Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MTPPC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

On my way back from looking at a taxi after a 2.5 hour drive. The cabinet and bg were great, the pf wasn't bad. However when I got there I noticed the spinout ramp was cracked and had glue or epoxy or something on it. One of the tabs had broken off it too, and it didn't feel sturdily attached to the pf. The arrival ramp was also cracked, and taped back together. The guy was asking $1600. I felt that was too high, and he wouldn't budge, so I walked away.

I hate driving out so far to return with nothing, but it just didn't feel right. There is more to the story though. Last week I purchased a WCS from the same guy. (It is very nice and I am happy with it). I noticed the taxi then, and my initial view of it, it looked pretty good. I didn't do a deep inspection of it because I was there for the wcs. Anyway, I made a $1200 offer on it. He declined and i left. Called him again later, he said a buyer in Cali offered to pay him $1600 and have it shipped, but he would pass on the offer for $1600 cash. I said okay, offered to give him a deposit, he declined as long as I didn't leave him hanging.

I don't know what to feel. I clearly screwed up his other deal, but it's not like I just didn't get back to him. I drove 2.5 hours out there, only to discover it's not nearly as nice as he was boasting. Thoughts? Would you have handled it differently? I apologized profusely, but he was clearly pissed, so I feel kinda bad about the whole thing.

#2 6 years ago

Lol, there's always some "other guy" interested in a pin for sale. If it was more than you were willing to pay, no harm in turning it down. Move on and wait for an actual deal on a taxi

#3 6 years ago

Don't feel bad, if you felt it wasn't right then walk away you prob saved yourself some heartache and money.........

#4 6 years ago

You did good by walking away. You had your price. The seller didn't want to budge. It sounds pretty cut and dry.

#5 6 years ago

I once drove 6 hours one way to buy a Xenon. He said it was mint, NO PLAYFIELD WEAR at all and it was a 10/10. When I got there it had a ton of playfield wear that had been poorly touched up the tube ramp was cracked and the leds on top were missing. I mentioned the playfield wear and he said "oh, I never noticed that before". Yeah right, I was a newb and I noticed it right away. I was pissed, at this point these people know they have you because you drove so far and don't want to go home empty handed. So I turned the Xenon down and asked him to look at other machines he was selling. Every machine I looked at whether he was selling them or in his personal collection, I pointed out major flaws they had in them. I let him know his collection was in terrible shape and he should consider fixing up some of them or they would never sell. I had him just as pissed as I was when I left . What I learnt that day was before you travel a long distance to purchase a pin get the seller to send a ton of hi res pics and even a video if possible before you embark on your journey. If he says no you know there is something up right away. But once you make the trip it is too late at that point, they know they have you and the ball is in their court. That was my first newb lesson.

#6 6 years ago

If you agreed to his price of $1600 after having initially seen the game in person, I think you should have gone through with the deal even if it was slightly different than you remembered it when you went back to pick it up. Especially if you knew it possibly compromised another deal that the seller was working on. If I were in that position I would feel like it was my mistake for committing to a game I hadn't inspected well, and would swallow my pride / take the hit and buy it anyway. If you're really picky about condition and were ready to walk if the game wasn't in excellent shape, why didn't you just get a bunch of high res pics from the seller before agreeing to buy it and wasting both of your time driving out there and meeting up?

Incidentally, pretty much every spinout ramp in existence is cracked and repaired. It's one of the most universally damaged parts in all of pinball.

#7 6 years ago

Spray your fine you should always trust that feeling you have. I've done something similar, drove 3 hours to look at a STTNG and ended up walking away..it was tough but I felt like you and just did not want to pay as much as the seller wanted. Something better is waiting for you thats why you did not get it.

#8 6 years ago

Good to walk away. It was $600 overpriced even with a perfect spinout ramp.

if people learned to walk away from more deals and wouldn't be so compulsive on buying, price wouldn't be like they are.

#9 6 years ago

$1,600 for a broken Taxi!? you made the right call. There are always other pins!

#10 6 years ago

You did fine. He did not have a buyer in CA. Game over.

#11 6 years ago

Yeah, if you agreed to the price and had already seen it, you gave this dude your word and you backed out not cool man.....

#12 6 years ago

it's never a done deal till it's loaded in the truck.

#13 6 years ago

1600 is ok but not with a broken spinout. Hardest part to get.

#14 6 years ago

I think the op is asking if it's okay to back out on a made deal, not really questioning if the buy was a good buy on not, this is a total no no where I'm from your word is your bond, but from these posts it's looking like its generally accepted in the pinball community?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

it's never a done deal till it's loaded in the truck.

I agree

#16 6 years ago

That sounds awfully familiar to the Taxi in Ohio I was considering going out to look at...

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

On my way back from looking at a taxi after a 2.5 hour drive. The cabinet and bg were great, the pf wasn't bad. However when I got there I noticed the spinout ramp was cracked and had glue or epoxy or something on it. One of the tabs had broken off it too, and it didn't feel sturdily attached to the pf. The arrival ramp was also cracked, and taped back together. The guy was asking $1600. I felt that was too high, and he wouldn't budge, so I walked away.
I hate driving out so far to return with nothing, but it just didn't feel right. There is more to the story though. Last week I purchased a WCS from the same guy. (It is very nice and I am happy with it). I noticed the taxi then, and my initial view of it, it looked pretty good. I didn't do a deep inspection of it because I was there for the wcs. Anyway, I made a $1200 offer on it. He declined and i left. Called him again later, he said a buyer in Cali offered to pay him $1600 and have it shipped, but he would pass on the offer for $1600 cash. I said okay, offered to give him a deposit, he declined as long as I didn't leave him hanging.
I don't know what to feel. I clearly screwed up his other deal, but it's not like I just didn't get back to him. I drove 2.5 hours out there, only to discover it's not nearly as nice as he was boasting. Thoughts? Would you have handled it differently? I apologized profusely, but he was clearly pissed, so I feel kinda bad about the whole thing.

I had a similar situation, bought a RS from a guy, noticed a nice looking BSD while I was there. Got home and some months later the same guy was selling his BSD, we agreed on a price but it was subject to closer inspection. Made the drive from NC to MD only to discover my memory was kinder to the machine than it should have been. I did try to buy a nice Corvette (pin) from him while I was there but he wasn't selling. He offered up a GNR, I almost went for it but remembered I loathe Axel Rose and the audio was really poor (typical for these DE machines I understand) Ended up driving home empty handed.

#18 6 years ago

As they say, "A man is only as good as his word." If you told him you would take it at $1600 you broke your word. The "other buyer" part doesn't really matter. If you saw it earlier, then saw something you didn't like later, I suppose a reasonable seller would be willing to negotiate a little. But if he said, "Oh, I just found this receipt that proves it's HUO, I'd like a little more now" you'd probably be here rubbing his name through the mud

That said, it's just a pinball machine. Everyone will move on. This sort of thing happens a lot in the pinball world. Some (like myself) can be pretty forgiving, others will blacklist you and tell their friends. Best thing you can do (have done?) is apologize if you want to buy from him in the future, and find a way to learn from the experience (ie ask for more details before making a commitment).

#19 6 years ago

You did the right thing if you feel the value was now decreased significantly due to the imperfections ($300 or more). However, I definitely would have bought it if I felt the value was only effected by $100-$200. The reason for me would be I would value wasting my day (you probably spent 6 hours between driving and talking to him) and had some travel cost as well. My guess is you travelled about 300 miles in an SUV getting 15 miles to a gallon.....so you invested about $80 plus your time and wear and tear on your vehicle. So basically I look at it as I walked away from a $200 deposit between expenses and wasting my day (worth $100 to me at a minimum) if I didn't buy it....now I might find a better Taxi for $1,600 but now I have to do it all over again.....for me I would do the deal. Now if you were talking a $5K game that after looking at it you thought was worth $4K that is a totally different story.

I bought a total players condition Taxi for $800 and it was local. This sounds a lot nicer and the playfield was shot and there was broken plastics and again it was $800. So most likely the Taxi you are talking about was worth at least $1,300 and probably more. Funny thing about it is I am almost certain my ramp was PERFECT.....who knows how that happened as the rest of the game was definitely players condition.

Basically, you cost yourself $100 at least in expenses and time so you really lost time and money by not buying it and have to do it again. Just not worth it to me but that is my thought process and I would have been leaving with a Taxi that I probably still would have enjoyed as long as it played great and I felt that the misinformation didn't decrease the value by more then $200-$300 dollars. I would love to know what you offered him and if it was $1,400 you should have just took it for $1,600 in my opinion rather then make a 2 and a half hour drive without a pin....in his defense you did look at it prior so it had to be decent or you wouldn't have come back.

I once had a similar situation with a TZ. The guy misrepresented it and I drove over an hour. He wanted $4,500 but it had a screw hole in the playfield and a broken plastic and some other cosmetic issues. HE NEEDED $4,500 for a kitchen project. So me and my buddy got "creative". He had an INDY 500 next to it and we packaged the deal for $5,500 total (as I valued the Indy 500 which was really nice at $2K and the TZ at $3,500 in the condition it was in). If he wouldn't have budged for $1K and an hour and a half drive I would have had to pass on the deal. However, if it had only been a broken plastic I would have just done the deal for $4,500 then risk losing it.

You have nothing to be ashamed of in my opinion though.....like I said "YOU LOST TIME AND MONEY" and truly I felt you suffered MORE DAMAGES then he did...if the game is worth $1,600 he will sell it for that to someone else in my opinion...if not, he will not sell it to anyone.

#20 6 years ago

Don't feel bad at all, you made the right call!

#21 6 years ago

In all fairness, every Taxi's spinout ramp is broken. You can get the departure/arrival ramps on eBay. What's really an issue is $800 for a new playfield. If this game's playfield was in good shape (no discoloration/wear) the game's definitely worth over $1k. $1200 probably was a fair price and $1600 was too much.

#22 6 years ago

You say the same is "not as nice as he was boasting." Did he make misleading statements regarding the condition of the game?

Either way, I think you made the right choice for you. If he misled you regarding the condition of the game, you had every right to walk away. If you accepted his price without him saying something to the effect of "shit isn't broken on the game," it's kind of a dick move on your part, but most any reasonable person would've done the same.

#23 6 years ago

If the order of events are correct, I'm siding with the buyer. Seller did not have a fully disclosed sale firmed up @ $1,600 with a buyer in California. That sale was stated before the buyer 'committed'. Refusing a deposit was the seller's attempt to establish goodwill, knowing the OP was coming to look to 'guilt' the buyer into keeping his word, even though the full inspection may be less than favorable for the buyer. If there were a CA buyer, the seller need only contact them and tell the he will have it shipped when the funds clear. I'm sure the seller did not contact Cali and say "sorry, already sold" between the time of the offer and the OPs inspection.

Sellers do not get a free pass to lie.

#24 6 years ago

In Life: Always walk away from a bad deal. Cars, pins, women, etc.

Just my opinion.

Tom

#25 6 years ago

Show me a Taxi without a broken spinout, and i'll show you an NOS one I listed on RGP last year. It lasted 5 minutes and wasn't cheap.
I know of another, but the vendor won't release it from the rafters where it's been hanging for the last 25 years.

#26 6 years ago

Take the hit. You gave your word.

#27 6 years ago

To everyone who says the OP gave his word: ARE YOU OVERLOOKING THIS PART OF THE OP'S POST?

Quoted from Spraynard:

I drove 2.5 hours out there, only to discover it's not nearly as nice as he was boasting.

If the seller made false statements about the condition of the game, any agreement the OP made to purchase the game is null and void.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Venom_249:

I think the op is asking if it's okay to back out on a made deal, not really questioning if the buy was a good buy on not, this is a total no no where I'm from your word is your bond, but from these posts it's looking like its generally accepted in the pinball community?

Some people own multiples of the same game or they bought an extra ramp and put it in their game and when it comes time to sell sometimes the remove new ramps they have bought and put the old ones back in to sell the new ramps separately. Or if they have multiples they swap ramps with their "keeper" machine ect... Then when you come back and notice they say, "that's the way it was when you looked at it". And yes there is just as many shady people into pinball as good ones.

#29 6 years ago

But it's still just pinball. Not the end of the world. He'll get over it.

#30 6 years ago

Whenever I post/sell anything on CL, I always put in the ad, "first one here with cash wins!".
That way there is no "verbal" agreement and no one loses. If the buyer doesn't want the item, they can walk away. I'll just sell to the next person that answered the ad.

#31 6 years ago

I feel like I got screwed on my black knight (won't even boot now) which I paid $750 for, but it was a 4 hour drive each way to indianapolis, so it was hard to turn down. I know eventually I'll get it working, but it just sucks when you're told one story, and as you dig deep you find problem after problem. It's why I'm reluctant to drive further than 2 hours for a pin, so I have the option of saying no

#32 6 years ago

You are the one who should be pissed. He knows he misrepresented the pin. That's why he was pissed off. At that point you should have said I just drove 2.5 hrs. How bout giving me 60 bucks for gas? I actually had an experience like this when I drove an hr to see what the seller claimed to be a mint huo spy hunter pin. It was complete junk and a complete misrepresentation of what he stated on the phone. In order to avoid an awkward situation I just said... Gotta go get my money in my SUV and drove off.... He finally stopped calling after 2 days. Can only imagine the wheels turning in his head. lol

#33 6 years ago

People like this are what's wrong with the hobby. You could have always asked for more pics or details. Nobody knows the meaning of firmly committing anymore. You can't promise to take something and back out. That's called a dick move. Moral of the story: always take a deposit.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Some people own multiples of the same game or they bought an extra ramp and put it in their game and when it comes time to sell sometimes the remove new ramps they have bought and put the old ones back in to sell the new ramps separately. Or if they have multiples they swap ramps with their "keeper" machine ect... Then when you come back and notice they say, "that's the way it was when you looked at it". And yes there is just as many shady people into pinball as good ones.

If this was the case then yeah I get that, but let's not vilify this random seller dude, I mean every seller was/is a buyer at some point. So It can't be us vs them.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Cybergoonie:

In order to avoid an awkward situation I just said... Gotta go get my money in my SUV and drove off.... He finally stopped calling after 2 days.

That is definitely not awkward.

#36 6 years ago

Man, all you people with your "WORD IS BOND" are nuts. You don't buy a pin until you inspect it, period. If it's not what it seemed, you haggle, or you walk. Seeing something at a previous buy is not inspecting it. A price discussed on the phone is just a starting point, nothing is set in stone until you pop the glass and the backbox and check things out.

I did a deal with a fellow Pinsider where I saw pictures, we agreed on a price, and he drove it all the way out to me. Turns out there were some issues I hadn't been able to see (not the seller's fault). I told him sorry, I can't pay what I offered, and made him a lower offer based on the changes. I would have felt bad if he drove off with it after that effort, but that didn't mean I was going to pay more than I felt it was worth. Luckily we agreed a price and it all worked out, we still talk, he's a good guy. But if he'd decided to drive off then so be it.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Venom_249:

If this was the case then yeah I get that, but let's not vilify this random seller dude, I mean every seller was/is a buyer at some point. So It can't be us vs them.

I was just speaking in generalities rather then to this specific seller. No malice intended.

#38 6 years ago

Okay just got back. Wow, this thread really took off during my drive home! I wasn't expecting this level of opinion. I guess that more or less verifies the ambiguity of the situation. Interesting how most opinions are strong in either direction, ranging from "I was completely justified" to "I am what's wrong with this hobby". Thanks, brent149!

A lot of people are wondering if the seller misrepresented the machine. Well honestly it's ambiguous. The original CL post was deleted, and I don't remember exactly what was said, but I do remember him saying it was nice. Here is a text he sent me "This taxi is a steal at $1600 that's why a reseller is willing to pay that price and pay to have it picked up brought to him. $1600 cash it yours otherwise it leaves for Calif Tuesday am."

I don't recall him saying anything explicitly about the ramps. My bad for not explicitly asking. However, seeing as he was the only owner you'd think he'd remember doing the repairs. It's one thing to not realize something is broken, it's another to know it's broken, fix it, then "forget" to mention it. Seems like a big deal to me.

A lot of people are wondering if I agreed to buy and back out. Here's what I said in reply to the above text "Would you be willing to hold until Wednesday? I can give you a deposit or something." His reply-- "Ok......No deposit necessary just don't leave me hanging on this." Kinda iffy. I may be in the wrong here. However, it's important to point out that he supposedly had a deal arranged that he himself backed out of....."

I'll also mention that the guy is a route op and is selling all his machines because they don't make money. He does not play pinball and could give a shit about the hobby.

After giving it some thought, I feel less bad about backing out. Yeah I feel a little like I reneged, but I also don't feel like the seller was particularly honest either. I think the final moral is-- better communication. Ask explicit questions about condition, and don't rely on interpreting the sellers subjective opinions.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

Refusing a deposit was the seller's attempt to establish goodwill, knowing the OP was coming to look to 'guilt' the buyer into keeping his word, even though the full inspection may be less than favorable for the buyer.

You may be right there. In retrospect it sounded like a clever line.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from brent149:

Moral of the story: always take a deposit.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is also true. I have been screwed as a seller as well. One guy was going to buy my STTNG off me, we agreed to a price and the night before he was to pick it up he called and said his wife wouldn't let him do it. But I seen in the mean time someone PM'd him in another pinball forum about buying his STTNG and all of a sudden the guy owned a STTNG, weird eh? I loaded it into my van and turned down other potential buyers as well in the mean time, so I was pissed, I should have and always will from this point on take a deposit.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Man, all you people with your "WORD IS BOND" are nuts. You don't buy a pin until you inspect it, period. If it's not what it seemed, you haggle, or you walk. Seeing something at a previous buy is not inspecting it. A price discussed on the phone is just a starting point, nothing is set in stone until you pop the glass and the backbox and check things out.
I did a deal with a fellow Pinsider where I saw pictures, we agreed on a price, and he drove it all the way out to me. Turns out there were some issues I hadn't been able to see (not the seller's fault). I told him sorry, I can't pay what I offered, and made him a lower offer based on the changes. I would have felt bad if he drove off with it after that effort, but that didn't mean I was going to pay more than I felt it was worth. Luckily we agreed a price and it all worked out, we still talk, he's a good guy. But if he'd decided to drive off then so be it.

The difference is you didn't guarantee that guy you'd buy it and tell him to call off another seller.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from brent149:

The difference is you didn't guarantee that guy you'd buy it and tell him to call off another seller.

I never guaranteed anything. He made a previous deal and then backed out of it on his own.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

I don't recall him saying anything explicitly about the ramps. My bad for not explicitly asking.

No, it was your bad for not knowing that most all Taxi ramps are trashed, as others have mentioned. If you would've gone over to RGP an did a search on what to look for on a Taxi, you would've asked for pictures or at least more details about the ramps before making an offer (or the long drive).

Quoted from Spraynard:

Yeah I feel a little like I reneged, but...

You did back out. No buts about it. Can't blame it on the seller.

Quoted from Spraynard:

I'll also mention that the guy is a route op and is selling all his machines because they don't make money. He does not play pinball and could give a shit about the hobby.

So it's okay for you to back out of the deal because he's a shitty op? I don't think so.

#44 6 years ago

When I was 18 drove up to an auction and walked up to some friends talking.i asked what is on the block? They said a pistol. Auctioneer was going wild 35 do l here 40 35 do I here 40 going 1 going once. Yeah I yelped. I was feeling all good about myself. Auctioneer said sold to the young man in the back for 240. 240 I said I thought it was it was 40 everyone had a good chuckle. They told me I didn't have to take it and I couldn't afford it at the time. That was 30 years ago. I still have the pistol. It's not the only time I F***ed up saying I'll take it or priced something to low. But I don't back out of a deal. I guess it's just what each person has to figure out for themselves. I'm not going to say you were wrong but if you have the feeling you are wrong you probably are.

#45 6 years ago

Just remember when making arrangements to be clear that you need to do a final inspection, in person, prior to the deal being closed. I have set up all my purchases this way. I have always found minor things that I was unaware of when setting up the purchase long distance. I have never thought those minor issues were a big enough deal to void the deal or demand a price reduction. But I am always clear with the seller that is a possibility. Good sellers will understand "We agree at price X, but I have to see it in person first".

Jerking a seller around about tiny imperfections is bad form and just poor behavior. Not advocating that at all. But significant undisclosed issues are a deal changer/breaker.

If he's an operator, he should have a handle on good/average/poor condition descriptions. I think you were right to walk away.

#46 6 years ago

If you saw the machine already (even if briefly) and he asked you over the phone if you going to leave him him hanging when he had a sale (even if untrue), you were totally the bad guy in this situation. I would have just told him go ahead and sell it in the first place to not be a dick to the guy buying out of state. That's just my opinion, though.

Edit: Posted after Mr. Ramsey comment... I don't believe his story about another buyer, either. Odds are he was trying to pressure you and didn't have a buyer. If he did, that was kinda uncool of him to back out on that guy. I think he probably got what he deserved.

In the end, i wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is also true. I have been screwed as a seller as well. One guy was going to buy my STTNG off me, we agreed to a price and the night before he was to pick it up he called and said his wife wouldn't let him do it. But I seen in the mean time someone PM'd him in another pinball forum about buying his STTNG and all of a sudden the guy owned a STTNG, weird eh? I loaded it into my van and turned down other potential buyers as well in the mean time, so I was pissed, I should have and always will from this point on take a deposit.

God, people who back out on a deal and blame their wives are the absolute worst. Not only are they likely lying, but they're making themselves look like wimps AND throwing their wives under the bus. It's the lamest cop-out excuse ever.

#48 6 years ago

You are such a dick for not getting the Taxi, how am I going to play Taxi at your house now if you don't have one....did you even consider my feelings of the rest of the local pinball community and our desire to play your semi-functioning Taxi that you probably would have over paid for....no you didn't that is the correct answer and now I am going to go to work. Good day sir.

#49 6 years ago

Interesting Read....

Now fellas... I am hearing some good points from both sides here but now we are beating up on the potential buyer (spraynard) questioning his integrity for backing out of a "Deal". Lest we forget the seller who allegedly had a "commitment" to a buyer in cali who apparently did the same thing.

For me I would always question the "I have another buyer" with ANY item, pinball or otherwise. If you have another buyer I walk away especially when they are saying they would sell it to me for the same price. Does not make sense to me. If I sell you something and my price is $1k thats my price to you unless we negotiate otherwise. Even if someone offered me more I will honor my price to you.

If this guy is a coin op vendor or whatever he knows his business. Why the heck would you break a "commitment" from a buyer over a phone call?? Come on... I would have done the same as davewth and just walked away. But I do have blame on the seller for allegedly screwing some other guy...

#50 6 years ago

You would have completed the transaction at $1,200, but on second thought and further inspection, determined your offer of $1,600 was too much

Your word is worth $400

interesting

do on to others...

Quoted from Spraynard:

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside