20%
  • do not buy this game ... 7 votes
    6%

(117 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
walking_dead_premium_or_pro.jpg
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Here is my $.02
I have a pro and love the game. I would love to have an LE/Prem, it seems very very cool, but the price difference is too much for what you get IMO.
Everybody raves about the walker bombs, and some even say that's the reason they bought the Prem/Le. Those sound pretty cool and I'd love to have them, but are they worth $1500-$2000 more? I don't think so. All you're really getting with walker bombs is a $2 button and software. I think Stern could put walker bombs in a pro very easily. You could use the start button to activate them. This wouldn't restart the game since you have the hold the start button to restart. They could even extend the restart button hold to 5 seconds or so. Also, if you're playing a 1 player game, they would have to get the game to stop adding another player on ball 1. Easily done, just only allow the player to add another player for the first 10-15 seconds or so. Kudos to Stern for tricking people into paying a ton more for a game for a $2 button. I don't like it, but it's a smart business move to get more money.
I also hear a lot of complaints about the BG ramp, so I've go no problem with that missing from the pro. There are already 2 bash toys, I'm not dying without a third one.
The magnet in front the the well walker, don't mind not having it at all. I actually like to be able to hit him and know where my ball will be after that. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE magnets, but the prison has one, so I've got my magnet fix on that game. I also hear that the well walker magnet is too close to the flippers and creates some brutal drains at times. No need to make this game any tougher than it already is.
The crossbow, I'd like to have that, but I also hear a lot of complaints about it. I wish that on the pro, they would give you 3 seconds or so to control the ball instead of killing the crossbow shot on the first switch hit. It would nice to be able to get the ball to the right flipper to shoot some left side shots first.
The $10 spinner....don't care at all that it's missing.
The $10 drop target...don't care at all that it's missing.
The fish tank...don't care at all that it's missing.
The light show...now that is something I would like to have, but not a deal breaker for me.
So all in all, I'm very happy with the pro. I don't see myself upgrading to a premium. Maybe if it was $500 more, but not at the price point they are at now. I'd rather save that money and have more games. I would say if you're budget minded, go with the pro. You won't be disappointed.

Too bad thumbs down doesn't exist anymore

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Pro. The ramp diverter on the Prem I saw worked like *hi* and felt annoying, rather than an added feature I can't like without. Crossbow=poor design and implementation. I could go on, but there is no point. People gonna buy what they buy.
Now this is a huge generalization but... I have yet to see a real showstopper from Stern that would make me spend thousands more on a Prem/LE game. When I do see it, I will let Pinside know. Trying to be subjective about all these "awesome" features, but they are 90% "eye candy" IMHO.

Probably the stupidest thing I've read on this thread. Expected from a pro owner trying to justify a lessor machine. Not even worthy of a good response

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Too bad thumbs down doesn't exist anymore

LOL! I was waiting for your response. If anyone is ever looking for quartergrabber, just post something not 100% positive about TWD pre/LE. He will come running as fast as he can to jump in front of that bullet! I swear, you are always right on someones ass that says the pro is good for any reason, and you immediately have to say why they're an idiot.

Probably the stupidest thing I've read on this thread. Expected from a pro owner trying to justify a lessor machine. Not even worthy of a good response

Just look at how rude you are. Do you really think that's an appropriate response. Did you actually give birth to TWD premium/LE? Is that why you always have it's back no matter what. If it killed someone, would you take them blame?

Maybe, just maybe, you could let someone have an opinion that's different than yours and just accept the fact that they are entitled to that opinion.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

LOL! I was waiting for your response. If anyone is ever looking for quartergrabber, just post something not 100% positive about TWD pre/LE. He will come running as fast as he can to jump in front of that bullet! I swear, you are always right on someones ass that says the pro is good for any reason, and you immediately have to say why they're an idiot.

Just look at how rude you are. Do you really think that's an appropriate response. Did you actually give birth to TWD premium/LE? Is that why you always have it's back no matter what. If it killed someone, would you take them blame?

I'm not disputing the pro is a good machine in its own right. What I am disputing and will continue to dispute is that the "pro plays better/faster" that "the pro is the better machine"......... Ummmmm NO! If you are on a budget the Pro is a good machine to pick up, better then a lot of the recent Sterns. And yes I will step in front of a bullet for TWD LE. It killed three people last week and I took the rap, ALL THREE TIMES!

#55 8 years ago

I'm not disputing the pro is a good machine in its own right. What I am disputing and will continue to dispute is that the "pro plays better/faster" that "the pro is the better machine"......... Ummmmm NO! If you are on a budget the Pro is a good machine to pick up, better then a lot of the recent Sterns. And yes I will step in front of a bullet for TWD LE

Did I ever once say that the "pro plays better/fast" or that "the pro is the better machine"......
Ummmmmmm NO! I simply explained in detail why I didn't think the added cost was worth it TO ME for the premium/LE.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Did I ever once say that the "pro plays better/fast" or that "the pro is the better machine"......
Ummmmmmm NO! I simply explained in detail why I didn't think the added cost was worth it TO ME for the premium/LE.

Let's not make this all about you sweetheart

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Maybe, just maybe, you could let someone have an opinion that's different than yours and just accept the fact that they are entitled to that opinion.

Don't mention ST.. STLE is the best LE ever

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Here is my $.02
I have a pro and love the game. I would love to have an LE/Prem, it seems very very cool, but the price difference is too much for what you get IMO.
Everybody raves about the walker bombs, and some even say that's the reason they bought the Prem/Le. Those sound pretty cool and I'd love to have them, but are they worth $1500-$2000 more? I don't think so. All you're really getting with walker bombs is a $2 button and software.

I upgraded this week from a pro to premium only for this feature. It's a game changer much like acdc vip pass. The feature has nothing to do with BOM of the parts.

Just last night, I was playing a game and on ball 3, around 150 mil points, I was in prison multiball (maybe stacked with blood bath). I double drained and my game should have ended. I noticed the lit button on my lockdown bar and quickly button mashed it. I was able to restart prison multiball due to add-a-ball and ended up making it to horde and ended up at about 600 mil. This feature is worth it alone and is a strategic game changer. This is why we love Lyman games.

Quoted from NightTrain:

I think Stern could put walker bombs in a pro very easily. You could use the start button to activate them. This wouldn't restart the game since you have the hold the start button to restart. They could even extend the restart button hold to 5 seconds or so. Also, if you're playing a 1 player game, they would have to get the game to stop adding another player on ball 1. Easily done, just only allow the player to add another player for the first 10-15 seconds or so. Kudos to Stern for tricking people into paying a ton more for a game for a $2 button. I don't like it, but it's a smart business move to get more money.

Using the start button would be super lame. First, you can hit the start button without taking your hands off the flippers - which is the point of this feature. Second, route ops care more about people being able to add players than use walker bombs. Third, this has nothing to do with stern tricking people. The game feature was conceived by the software lead while he was playing the game. It was not conceived in a business meeting to determine how to force more premium sales.

Quoted from NightTrain:

I also hear a lot of complaints about the BG ramp, so I've go no problem with that missing from the pro. There are already 2 bash toys, I'm not dying without a third one.

My bicycle ramp works perfectly. Works as well as my pro ramp did. There's nothing to complain about here once you solve any potential issues and install the fix kit. It's true that more mechanical features may result in more tweaking or fixes needed. But this isn't a valid reason to not have a version of the game. The game is a game of shooting zombies. You need as many bash toys here as possible.

Quoted from NightTrain:

The magnet in front the the well walker, don't mind not having it at all. I actually like to be able to hit him and know where my ball will be after that. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE magnets, but the prison has one, so I've got my magnet fix on that game. I also hear that the well walker magnet is too close to the flippers and creates some brutal drains at times. No need to make this game any tougher than it already is.

Couldn't agree more. I hate this magnet and have disabled it.

Quoted from NightTrain:

The crossbow, I'd like to have that, but I also hear a lot of complaints about it. I wish that on the pro, they would give you 3 seconds or so to control the ball instead of killing the crossbow shot on the first switch hit. It would nice to be able to get the ball to the right flipper to shoot some left side shots first

The crossbow works fine and is a cool feature. Added in with the other premium features it's definitely value add.

Quoted from NightTrain:

The $10 spinner....don't care at all that it's missing.
The $10 drop target...don't care at all that it's missing.

Again, not that BOM matters, but these are definitely not $10 parts. The drop target, for example, requires a target, a switch, a target reset coil, a bracket, perhaps an aux board for added coils, and N hours of programming to make it all work.

Quoted from NightTrain:

The fish tank...don't care at all that it's missing.
The light show...now that is something I would like to have, but not a deal breaker for me.

To be honest, you can add a fish tank to your pro. And I think the premium GI light show is terrible. The red GI looks awful. The pro can have all warm whites in the GI which are then always on and look great. The reds on the premium just look terrible and color bomb the hell out of the plastics. I managed to swap all these with frosted reds to tone down the color bombing and it looks better. But I could easily live without the GI light show.

The rgb arrow inserts, however, add a lot to the game as different colors means different things on actual game play shots. Green arrows during multiball stacked with some modes, for example tell you it's time for super jackpots.

Quoted from NightTrain:

So all in all, I'm very happy with the pro. I don't see myself upgrading to a premium. Maybe if it was $500 more, but not at the price point they are at now. I'd rather save that money and have more games. I would say if you're budget minded, go with the pro. You won't be disappointed.

I agree that if you're happy with the pro you should stick with it. It's great to save money. But saving money is a separate issue than degrading the upgrades and arguing they are not worth having. Many of us are out of space so adding another game is not a consideration and many of us don't find $1500 to be a life changing amount of money. The pro is a great machine. But the premium is definitely superior and worth the additional costs of you can afford them.

Keep in mind also that people usually don't keep a game for the rest of their lives. A used premium will fetch ~$1500 over a used pro so you'd get all that money back on sale. I'm not saying you will always get all your money back, but the difference between premium and pro you will.

#59 8 years ago

Well said! That is exactly what he was doing. Bashing the premium/LE features to justify his pro. He even made an entire separate troll thread about it. Someone has some free time on their hands.

#60 8 years ago

I don't own the game. But keep on "assuming", I don't mind others ignorance.

Using your logic, why couldn't any "pro owner" suggest that you are justifying your purchase of a premium with these same facts? "Better" machine is an opinion. Cash is fact. There is a difference. Are there any premium features on any Stern that are poorly implemented in your opinion? Please use examples. warning: cheap attempt to call out a PrEma Donna, Stern fanboy.

There's no reason to criticize user's opinions as to the price difference of a Pro/Prem Stern. People are going to state opinions on both machines in a thread like this...

It's not fair to interject crazy reasonings like - "that guy likes the pro better, he must be poor or wrong." Anyone displaying these beliefs is just jumping to conclusions.

#61 8 years ago

I always hate this reference to arguing to justify a purchase. It's dumb and false. Obviously a premium owner thinks the premium is better or he woulda bought the pro. The pro owner should have valid reasons for not upgrading of he woukda bought the premium. In this case, I think the pro is a great machine. I prefer having no magnet on well walker (easily fixed) and hate the prem GI (not easily fixed but easily made manageable). Features I love on the prem are walker bombs, crossbow, bicycle ramp, and color rgb inserts.

#62 8 years ago

LE plays better then the premium, and its faster.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I upgraded this week from a pro to premium only for this feature. It's a game changer much like acdc vip pass. The feature has nothing to do with BOM of the parts.

Well said Markmon. All valid points. Ya never know, maybe I'll end up getting a premium one of these days. I do love this game and it's quickly becoming my favorite in my modest collection. I may want to have the full featured version of my favorite game. $1500 is definitely not life changing and could be worth it. If a used premium were to pop up locally, I'd definitely be tempted to pick it up. For now though, I'm happy as hell with the pro and money in the pocket. Thanks for the well versed response!

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I don't own the game. But keep on "assuming", I don't mind others ignorance.
Using your logic, why couldn't any "pro owner" suggest that you are justifying your purchase of a premium with these same facts? "Better" machine is an opinion. Cash is fact. There is a difference. Are there any premium features on any Stern that are poorly implemented in your opinion? Please use examples. warning: cheap attempt to call out a PrEma Donna, Stern fanboy.
There's no reason to criticize user's opinions as to the price difference of a Pro/Prem Stern. People are going to state opinions on both machines in a thread like this...
It's not fair to interject crazy reasonings like - "that guy likes the pro better, he must be poor or wrong." Anyone displaying these beliefs is just jumping to conclusions...

Yeah, stern fanboy, sure. More then half my collection isn't even stern and I have been pulling away from stern and more towards the boutique companies lately. The point is he was specifically making points to bash the premium/LE version. You can label it as an"opinion" but people with half a brain in their head will see it for what it actually is. Warning: cheap attempt to call out an attention seeker and BW fanboy

#65 8 years ago

Warning: cheap attempt to call out an attention seeker and BW fanboy

Yeah, I guess I deserve that... but in my defense, I have owned 80+ pins from 13 different pinball Manufacturers.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Yeah, I guess I deserve that... but in my defense, I have owned 80+ pins from 13 different pinball Manufacturers.

Yeah I was just fooling around. It's just the Internet, nothing's serious here

#67 8 years ago

thank you for all your comments
I now think the two versions (PRO and PREMIUM) are great games
and the final choice depends largely on the budget ...
everyone does what they want
and I think everyone would agree: THE WALKING DEAD is a great game (PRO, LE or PREMIUM)

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from IBARAKURO:

I think everyone would agree: THE Walking Dead is a great game (PRO, LE or PREMIUM)

Yes. Both versions are awesome. It's funny when I think about how much I disliked this game when it first came out and how much I like it now. Thank Lyman and the team for the great code the game has now.

#69 8 years ago

I should mention a few things that i hated on the premium that i now love.

1. Lighting - At first, i absolutely despised it and thought it was an epic fail. And Now...... love it! really brings you into the true nature of the theme with zombies, blood, and survival.

2. Crossbow - thought it was a waste. Plus, for the first week or 2 my crossbow didnt work consistently which ended up being the prison zombie switch getting activated by the doors opening/closing - fixed! And now....Love it! Love the skill involved on aiming for one of the shots and the satisfaction of hitting the shot is greatly enhanced. I do think scoring should be vastly increased for it and xbow mb be easier to achieve somehow. but the xbow is fun!

3. BG ramp - ok, i dont love this feature - but there are times where its much cooler to aim and shoot for a zombie target than just hitting the ramp.

Another false myth on the premium upgrades i'd like to mention:
Spinners are not a $10 bom. Unlike some pro v prem spinner debates where the only difference is sound effects; there are actual rules tied into the spinners on twd. I got a 55 million spinner jackpot once for kriminee sake, that was freaking sweet!

All in all i do agree both versions are great and when i was on the hunt for which to get (prem or pro), one post stuck out and i think it holds true, it went something like this....if you've never played a premium and never will or care to, then pro is the way to go.

EDIT: oh, and i do think the LE/Pro translight is better than the premium. I may buy a pro translight and swap it, but something my wife did on halloween to my premium translight makes it ssoooooooo much cooler, i actually like it now! and, may just stick with it. I'll post a pic when i get home - its a small little thing but adds so much

#70 8 years ago

So are the Walker bombs just like smart missile from Jurassic Park and Last Action Hero? Just wanted to know exactly what it is.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

. I may buy a pro translight and swap it, but something my wife did on halloween to my premium translight makes it ssoooooooo much cooler, i actually like it now! and, may just stick with it. I'll post a pic when i get home - its a small little thing but adds so much

Here's that little novelty item my wife added to the translight on Halloween. Nothing big but I dig it.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

So are the Walker bombs just like smart missile from Jurassic Park and Last Action Hero? Just wanted to know exactly what it is.

Yeah pretty much

#73 8 years ago

Love my Pro zero intentions of upgrading either it's just keeps pulling me back for one more game.

#74 8 years ago

Ive watched Bowens tutorial. I could not tell if he was saying X or Axe

getting my pro in the next few days.

#75 8 years ago

Is it possible to change the calls outs or was that blocked as well in the latest update(s)?

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

Is it possible to change the calls outs or was that blocked as well in the latest update(s)?

Easy to change with one simple file update. Did you finally get one?

#77 8 years ago

Nice debate. Stern wants to give people different rules based on the game model, and there's nothing we can do about it. Stop buying Premium/LE, Stern will think people don't want the extra features. Stop buying Pros and Stern will think that the rule changes make the Pro obsolete. I'd rather see a single gameplay platform, but alas, it's a losing cause.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Nice debate. Stern wants to give people different rules based on the game model, and there's nothing we can do about it. Stop buying Premium/LE, Stern will think people don't want the extra features. Stop buying Pros and Stern will think that the rule changes make the Pro obsolete. I'd rather see a single gameplay platform, but alas, it's a losing cause.

Yea I don't think so. Again, walker bombs was a feature conceived of by Lyman as he played the game on his own. It was not something decided in a business meeting and deployed by "Stern" to cause more sales of the higher models.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

LE's with different rules has been happening since Tron and DP multiball. No one stopped buying premiums/LE's after that, and they won't after this either.

#80 8 years ago

I have absolutely no problem saying that after the tutorial Bowen posted, I am keeping my eye on this game. We have one in a local pub and grub place here in Dayton, and I want to play this game more. Unfortunately, I would be willing to bet the new code has not been installed on it, unless it is Trent's location game, then there might be a possibility.

Either way, with 2 NIB games in the collection now, TWD may be the next one up in a year or so. Looks great!! Just goes to show if Lyman can polish the code, it is worth the wait

#81 8 years ago

First code may have been weak, but that is usually the case with modern pinball releases. I trusted Lyman as the programmer and bought early, and with the first TWD update one month after the LE release about a year ago the machine really started to shine with owners.

TWD machine sensitivities to setup make it less than ideal to evaluate and rate on location, but many of its strengths (e.g., coding, sounds, dots) stand out in home use.

Check out the dead flip vid since you liked the bowen vid! Lots of fun. It's a prem model at the stern factory, with Lyman playing, and Gary Stern too.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lyman-sheats-on-dead-flip-tonight#post-2771899

#82 8 years ago

Bowen's tutorial is responsible for me ordering TWD. I heard some great things about the new code, but never having played this machine in real life, I never really understood the rules or the attraction to this title, in general at all. The layout and the call-outs did very little for me and this title was all but dead(sic)
for me for a long time.

Watching the tutorial, something suddenly clicked. Wow, this rule-set is incredible. Killing zombies looks like a lot of fun

This proves how important it is to the companies to have tutorials like this. Stern, Heighway, Dutch, JJP etc should all give out free machines to papa for this reason, alone. They would also be supporting a superb org. that does all it can to promote pinball to the masses.
(The Full Throttle pinball tutorial is also fab)

I choose the premium, mainly because of the light show, the bombs and the spinners but the pro also looks like a great machine to own.

Another reason why I choose the premium was that I really think the mods for Bicycle girl (extra lights) and a more crossbow like add-on makes the game look that much more exciting.

#83 8 years ago

Dead_flip's video with Lyman Sheets playing the premium at Stern's factory was what almost made me pull the trigger. The game is really fun to watch for some reason (it helps that I love the theme). Seems like a good balance of short and long ball times as well. Anyway, I agree that getting game play on video is a huge promotional tool. Once Stern gets their new games on Pinball Arcade, look out.

#84 8 years ago

Much debate on Pinside over Pro vs Premium/LE. Seems like both are great games! In the end, after reading how good the game was with the new code, the sound mod, the tutorial and all the damn threads that kept popping up giving the game praise, I decided I had to get one. Ended up going premium, I figure if any of the issues I've read about that bother me like BG ramp or magnet causing drains in front of the bash toy I'll just disable them. There was a $1700 price difference between the two, but I'm thinking if I ever decide to sell I'll recoup a good portion of that. I've got my mods ordered and my games is getting delivered Tuesday. Great Experience with Steve and Gio at Pinball Refinery.

#85 8 years ago

Get whatever TF you like! The premium/LE has MUCH more to offer. That doesn't mean that the Pro isn't really good. It is.

I think you need to have everything the best pin ever has to offer, period.

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Get whatever TF you like!

I like the Decepticons version. Oh wait a second...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Glendale, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 26.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walkind-dead-pro-or-premium/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.