Topic Stats

• 878 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 41 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Legendairy Cow2.jpg
image.jpg
index-716.jpeg
Nothing Happened-323.jpg
index-266.jpeg
index.jpeg
images-26.jpg
Steve tells about ST and DPO.png
image-52.jpg
coindoorleds 021.JPG
coindoorleds 020.JPG
coindoorleds 015.JPG
coindoorleds 002.JPG
image-451.jpg
image.jpg
new translite.png

This topic is closed.

There are 878 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 18.
#551 5 years ago

From FB: "Admiral Stevens lays down some new speech!"

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/photos/a.10151651185924244.1073741825.136972659243/10152614065744244/?type=1&theater

I know some people are disappointed that the code will not be released this week, but I'm encouraged. This is probably for new callouts, probably for new rules. This adds credence to the idea that this is not just the current software with Karl Urban voice added. There will almost certainly be some amount of new rules or revision to existing rules on top of any new dots and sounds.

#552 5 years ago

Oh this update is a lot more that just old rules with Karl Urban added.

#553 5 years ago

I move into my new place next week so i can finally take my ST out of its box and install the stupid amount mods I picked up while we wait for this update. If its worth doing its worth over doing.

#554 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Oh this update is a lot more that just old rules with Karl Urban added.

Holy cow, I would sure hope so. No way it would take this long if they were just adding new Urban speech.

#555 5 years ago

Good things come to those who wait.

#556 5 years ago

Maybe I'm just in a good mood since it's Friday but I'm perfectly fine with Stern taking all the time they need to get it right. Just post an update every couple of weeks if it's not ready to at least let me know it's being worked on and I'm happy. It's been a while but at this point I'd rather wait longer and it be killer than to get it rushed out and be buggy.

Rushed is probably a bad word to use since it's been 8 months but I think you get what I'm trying to say at least.

#557 5 years ago

I'm pretty sure the new code adds a cloaking device, so you can hide it from your wife!

#558 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I'm pretty sure the new code adds a cloaking device, so you can hide it from your wife!

Damn why couldn't this be out already then. Would be so much easier if i could cloak mine as soon as i get it today.

#559 5 years ago

Aren't cloaking devices banned by the federation? Are you saying the Klingons or Romulans are the ones writing the code? If so I'm selling my pin, Murica pins/code for me!(except for when my TBL shows up)

#560 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

... Just post an update every couple of weeks if it's not ready to at least let me know it's being worked on and I'm happy. ...

To change behavior, it is not enough to punish bad behavior (complain about lack of updates). One must also encourage good behavior (positive feedback when updates are provided). Anyone who likes the last few updates regarding the code, should go upvote it on their Facebook page and leave a positive comment!

#561 5 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Aren't cloaking devices banned by the federation? Are you saying the Klingons or Romulans are the ones writing the code? If so I'm selling my pin, Murica pins/code for me!(except for when my TBL shows up)

Who knows if they will be banned in the new timeline or not?

#562 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Maybe I'm just in a good mood since it's Friday but I'm perfectly fine with Stern taking all the time they need to get it right.

See how you feel on Monday and let us know.

#563 5 years ago

What a difference communications makes...a few facebook posts from Stern let us know the code is coming, is important to them, and gives us a teaser of things to come. I for one feel much better about waiting a little bit longer by just having that info. I know it has been a long time, but I feel much better knowing Stern actually cares. And I am very excited for it when it does!

#564 5 years ago
Quoted from tl54hill:

What a difference communications makes...a few facebook posts from Stern let us know the code is coming, is important to them, and gives us a teaser of things to come. I for one feel much better about waiting a little bit longer by just having that info. I know it has been a long time, but I feel much better knowing Stern actually cares. And I am very excited for it when it does!

YEAH BABY!!!!

#565 5 years ago
Quoted from tl54hill:

This sentiment is great now and I fully agree WHEN then are giving communication on updates and code that is coming it is phenomenal and I hope they get better at doing it. But at the same time I have sat through this ridiculous wait on X-men, then Metallica and now the Star Trek wait, they need to up the cycle on getting these things done and do the communication along the way there. The happy feeling as it gets closer and we all know it is coming is great but doesn't excuse the 6-12 months of waiting and next to no communication prior to it

#566 5 years ago

Now I'm starting to get excited for pinball again now that football season is here! My ST has been a little neglected waiting on the code! Not too much longer now hopefully!

