(Topic ID: 223419)

Walk me through moving a pinball machine.

By SantaEatsCheese

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Darcy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I'm planning on getting my first pinball machine in the next few weeks and wanted somebody to walk me through the ends and outs of moving a pinball machine.

If there is a good article on this I can't find it. The logical steps I'm thinking are:

Plan would be to meet the seller and try out their machine to verify everything works before I buy it. Do final negotiations and pay in cash to protect both parties. With seller, pick up and physically move pinball machine outside their house. Remove brackets from the backglass and fold top of pinball machine onto body, with moving blankets in-between. Remove back legs from pinball machine, physically picking up rear of pinball machine and sliding into back of minivan. Remove front legs of pinball machine. Secure machine with towels and or bungee cords as appropriate. Drive the minimum speed limit on the biggest and smoothest highway I can find back to my house. Attach straps to pinball machine to prevent pinball machine top from opening from bottom. Slide pinball machine out of car so it is standing on it's back. With a friend, slide pinball machine onto moving dolly and secure to moving dolly. Wheel pinball machine into my basement (hill, no stairs). Slowly tilt pinball machine onto it's bottom. Add rear legs. Prop up against stool while adding front legs. Re-attach back bracket to machine. Plug in machine and hope it works. Do whatever diagnosis I can of machine. Fix as appropriate and enjoy.

If I'm missing anything, you have any tips or can point me to any tips please let me know.

#2 5 years ago

what era of machine. different years are different in moving.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

what era of machine. different years are different in moving.

Beat me to it. Older machines will have different requirements, but it sounds like you have the basics down.

#4 5 years ago

btw, when you fold the head down. You need to tie it to the body. or when you stand it up on end, the head will crash to the ground. I use a ratchet strap. You dont' need it that tight. Just tight enough so it doesn't slide down the head. All it's doing is holding the head to the cabinet, so don't go nuts.

#5 5 years ago

A note, if you put the pinball machine into your car back end first, then when you try to take it out it'll be backwards. If your car is of the right height where you can do the "take two legs off, set on car, remove other two", then you want to put the front end in first. My car is shorter, so I tend to take the back legs off, stand it on its back, take the front legs off, and then tip it front first into the car.

Similarly when reassembling, and it's standing on its back, you put the legs on the front first, then pick up the back and install the back legs.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

what era of machine. different years are different in moving

System 11 or newer. Most likely something from 1990 to 1997. A DMD or System 11 machine.

#7 5 years ago

Always make sure the Seller is capable of helping if not I highly highly recommend having a strong friend present.

#8 5 years ago

Industrial plastic wrap + blankets. Wrap that sucker good. Remove the pinballs + translite during transport.

Use a piece of cardboard to slide it in + out of the vehicle you'll be transporting the pin in. Use straps to tie it down....even if it's a short drive. Accidents can happen and you don't want a 300+lbs machine crashing into you.

I just moved a pin yesterday and this is what I did. Good luck!

#9 5 years ago

Seems like you got it down other than take the balls out before you start to take it apart.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Seems like you got it down other than take the balls out before you start to take it apart.

New to owning pinball machines... is this something you normally do through the coin door or do you usually have to remove the glass?

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

New to owning pinball machines... is this something you normally do through the coin door or do you usually have to remove the glass?

Glass needs to be off.

-Remove glass, take out the pinballs and put the glass back.
    -Put blanket on top of glass, remove translite and then lay down the head onto the blanket.
    -Wrap it up with industrial plastic wrap. (over, under & sideways)
    -Get it into your vehicle and then cover with more blankets (and tarp if necessary).
    -Secure it with straps

#12 5 years ago

you remove the glass, open the door and use your finger to push on the solenoid and eject the balls.

you don't necessarily have to raise the playfield if you don't want to. (you can access through the coin door)

you take the balls out because you don't want them banging around during transport and breaking stuff.

#13 5 years ago

And because you need the glass off, a good thing to find out in advance is whether the seller has the keys to the coin door (and backbox). Otherwise, you may need to drill the lock out.

#14 5 years ago

never ever set glass down on cement. The temp change mostly likely will have it burst into diamonds. Always find a piece of cardboard or rug to set it down on edge, or have someone hold it on their foot while you take the balls out and clean out everything inside the cabinet that is just sitting there.

#15 5 years ago

Use pool cues or something similar inside the car to roll the game on when you are loading in and out of the car. I damaged the bottom of the front of a cabinet loading it without using something like a pool cue. Without this tip you are pushing the cabinet with all of the weight dragging on the bed of your carpet. It’ll make loading easier and less likely to damage the cabinet

#16 5 years ago

In addition to what has been said already, one thing I always do is secure the light board in the head that swings out to access circuit boards. Once I remove the head bolts, I close door and put a screw on the metal latch that you raise to open the door. This prevents the door from swinging open in transit and scratching the translite or worse the silkscreened backglass. Also remember to lock the back glass in place if the lockset is there, or tape it and the speaker grill securely so the backglass/speaker does not fall out when you raise the head again. Applies to Solid State games, not so much EM's.

#17 5 years ago

Walk me through moving a pinball machine.

Moving a pinball machine? Whenever the ball looks like its going to exit down the left or right outlane or go straight down the middle (SDTM) lean your hips forward and nudge the machine just enough to have the ball bounce off something and stay in play (but do not nudge too hard or you'll tilt the game). Not what you meant?

#18 5 years ago

Gravity can be a 'Bitch'.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walk-me-through-moving-a-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.