Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PartyPinball_SS (resized).png
    1563931324720412039766 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Hi all,

I'm having a birthday party with pinball owners and non-players. I want to do a pinball tournament, but would like it to be wacky enough where it levels the playing field between pinball enthusiasts and the pinball virgins. Here's an example from a prior birthday of mine:

http://elephanteater.com/12670/birthday-party

So...let's hear 'em! All ideas! The wackier, the better.

Thanks in advance,
    Ryan

#2 4 years ago
    1563931324720412039766 (resized).jpg1563931324720412039766 (resized).jpg
    #3 4 years ago

Uff...goddamn swinger levels the playing field immediately!

#4 4 years ago

Were adult beverages involved?

#5 4 years ago

I like co-operative Pin-golf. The experienced player can coach and encourage the less-experienced player. perhaps even set them up to steal a mulit-ball or 2 depending on the game.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from chas10e:

I like co-operative Pin-golf. The experienced player can coach and encourage the less-experienced player. perhaps even set them up to steal a mulit-ball or 2 depending on the game.

I'm not a big tournament guy, can you explain how this works?

#7 4 years ago

Not saying you have to go to the extreme Jay does, but pinball olympics

https://vimeo.com/122439787

There's less tame things you can do (that also take less time) like using black balls instead of chrome ones.. the christmas tree light glasses that make all bright lights look like snowflakes. Cover portions of the playfield glass with tape.

#8 4 years ago

I created a Pinball Game (a Web Application, not a machine) for this same purpose. It's called "Party Pinball" and is in the test phase currently, but works great. Game Rules can be found here: https://pinballzoo.com/Games/GameTips?id=967

You will need to register on the site to be able to see/play Party Pinball.

The Party Pinball App tracks your pinball scores and points, while adding a few new rules....
    - The Timer - limited ball times
    - Party Rules - custom rules per game
    - Coins - buy time, and collect to win!

3 Coin Types
    - Blue - used to buy time, each player starts with 5 Blue Coins
    - Gold - earn 1 Gold Coin per victory - collect to Win!
    - Purple - collect for prizes (optional)

For first-time users, it works best to have 1 person be the "Ref" who will interact with the App (not a player).
    After people are comfortable with the app, you can have players Ref for each other.

PartyPinball_SS (resized).pngPartyPinball_SS (resized).png
    #10 4 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Level all the playing fields.

Perfect. But oh the ball times!

#11 4 years ago

Split flipper (Zen) tournament. Pair a player with a non-player as a team. One player operates the left flipper and the other the right. Maybe have them swap sides for each ball or on different games or just let them decide what they want to do. Lots of fun and the experienced player will have to tell the inexperienced player what to shoot for.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I'm not a big tournament guy, can you explain how this works?

So Pin-Golf is: a target score is set per machine. If the target score is reached on the first ball. it's a "hole in one" and marked on the score card. 2'nd ball marked a 2; 3'rd ball a 3, if the target score hadn't been reached marked a "4" for a 3 ball game (or a "6" for a 5 ball game)

Extra balls can be played and considered the same stroke.

When you reach the target you stop playing til your teammate reaches the score & move on to the next "hole"

Many times every one tries on their own to get the lowest golf score for the course. (ideally 9 or 18 machines or "holes".) in cooperative play both players add their final scores together and compare against the other teams.

There are official "Pin-master" scoring where it's possible to have up to 10 strokes on a hole then finishing in a bracket style competition where you're still playing pin-golf https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournament_pages/pinmasters/rules/

Quoted from schudel5:

Split flipper (Zen) tournament. Pair a player with a non-player as a team. One player operates the left flipper and the other the right. Maybe have them swap sides for each ball or on different games or just let them decide what they want to do. Lots of fun and the experienced player will have to tell the inexperienced player what to shoot for.

This is great too! another way to do this is on a 4 player machine, coin-up 3 players: player 1 plays alone, player 2 plays alone, and the 3'rd player coined up is split flipper.

I don't know exactly where they come up with the target scores. it's usually less than what a recommended replay score is on the replay card by more than half.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

This right here ☝
    Had a party for my non pinhead friends a while back, and split flipper was epic fun for everyone.
    Disclaimer: a lot of adult beverages were also consumed, that may or may not have contributed to the fun factor

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from chas10e:

So Pin-Golf is: a target score is set per machine....

I will add to make it even more level, remove scores from the equation.
    Hole 1 - start bigfoot hotfoot
    Hole 2 - Start MB in TAF
    Hole 3 - etc

Ah just looked at your line up...may be hard to do with EMs

AS mentioned above split flipper is fun

#15 4 years ago

Best score playing one handed or wearing boxing gloves.
    Prize to the person with the highest “Swing Reel” count on Swinger.

#16 4 years ago

Another one is "Stall-Ball" : all participants play on ONE machine, points don't matter. best to coin-up maximum players for the machine (typically 4 players). all players line up and the object is the player to get the ball to a place where it "stalls", in a lock, a shooter-lane gate, perhaps a gobble hole? a mode select ect. then then next player is up.

If successful go to the end of the line to keep playing. if you drain or tilt your out of the match. last player playing is the "winner"

generally if in multiball is to let all but the last ball drain and stall the remaining ball. on modern machines it's allowed to purposely give the machine a "double danger" before the next player(s) are up.

So the idea it to stall the ball & RUN !!! (ball savers on do help on modern machines )

#17 4 years ago

Stall ball is awesome! Might wanna turn ball savers off for modern games, or just tell everyone any drain is a drain, since you're dealing with novices who may not understand the nuance of a ball save vs. a "real" drain.

#18 4 years ago

Everyone has to take a hit of lsd.....

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

since you're dealing with novices who may not understand the nuance of a ball save vs. a "real" drain.

Or experienced players that where also confused and had to make up rules as they go

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wacky-tournament-ideas-to-level-the-playing-field?hl=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.