#567 5 years ago

I apologize if people have already speculated about this, but I don't recall seeing it. I keep noticing that the plastic on the weapons targets says "increase power and weapons." Unless I am missing something, all they do is add photon torpedoes. Could the new code add some sort of "power" feature?

#568 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I apologize if people have already speculated about this, but I don't recall seeing it. I keep noticing that the plastic on the weapons targets says "increase power and weapons." Unless I am missing something, all they do is add photon torpedoes. Could the new code add some sort of "power" feature?

Steve Ritchie won't let his titles stay uninspiring.

Lots of polish on rules needed.

#569 5 years ago

I think the title is inspiring enough. I just want some power!!!

#570 5 years ago

Just knowing the code is coming is enough for me.

Imagine if it wasn't? This has happened many times!

Diving off into another topic, Steve Ritchie. I always respected him as a pin designer but have always been more of a Lawlor fan. As I have experienced more of his richer offerings, I have come to find I like his pins a lot more than I once thought.
I do not like the complex mechanical nature of STTNG but I think the game is such an overall masterpiece, that it has changed my opinion on him greatly. I always have considered SM to be a top 5 pin of all time, so polished. An AC/DC speaks for itself. Man, what an epic list!

Out of these Ritchie games, what are your top 3 overall? Really tough to decide!! Mine would be SM, STTNG and AC/DC

His list:
AC/DC
Stern ST
Airborne Avenger
World Poker Tour
Superman
Black Knight
SM
Elvis
STTNG
NO Fear
Flash
F14
High Speed
Black Knight 2000
Rollergames
Stellar Wars
Getaway High Speed 2
Terminator 2
Terminator 3

#571 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

In this video, Steve talks about photon torpedoes and phasers and power! Skip to the 1:50 mark.

Maybe in the final code?

#572 5 years ago

In this video, Steve talks about photon torpedoes and phasers and power! Skip to the 1:50 mark.
» YouTube video
Maybe in the final code?

Thanks. I missed that. Of course he talks about the color changing LEDs which the Pro doesn't have. So, I hope that he makes some use of "power" in the Pro, even if it is not as colorful.

#573 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks. I missed that. Of course he talks about the color changing LEDs which the Pro doesn't have. So, I hope that he makes some use of "power" in the Pro, even if it is not as colorful.

What differs from the premium vs the pro as far as color changing? I've played both, and both seem the same to me, my pro leds change colors for different modes/shots

#574 5 years ago

I believe on the Premium the photon lights also change color whereas on the Pro they are just yellow.

#575 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

What differs from the premium vs the pro as far as color changing? I've played both, and both seem the same to me, my pro leds change colors for different modes/shots

Only the Starfleet insignas change color on the Pro. I think there are only 6 or 7 of them?

There are over 60 color changing LED's in the Premium/LE. Basically all of the lights under the playfield.

Look at the 6 missions above the flippers. On the Pro, they are they standard colored plastic, with white LED's shining up through them.

On the Premium/LE, the inserts are clear plastic, and the color changing LED's become yellow, blue, red, etc...to mimic what they look like on the Pro, BUT, they can morph into different colors when needed to make unique patterns.

#576 5 years ago

On the Premium ALL inserts are color changing.

#577 5 years ago

Any more news/rumors? seems like Stern has been pumping the update pretty frequently the last couple weeks.

#578 5 years ago

The wife and I had a few drinks and played some Star Trek (and AC/DC) last night. We had FUN!! Even with the existing code, I'm still really enjoying the game. I do get excited thinking of how much it could improve with new code. I suspect it will feel like playing a new game with so many new call-outs, rule changes, new animations and lighting. ...trying to keep my expectations down is getting difficult at this point.

#579 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

...trying to keep my expectations down is getting difficult at this point.

My expectations have been getting higher with all the teasers Stern is posting. I don't think they would be doing that if the update wasn't going to be great.

#580 5 years ago

Biggest. Stern. Update. Ever.

#581 5 years ago

Biggest. Stern. Update. Ever.

So you're keeping a level head, huh?

#582 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

So you're keeping a level head, huh?

When has Kirk ever been otherwise?

#583 5 years ago

Honestly, I really have reason to believe it will be the largest change/update ever from Stern. Mainly because they are adding custom voice work late in the development cycle, combined with the rule changes, and finishing polish.

#584 5 years ago

Honestly, I really have reason to believe it will be the largest change/update ever from Stern. Mainly because they are adding custom voice work late in the development cycle, combined with the rule changes, and finishing polish.

Don't you think they will be somewhat limited in changes compared to the MET update?
It seems like not many inserts could change function or do something diffrent than what they already do.

#585 5 years ago
Quoted from JC_Pins:

Don't you think they will be somewhat limited in changes compared to the MET update?
It seems like not many inserts could change function or do something diffrent than what they already do.

That's the thing, they could if they wanted them too, because all versions of the machine have the main inserts color changing capable. I sure wish they were doing more interesting things with that than just "oh look, you're in green mode, now you're in red mode". It's cool, but doesn't actually change the gameplay any. Colors could mean a lot more.

Just for example, you could start a mode where all the inserts were off, and you have to flip them all blue. But if you hit a blue one it goes to orange. Then you have to hit it to change it back to blue, and you beat it when you get them all blue. So accuracy and strategy come into play, have to shoot in the right order. Add another level by making a combo shot "safe" from changing an insert to orange. So accurate and fast shooting would make it easier.

Guess we'll see!

#586 5 years ago

» YouTube video
Maybe in the final code?

Is it me or does the powdercoat look different than other LEs? Mine seems to be a lighter shade of blue.

#587 5 years ago
Quoted from JC_Pins:

Thanks for brightening our thread!

debbie-downer.jpg
#588 5 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Thanks for brightening our thread!

Good to know you own the thread, should people PM you for permission to post?

Anyway, ST is great as-is, I'm sure SR and crew will make it better, however I think ST code was actually close to the original vision planned and the changes are actually more of a second effort to improve the game. Just my conjecture based on the hardware available and existing code, could be completely wrong.

For MET is was clear the game was not finished and the update was simply a follow though of the original design of the machine.

#589 5 years ago

To hell with it. I'm with Kirky on this one. Biggest ever. Bring it!! LIONMAN!!

#590 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

To hell with it. I'm with Kirky on this one. Biggest ever. Bring it!! LIONMAN!!

Yes!!!

#591 5 years ago
Quoted from JC_Pins:

Limited? No way. Browse back through the suggestions in this forum to see how just how many ideas there are about making this game better.

Then there's the callout from Urban, making the shields work on the Pro's, tons of lighting improvements, from asteroids to backpack to blackout modes during the laser show.

Lots to change!!

#592 5 years ago

Although, I'll admit, it will be hard to quantify biggest change ever. You could look at the number of lines in the change file.....but that is VERY subjective. For instance, Metallica 1.5 listed every Mystery award in its own line! Likewise, Start Trek could list something as significant and expansive like Urban's speech in one line only.

It's going to be a gut thing.

#593 5 years ago
Quoted from JC_Pins:

maybe i'm in the minority, but I was sort of disappointed in the code update with Metallica, and felt it was only more polish from rules before. I just wasn't wowed over, I though it was better, but more or less the same.

When WOZ codes dropped, they wowed me. It totally changed the whole game. I wouldn't be surprised if ST drops a wow code.

#595 5 years ago

Any news on if the Star Trek at PAPA was running new code?
Havent heard, so Im guessing it wasnt.

So excited about this update. Feel like at kid waiting for Christmas!

#596 5 years ago

My left flipper is buzzing loudly. My first thought was, of course my pin is going to break down right before the code drops.

Dug around on here a little, and it seems like it's a common occurrence with Sterns. Flipper strength is still normal, so I guess I'm just going to crank the music.

Come on code!

#597 5 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

My left flipper is buzzing loudly. My first thought was, of course my pin is going to break down right before the code drops.
Dug around on here a little, and it seems like it's a common occurrence with Sterns. Flipper strength is still normal, so I guess I'm just going to crank the music.
Come on code!

This usually happens when a coil stop is worn. In most cases rebuilding the flipper by replacing the coil stop and link will solve the issue. $ 10.00 fix, but you should also do the other flippers. I've gotten lazy and sometimes just replace the coil stop as I know its a band aid until I have to rebuild all flippers after a couple hundred or so more plays.

#598 5 years ago

Yeah I have same noise problem on mine and I have learned to ignore it.

#599 5 years ago

Yes, I have noise on the right flipper(s). First I thought it was due to the fact that right=x2 but its probably not. I found 1 coil stop being loose, replaced it but still a LOT of noise from the right where the left is flipper is really quiet. LTG recommended to file the coils stop and plunger or so...dunno bout that..anyone has done anything to their stern flipper to reduce the noise with success?

#600 5 years ago

I too have learned to ignore my right flipper buzzing. It can get really loud at times. I doubt it needs rebuilt since it's been that way since about a month after nib. Id love to see a picture tutorial on the fix if anyone has one

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 878 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 18.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside