Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MTPPC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spraynard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

On my way back from looking at a taxi after a 2.5 hour drive. The cabinet and bg were great, the pf wasn't bad. However when I got there I noticed the spinout ramp was cracked and had glue or epoxy or something on it. One of the tabs had broken off it too, and it didn't feel sturdily attached to the pf. The arrival ramp was also cracked, and taped back together. The guy was asking $1600. I felt that was too high, and he wouldn't budge, so I walked away.

I hate driving out so far to return with nothing, but it just didn't feel right. There is more to the story though. Last week I purchased a WCS from the same guy. (It is very nice and I am happy with it). I noticed the taxi then, and my initial view of it, it looked pretty good. I didn't do a deep inspection of it because I was there for the wcs. Anyway, I made a $1200 offer on it. He declined and i left. Called him again later, he said a buyer in Cali offered to pay him $1600 and have it shipped, but he would pass on the offer for $1600 cash. I said okay, offered to give him a deposit, he declined as long as I didn't leave him hanging.

I don't know what to feel. I clearly screwed up his other deal, but it's not like I just didn't get back to him. I drove 2.5 hours out there, only to discover it's not nearly as nice as he was boasting. Thoughts? Would you have handled it differently? I apologized profusely, but he was clearly pissed, so I feel kinda bad about the whole thing.

#38 10 years ago

Okay just got back. Wow, this thread really took off during my drive home! I wasn't expecting this level of opinion. I guess that more or less verifies the ambiguity of the situation. Interesting how most opinions are strong in either direction, ranging from "I was completely justified" to "I am what's wrong with this hobby". Thanks, brent149!

A lot of people are wondering if the seller misrepresented the machine. Well honestly it's ambiguous. The original CL post was deleted, and I don't remember exactly what was said, but I do remember him saying it was nice. Here is a text he sent me "This taxi is a steal at $1600 that's why a reseller is willing to pay that price and pay to have it picked up brought to him. $1600 cash it yours otherwise it leaves for Calif Tuesday am."

I don't recall him saying anything explicitly about the ramps. My bad for not explicitly asking. However, seeing as he was the only owner you'd think he'd remember doing the repairs. It's one thing to not realize something is broken, it's another to know it's broken, fix it, then "forget" to mention it. Seems like a big deal to me.

A lot of people are wondering if I agreed to buy and back out. Here's what I said in reply to the above text "Would you be willing to hold until Wednesday? I can give you a deposit or something." His reply-- "Ok......No deposit necessary just don't leave me hanging on this." Kinda iffy. I may be in the wrong here. However, it's important to point out that he supposedly had a deal arranged that he himself backed out of....."

I'll also mention that the guy is a route op and is selling all his machines because they don't make money. He does not play pinball and could give a shit about the hobby.

After giving it some thought, I feel less bad about backing out. Yeah I feel a little like I reneged, but I also don't feel like the seller was particularly honest either. I think the final moral is-- better communication. Ask explicit questions about condition, and don't rely on interpreting the sellers subjective opinions.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

Refusing a deposit was the seller's attempt to establish goodwill, knowing the OP was coming to look to 'guilt' the buyer into keeping his word, even though the full inspection may be less than favorable for the buyer.

You may be right there. In retrospect it sounded like a clever line.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from brent149:

The difference is you didn't guarantee that guy you'd buy it and tell him to call off another seller.

I never guaranteed anything. He made a previous deal and then backed out of it on his own.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 109.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spraynard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walked-away-from-a-dealwas-i-wrong?tu=spraynard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.