a 24-hour thread eject. There was absolutely no justification for attacking the OP like that.

#29 4 years ago

I voted nope. As an LE owner it's getting much better but not a top 20 game. Top 40 yes.

#30 4 years ago

You know my intention wasn't to necessarily pump up TWDLE but more to discuss the comparison of games or ranking on Pinside. I personally don't have any machines in my line up for the nostalgia factor.
I buy based on depth of strategy/ruleset, Looks and sounds of the pin, and how fun it is. I know this is subjective and its just my opinion but I'm personally a big fan of new technology. For me, the only two that has stood the test of time that I would like to have in my small collection again is TAF and TZ. (I've never played MM a lot). I know there's a lot of holes in this but its fun for discussion.

#31 4 years ago

Would have been a lot better with the actual actors doing the call outs, knocks it down a few pegs imo.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

What? ! !

Then who is this unknown new Stern Sorcerer/Code Savant that's been making these awesome TWD updates? Or do you mean Lyman's going to come back later and do the next TWD update when he finishes whatever he's on to now?

I don't believe Lyman would hand the TWD coding reigns of the game which he has matured and fleshed out to someone else to finish in his stead.

#33 4 years ago

I own an LE and love it. That said if one of the bash toys had been more interactive it could have been sooo much better. If the prison opened up and locked balls, then releasing them like zombies attacking? Or if the well walker grabbed the ball off the magnet? That kinda stuff matters. The best wms games all did something amazing with the ball. It's a great game but a trick or two away from being truly elite imho.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

You know my intention wasn't to necessarily pump up TWDLE but more to discuss the comparison of games or ranking on Pinside. I personally don't have any machines in my line up for the nostalgia factor.
I buy based on depth of strategy/ruleset, Looks and sounds of the pin, and how fun it is. I know this is subjective and its just my opinion but I'm personally a big fan of new technology. For me, the only two that has stood the test of time that I would like to have in my small collection again is TAF and TZ. (I've never played MM a lot). I know there's a lot of holes in this but its fun for discussion.

I brought up the rankings in another TWD thread and have been wondering why its so low myself. I share the same feelings you do on the matter. I don't own the game yet but it's certainly high up on my wish list. I don't want to start any kind of Stern code argument since its been gone over ad nauseam. But, as others have pointed out, I believe the ranking is so low due to code being in such an infantile stage upon release. A lot of people played it for the first and last time during the early versions of code. I'm willing to bet that most of the people voting "nope" have not played the most recent release of the code. I'm not slamming anyone for doing so, its just unfortunate that people are forced to base their decision about a game before its truly "finished".

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Quoted from RobT:

Quoted from kklank:

You got me there. Cleland is the man.

You guys make me blush, thanks!
I wouldn't be spending dozens of hours on a game I didn't think was great! I always get that just need one more game feeling with TWD.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from wonderpuddle:

I can only speak as someone who has only played the game on location, but I left feeling lukewarm on the game. I love the theme and really wanted to like the game. Maybe my high expectations made me overly critical, but I felt like the game's geometry was off and too many "made" shots turned into drains. Drains from the pops felt cheap and drains from hitting the prison felt cheap. I'm all for a game punishing you for missed shots, but I just don't think when a game repeatedly punishes you for made shots is fun.
Could have just been how the game was set up on location, but I've played a few different location games (though only one LE, the others were pros) and saw similar issues on each machine. I've also read posts here with similar experiences, so I don't think it was just a couple outlier machines I came across.
I haven't tried the new code, so we will see if my opinion changes with the new code. But based on my experiences, the ranking seems pretty ballpark right.

I agree with how you felt, as I felt the same. I first played at IAPPA, and then on location, and it didnt work for me for the same reasons you mention.

But when one came home, and I started playing alone at 2-3 AM, It became an "experience"...!!!
Like the Sound track in Tron, the Music gets in, and under your skin. The light show, and now the code, reinforces
the premise of you, the player battling Zombies.
When I learned that a small piece of sticky felt at the end of the ramp, got rid of the left loop to Pops, for a full orbit, I was sold.

Then all the bricks I was hitting in my first 30 to 40 games, got adjusted, and I learned these angles. the ramps never drained,
The magnets pulled most off a center drain, I havent had any flings from my magnets to speak of down the side drains..(X-men),
or center. The Bugger does drain off the post shots, so I see how that works for a new player.

The rules, are different....You are piling up Zombie kills....

The Flow, Different, But not a Non Stop Flow machine....so I see some dislikes there.

So no disagreement, just how this game has grown on me.

But I do feel strictly on theme, that it isnt for everyone, and one reason in response to the thread Ops question, is the theme alone can
take out out of the top 20.

The many people that dont watch the show, or the gore, wont pay attention to it.

I wonder how many people just dont like the theme...??

#37 4 years ago

Opinions are like.....well you know.

Personally I think it's right about where it belongs. Now I have not played the latest code and I'm sure that helps it (It sure helped ST) but I personally I don't care for the layout. Generally speaking I don't care for huge bash toys that take out a big piece of real estate.....especially when they are lower on the playfield.....same reason I'm not a big fan of X-Men.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

I'm not slamming anyone for doing so, its just unfortunate that people are forced to base their decision about a game before its truly "finished".

This says it all ^^^

Wish there was a way to fix that.

#39 4 years ago

I think it MAY follow a similar trajectory as WOz.

Initially it debuted in the 40's.... But then over time dropped to top 20 as more people played it and they fixed the design flaws, etc....

I can see TWD climb up into the Top25 once more people play the mature code.....no way top10 though.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

The Walking Dead LE ranked #61 on Pinside! Are you kidding me?
It couldn't beat roadshow, Family Guy, or Revenge From Mars to name a few. To each his own I guess but TWD is pretty amazing imho. I've got it in the top 20 at least!

The 3 games you mentioned are leagues better. Of course they're rated higher!

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Wow sure hope that comment was meant to be sarcastic...lol

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Opinions are like.....well you know.
Personally I think it's right about where it belongs. Now I have not played the latest code and I'm sure that helps it (It sure helped ST) but I personally I don't care for the layout. Generally speaking I don't care for huge bash toys that take out a big piece of real estate.....especially when they are lower on the playfield.....same reason I'm not a big fan of X-Men.

This was my single biggest concern with TWD. I really dislike the Wolverine placement on XM. For some reason, the Well Walker doesn't seem as obtrusive as Wolverine was, and doesn't seem to be as close to the flippers. Not sure if it is actually further back and more to the middle or not as I haven't measured (and don't intend to), but all that matters to me is the perception.

I'm still not a huge fan of the layout, but the theme and rules really bring this one up several notches.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Only RS is arguably better than TWD.

#44 4 years ago

I haven't put enough time in on the game to really understand it or appreciate it. (And I don't rate games, just don't care about the rankings, so my opinion doesn't affect them one way or another.) I've only played the Pro so far.

But I will say that I didn't really feel compelled to keep playing it to see how it would grow on me. If there's a great game in there it's not really immediately accessible. The music and atmosphere seem pretty cool, but the voice callouts are pretty meh (this has been beaten to death). I don't watch the show, so I don't care about the actors, but the guy they used just doesn't sound right. I read the comic, I get the theme and story, just not particularly tied to the show's specific people or anything, so I should be pretty easy to please. I wouldn't recognize the real actors or callouts as long as they sounded good it would be fine with me.

It feels a little bash toy heavy. Well Walker bash, barn door bash (or is that prison?), and then once the doors open there's a weirdly scaled giant head to bash some more? It feels like there was another design meant for that area that got scrapped at the last minute or something. Would have been cool if once the doors opened there was another shot or a lock or something. What's the point of them opening if you're just going to keep bashing the same spot afterwards?

SDTM off the pops or barn door seemed annoying, but apparently those can be dialed in better or something?

The shooter lane shot on the Pro was sort of annoying, happened more often than I'd like, but the LE has a drop there maybe that helps.

I like Borg, but I already have Tron and Metallica, and Walking Dead just didn't seem to add a whole lot layout wise to the mix for me. His games can feel a little similar after a while. Take the two I have, throw in some X-Men, and it felt like TWD. Rather stick with the two I have.

Anyways, just a little perspective from a non-owner, who hasn't played the game a ton. Definitely no way it's even close to a top 50 game for me. If I played it more and started to appreciate the code or something maybe I'd change my mind, but honestly given what I've listed above I'm not really looking to play more. Plenty of classic games I find a lot more interesting, but also plenty of modern Sterns that are more compelling to me too.

#45 4 years ago

I'm also not a huge fan of XM layout, but the well walker doesn't seem to bother me much. Originally I worried about the flow of twd but once played it's no more stop and go than tspp. And with code updates it's getting deep enough to have a lot of replay value. I've been more into newer sterns and I'll probably get bashed for this but I sold IM for its what I felt shallow rules. I'm not saying yet that twd is a better game but to me deeper rules keeps it around longer.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It feels a little bash toy heavy.

This. 3 bash toys is too many. 2 are too many. The walker is fine, something different should have been done with the prison and bicycle girl. I still love the game but feel like it could have been a lot better.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Anyways, just a little perspective from a non-owner, who hasn't played the game a ton. Definitely no way it's even close to a top 50 game for me. If I played it more and started to appreciate the code or something maybe I'd change my mind, but honestly given what I've listed above I'm not really looking to play more. Plenty of classic games I find a lot more interesting, but also plenty of modern Sterns that are more compelling to me too.

Your post is right on to my feelings about the pin. I am of the "won't buy until I get to play it" camp these days. Code will help but I had the same feeling about not being compelled to continue playing.

Happy for the people who like it. It's just nowhere close to something I'll be spending money on.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It feels a little bash toy heavy.

It is. But certainly not any more bash heavy than Metallica, a pin that you love.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It is. But certainly not any more bash heavy than Metallica, a pin that you love.

Thats arguable: inline drops aren't really a bash toy and feel much different, captive ball is different in feel too, snake opens the jaw and becomes a saucer (plus a ball capture device). Only sparky is a true bash toy really. TWD has bicycle girl, prison doors and zombie behind, and well walker as definite bash toys.

#50 4 years ago

I've loved it from day one and its only gotten so much better.

My biggest concern initially as well was the placement of the Well Walker bash toy because of my dislike for Wolvie and Xmen. Totally different and appropriate feel versus Wolvie.

As for the 3 bash toys, it actually fits well with this pin, a Zombie pin, you know, killing Zombies! It's the sounds, callouts and rules that go along with the bash toys that make it great.

I love hitting BG and that kill sound, and Nody's light kit is fantastic.

The Well Walker is not just another bash toy, if you aren't using it to hit the drop targets on the rebound then you are missing out on a safer way to get to Blood Bath and racking up big points.

The Prison could/should have been set up so much better with a multiple ball lock inside AND a pop up Zombie head underneath like the ringmaster in CV. That kind of creativity in today's pinball design world is asking for too much and costs too many man hours and dollars.

So I'll take it for what it is, a great pin that Borg and Lyman knocked out of the park.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 445.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
There are 221 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside