Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Jimmyhonda
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0EE8B447-8EF4-4AD2-A866-3797FBA67B5E (resized).jpeg
RI86LOX.jpg
RCRQ7PB.jpg
image.jpeg
twd_good.jpg
twd_bent.jpg
TWDPIC.jpg

#1 3 years ago

I can't seem to fix the problem where I can't get a good clean, consistent plunge with my Walking Dead. I've seen this touched upon in some other scattered forums, but still haven't resolved it.

Problem: Roughly 40% of the plunges never make it up to the skill shot. Instead, they hit the pop bumpers. This also happens sometimes with auto launch.

Attempts to fix it that have failed:

1. Got a new shooter assembly and rod from Stern.
2. Played with how the plunger is screwed in - moved it around a bit. This may have helped slightly, or not. Hard for me to even tell because it didn't fix it.
3. Lubed the plunger.
4. Changed the pitch of my machine (it's probably around 8 now).
5. Stern hasn't been able to identify the correct solution.

I'm at a loss guys. I know others have had a problem and they just adjusted the plunger housing unit and that worked. Maybe I need to play around with that more, but I've also had a tech look and he's stumped.

Any ideas? It's really frustrating as this is a new premium and a good plunge is important on this game.

#2 3 years ago

I realize you want fast play but your pitch should be closer to 6.5 to 7 degrees. Then i'm curious if the coil operated side of shooter has the same issue?

#3 3 years ago

You need to adjust/tune/bend the metal guide right where it exits the shooter lane.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I realize you want fast play but your pitch should be closer to 6.5 to 7 degrees. Then i'm curious if the coil operated side of shooter has the same issue?

I have the same issue and my pitch is at or aroun 6.7 deg. From my understanding its a very common issue with TWD.

I havent dug into tweaking mine yet to see what the best fix is yet, but i may soon as it is finally starting to irk me.

#5 3 years ago

I changed out to the Stern zombie head and mine, too, only reaches the pops. Kinda helps with Woodbury though...

#6 3 years ago

Wondering if extending the rubber tip, by putting a small something inside will help...
I was hoping to test this over the Holidays....

#7 3 years ago

I had this same issue except well over 50% of the time the ball would hit the pop bumpers first and not reach the skill shot. I tried adjusting the plunger with only a slight variation in the amount of successful plunges. I sent photos and videos to my distributor and he suggested adjusting the outer ball guide that ends where the ball exits the shooter lane. At first I just tried bending it and that only helped slightly.

I determined that the ball guide was most likely not installed in the correct location. There are two mounting holes in the ball guide at the end where it curves. First I tried just loosening these screws and shifting the ball guide. The screws fit pretty tight in the mounting holes so I couldn't make much of an adjustment. I moved it as much as I could, but it wasn't enough. Then I decided that only way to shift the ball guide further would be to drill the ball guide mounting holes to a larger size. I hated the thought of doing this, but I hated the skill shot problem even more. I drilled out the holes and kept moving the guide, tightening the screws, and performing test plunges. It took about 5-6 tries before I finally got it into a position that worked. I did this back in February and have had a 99% plunge skill shot success rate ever since. TWDPIC.jpg

#8 3 years ago

All about the ball guide!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

I had this same issue except well over 50% of the time the ball would hit the pop bumpers first and not reach the skill shot. I tried adjusting the plunger with only a slight variation in the amount of successful plunges. I sent photos and videos to my distributor and he suggested adjusting the outer ball guide that ends where the ball exits the shooter lane. At first I just tried bending it and that only helped slightly.
I determined that the ball guide was most likely not installed in the correct location. There are two mounting holes in the ball guide at the end where it curves. First I tried just loosening these screws and shifting the ball guide. The screws fit pretty tight in the mounting holes so I couldn't make much of an adjustment. I moved it as much as I could, but it wasn't enough. Then I decided that only way to shift the ball guide further would be to drill the ball guide mounting holes to a larger size. I hated the thought of doing this, but I hated the skill shot problem even more. I drilled out the holes and kept moving the guide, tightening the screws, and performing test plunges. It took about 5-6 tries before I finally got it into a position that worked. I did this back in February and have had a 99% plunge skill shot success rate ever since. TWDPIC.jpg

You can also use a very small crescent wrench on the end of the metal guide to slightly bend and adjust it. You don't have to redrill holes that way.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

You can also use a very small crescent wrench on the end of the metal guide to slightly bend and adjust it. You don't have to redrill holes that way.

I don't recommend redrilling those holes unless nothing else works. I only did that as a last resort after not getting good results from bending the guide. Either way I hope the OP can correct the issue. TWD is now my favorite pin.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I lowered the pitch even more and it doesn't make a difference. No matter what the pitch it, it has this problem.

I've played a pro on location for the last year and this problem didn't exist.

Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Then I decided that only way to shift the ball guide further would be to drill the ball guide mounting holes to a larger size.

Yikes, as you state, this is the last thing I'd want to do.

Do you guys think that rather than the holes being in the wrong place, that there were just some misaligned guides that went out from Stern?

#12 3 years ago

LodgingDolphin, how difficult is it to access that metal guide? It seems complicated removing those ramps.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Gusphan:

LodgingDolphin, how difficult is it to access that metal guide? It seems complicated removing those ramps.

If I remember correctly there was a plastic piece or two that had to be removed with a few screws. Then I loosened the ramp enough to slide it out of the way. After all that it was a tight space to work in, but still manageable. Definitely try other suggestions first. I only drilled out the openings on the guide itself and nothing on the playfield was modified.

I regretted this purchase at first due to this problem and the early code. Now with updated code and the problem fixed it's the best (most fun) pin I've ever owned.

#14 3 years ago

I was at a collector's house last night that has an LE and the plunger was working like it should. So I snapped some pics of the metal rail guide to compare to mine. Wow - it's obvious now why mine is not working properly.

Here's the two pics for comparison. Notice the white arrows. My game is the one where the metal rail guide is far away from the plastic, compared to the other pic. This is why I'm not getting a good plunge 40% of the time:

twd bent.jpg

twd good.jpg

Since I'm not the only one having this problem, it looks like some of us got a bad batch. I've reached out to my distributor, asking him to request a new metal rail guide from Stern. Hope this helps everyone.

#15 3 years ago

I think you should try to loosen the bolts on the guide rail and try to adjust it.
IMO - a new replacement guide rail will be exactly the same as the one you have. The rail itself isn't the issue, it's the positioning of the rail.

#16 3 years ago

TZ, per lodgingdolpin's post, it doesn't appear that would work. He tried that, along with bending the guide, and it wasn't enough.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Gusphan:

This is why I'm not getting a good plunge 40% of the time:

Sounds like a serious problem. I recommend watching Dodge ball, they have good recommendations for plunging.

#18 3 years ago

image.jpeg
For me it was my oneway gate, the arm that is streight was actually going over the phillips screw and wedging itself just a little when it dropped making the ball sorta slam through it on some plunges. Which i guess made it turn one way or the other, i just did 12 balls in a row with no issues. The pic is after i took it out and grinded about an 1/8" off of it-no more wedging. Before this i also slighty bent the end of my guide toward the upper playfield and it help somewhat

#19 3 years ago

Im not very impressed with stern, this was my first NIB purchase, the problem above, compounded with the fact that they forgot to plug in the lower pf and coin door harness in the cab, screws not torqued down, ect. And there is no explaination of the game rules in the manual.

#20 3 years ago

The game rules are there for you to discover. Some info is present on the apron cards, and the rest can be discovered by playing it.
What changed software wise can be viewed in the software update readme file on their site.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Gusphan:

TZ, per lodgingdolpin's post, it doesn't appear that would work. He tried that, along with bending the guide, and it wasn't enough.

Possibly, but your situation might not be exactly the same. I'm sure it's the ball guide, but it's very easy to just loosen things up and try to re-position and re-tighten.

I'm pretty sure the new ball guide will be exactly the same as your current ball guide. If so, how would that help anything?

#23 3 years ago

Thanks Gusphan and Wisefwumyogwave for the tips on the plunger area. I made a vid about the install of the topper and talking about the plunger area where my machine was having the same issue. When I got the machine, the plunger was smashing into the auto plunger right out of the box. Had to spend several hours fixing that issue first, then this issue with the plunger getting the ball to the skill shot. Now it seems like it shoots about 90% to the skill shot.

MOD INSTALL : WALKING DEAD FISH TANK TOPPER INSTALL AND SHOOTER LANE TWEAK

Blog Post :
https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/12/22/mod-install-walking-dead-fish-tank-topper-install-and-shooter-lane-tweak/

Video of Install :

RCRQ7PB.jpg

RI86LOX.jpg

2 years later
#24 11 months ago

Hello, I realize this is an old thread but I found a fix for shooter lane issues with the ball going into the pops. All I did was add a small spacer under the gate screw of the shooter lane. See picture. These spacers are found in many games. This spacer eliminates the gate from binding on the screw. This solved the problem 100% without having to do any or modifications. I hope this is helpful.

0EE8B447-8EF4-4AD2-A866-3797FBA67B5E (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 445.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 499.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside