20%
  • do not buy this game ... 7 votes
    6%

(117 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
walking_dead_premium_or_pro.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Hasi:

i had the pro... take the premium. you will miss this fantastic light show!

I actually dislike the premium light show. The Red looks pretty bad in general and none of the GI is every always full on. The pro, with some modified LEDs looks much better in my opinion in this regard.

Quoted from musketd:

Pro is much faster and harder

There's nothing in the pro that makes the game faster or harder. This is a pretty silly statement. It's neither.

Quoted from tpn2011:

I had the pro sold it to buy a premium but that was a big mistake go for the pro game play is much better !!!

The two games play pretty much the same. There's nothing about the pro game play that's better. I just sold my pro and bought a premium this week and am not finding a difference.

Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I can almost guarantee zero are. Why would you? You would just buy a pro instead.

Not zero. I hate the well walker magnet. I am not interested in having a good game destroyed by the magnet tossing the ball into the outlane, for example. Disabling this irritating magnet was the first thing I did. I hate the "light show" GI in the premium and the well walker magnet. But I still like the bicycle girl ramp, crossbow, and most importantly, the walker bombs more than not having them which is why I didnt keep the pro.

I do not believe the pro is faster or slower. The woodbury shot is not made often so it is not much of a game changer either way having a drop target there. Between the two games, I do not believe the pro is harder. In fact the pro is easier because:
1) Bicycle girl mode: the pro you shoot the ramp which is a safer shot than hitting a bash toy where the ball sometimes comes down uncontrollable.
2) Well walker magnet: this tosses the ball down the drain. Makes the pro easier.
3) Woodbury drop target: hitting this is a quick ricochet back down the middle on the premium. It's very dangerous.

The walker bombs are the only thing that make the premium easier. I was able to (for example) restart horde after a double drain using them. I guess for this reason perhaps the difficulty can be marked a wash between the two.

I will also say that out of the box, my pro played great. Out of the box, my premium played terrible and wasn't at all fun. It took a whole day of tweaking to get things playing great (was worth it, but sure was a hassle).

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Might as well hilton up the outlanes and add a some starposts between the flippers.

I cant make any sense of this. You must be too drunk to type But if the magnet was frustrating me, why not disable it? The pro does't have the magnet and I didn't feel frustration playing the pro. I upgraded from the pro to the premium mainly for the walker bombs not for another magnet that tosses the ball around. It's simply solved by disabling the magnet.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Here is my $.02
I have a pro and love the game. I would love to have an LE/Prem, it seems very very cool, but the price difference is too much for what you get IMO.
Everybody raves about the walker bombs, and some even say that's the reason they bought the Prem/Le. Those sound pretty cool and I'd love to have them, but are they worth $1500-$2000 more? I don't think so. All you're really getting with walker bombs is a $2 button and software.

I upgraded this week from a pro to premium only for this feature. It's a game changer much like acdc vip pass. The feature has nothing to do with BOM of the parts.

Just last night, I was playing a game and on ball 3, around 150 mil points, I was in prison multiball (maybe stacked with blood bath). I double drained and my game should have ended. I noticed the lit button on my lockdown bar and quickly button mashed it. I was able to restart prison multiball due to add-a-ball and ended up making it to horde and ended up at about 600 mil. This feature is worth it alone and is a strategic game changer. This is why we love Lyman games.

Quoted from NightTrain:

I think Stern could put walker bombs in a pro very easily. You could use the start button to activate them. This wouldn't restart the game since you have the hold the start button to restart. They could even extend the restart button hold to 5 seconds or so. Also, if you're playing a 1 player game, they would have to get the game to stop adding another player on ball 1. Easily done, just only allow the player to add another player for the first 10-15 seconds or so. Kudos to Stern for tricking people into paying a ton more for a game for a $2 button. I don't like it, but it's a smart business move to get more money.

Using the start button would be super lame. First, you can hit the start button without taking your hands off the flippers - which is the point of this feature. Second, route ops care more about people being able to add players than use walker bombs. Third, this has nothing to do with stern tricking people. The game feature was conceived by the software lead while he was playing the game. It was not conceived in a business meeting to determine how to force more premium sales.

Quoted from NightTrain:

I also hear a lot of complaints about the BG ramp, so I've go no problem with that missing from the pro. There are already 2 bash toys, I'm not dying without a third one.

My bicycle ramp works perfectly. Works as well as my pro ramp did. There's nothing to complain about here once you solve any potential issues and install the fix kit. It's true that more mechanical features may result in more tweaking or fixes needed. But this isn't a valid reason to not have a version of the game. The game is a game of shooting zombies. You need as many bash toys here as possible.

Quoted from NightTrain:

The magnet in front the the well walker, don't mind not having it at all. I actually like to be able to hit him and know where my ball will be after that. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE magnets, but the prison has one, so I've got my magnet fix on that game. I also hear that the well walker magnet is too close to the flippers and creates some brutal drains at times. No need to make this game any tougher than it already is.

Couldn't agree more. I hate this magnet and have disabled it.

Quoted from NightTrain:

The crossbow, I'd like to have that, but I also hear a lot of complaints about it. I wish that on the pro, they would give you 3 seconds or so to control the ball instead of killing the crossbow shot on the first switch hit. It would nice to be able to get the ball to the right flipper to shoot some left side shots first

The crossbow works fine and is a cool feature. Added in with the other premium features it's definitely value add.

Quoted from NightTrain:

The $10 spinner....don't care at all that it's missing.
The $10 drop target...don't care at all that it's missing.

Again, not that BOM matters, but these are definitely not $10 parts. The drop target, for example, requires a target, a switch, a target reset coil, a bracket, perhaps an aux board for added coils, and N hours of programming to make it all work.

Quoted from NightTrain:

The fish tank...don't care at all that it's missing.
The light show...now that is something I would like to have, but not a deal breaker for me.

To be honest, you can add a fish tank to your pro. And I think the premium GI light show is terrible. The red GI looks awful. The pro can have all warm whites in the GI which are then always on and look great. The reds on the premium just look terrible and color bomb the hell out of the plastics. I managed to swap all these with frosted reds to tone down the color bombing and it looks better. But I could easily live without the GI light show.

The rgb arrow inserts, however, add a lot to the game as different colors means different things on actual game play shots. Green arrows during multiball stacked with some modes, for example tell you it's time for super jackpots.

Quoted from NightTrain:

So all in all, I'm very happy with the pro. I don't see myself upgrading to a premium. Maybe if it was $500 more, but not at the price point they are at now. I'd rather save that money and have more games. I would say if you're budget minded, go with the pro. You won't be disappointed.

I agree that if you're happy with the pro you should stick with it. It's great to save money. But saving money is a separate issue than degrading the upgrades and arguing they are not worth having. Many of us are out of space so adding another game is not a consideration and many of us don't find $1500 to be a life changing amount of money. The pro is a great machine. But the premium is definitely superior and worth the additional costs of you can afford them.

Keep in mind also that people usually don't keep a game for the rest of their lives. A used premium will fetch ~$1500 over a used pro so you'd get all that money back on sale. I'm not saying you will always get all your money back, but the difference between premium and pro you will.

#61 8 years ago

I always hate this reference to arguing to justify a purchase. It's dumb and false. Obviously a premium owner thinks the premium is better or he woulda bought the pro. The pro owner should have valid reasons for not upgrading of he woukda bought the premium. In this case, I think the pro is a great machine. I prefer having no magnet on well walker (easily fixed) and hate the prem GI (not easily fixed but easily made manageable). Features I love on the prem are walker bombs, crossbow, bicycle ramp, and color rgb inserts.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Nice debate. Stern wants to give people different rules based on the game model, and there's nothing we can do about it. Stop buying Premium/LE, Stern will think people don't want the extra features. Stop buying Pros and Stern will think that the rule changes make the Pro obsolete. I'd rather see a single gameplay platform, but alas, it's a losing cause.

Yea I don't think so. Again, walker bombs was a feature conceived of by Lyman as he played the game on his own. It was not something decided in a business meeting and deployed by "Stern" to cause more sales of the higher models.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.95
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 26.95
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walkind-dead-pro-or-premium?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.