(Topic ID: 79355)

Wackiest "custom" paintjob and mod I had to undo.

By jrpinball

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by bintzknocker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

owdmcl3ct3forwudv3le.jpg
bring-out-your-dead.jpg
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG
Jigsaw 001.JPG
IMG_0170a.JPG
IMG_0168a.JPG
Games_64.JPG
Games_63.JPG
Games_66.JPG

#1 5 years ago

I found some photos of a Williams "Jig-Saw" woodrail that I repainted years ago. What I started with is without a doubt the craziest, wackiest modification and artwork I've ever seen on a pinball machine.

Machine as found:Games_66.JPGGames_63.JPGGames_64.JPG
No legs, but check out those huge wagon wheels! The game was actually found by a friend of mine. I worked a deal with him and ended up getting this cabinet! He had removed the wagon wheels before I got it.
It had a "bonnet" thingy on top of it. The artwork was very nicely handpainted, and I was a little reluctant to remove it.
Cabinet before stripping.Jigsaw 001.JPG Really very ornate, but why would anyone do this to a pinball machine?IMG_0168a.JPGIMG_0170a.JPG
Cabinet head in process:IMG_0206.JPGIMG_0208.JPG
Finished game: IMG_0001.JPG
This was a tough cabinet to paint because of the parallel curving lines, but it turned out pretty good.
I had to make a back door for it too which wasn't too difficult since the original is just plywood.
I brought this game to the York show several years ago. Thought you'd get a chuckle out of this.

#2 5 years ago

how the hell do you level it out? Matchbooks under the wheels?

#4 5 years ago

Amazing restoration! Looks nice!

#5 5 years ago

That is wacky for sure. If you put wheels on some thing, those wheels should operate. It looks like the wheels were just screwed into the cabinet. That restoration, turned out great.

#6 5 years ago

i have seen a lot of crazy repaints over the years but that one take the cake! they really went all in on that one.

#7 5 years ago

clearly Grandma did not get run over by a reindeer before she got ahold of that wagon...

#8 5 years ago

That was a funny one, looks great now (makes me want to set up my fixer-upper Moulin Rouge and get it running).

The weirdest one I ever had come to the shop was one that had a pull chain system attached to the credit unit to make a free play out of it. It had what looked to be two screen door wheels on the top of the head and a hole for the chain to go through. Then it wrapped around another wheel at the bottom of the cabinet and up, to connect to the credit wheel. It was wrapped half around the wheel and riveted to it just above the "0". As it ran out of credits, it would wind up the wheel and slowly raise up the tasseled end until there were no more credits. Then you had to pull the chain (like a pull chain toilet) and it would put up a bunch of credits again. It was clever, funny and sad, all at the same time. I meant to take pictures of it but it wasn't convenient using a regular camera (this was before digital cameras or phones).

Steve

#9 5 years ago

That thing was amazeballs. You did a great job on the restore, but I don't know if I could have done it. What a conversation piece that would have been to bring to shows!

#10 5 years ago

Hilarious and hideous at the same time. Great job on the restore!

#11 5 years ago

That has to be the strangest pinball modification I have seen.

Great restoration!

Your a better man than I Gunga Din as I would have never bought that pin to begin with.

Ken

#12 5 years ago

aww, i really liked it the way it was. definitely one of a kind. that cab paint was very well done! (not that your work isn't great too)

#13 5 years ago

very nicely done! beautiful paint job!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

If you put wheels on some thing, those wheels should operate. It looks like the wheels were just screwed into the cabinet.

Yup, you got it. The wheels were bolted into the side of the cabinet and did not actually turn. By the time I got the cabinet only, the wheels and bonnet were removed. I actually traded another "Jig-Saw" cabinet I had that had wood damage to the lower front of the cabinet for this cabinet plus a couple of hundred bucks. The playfield that was originally in this game was a lot nicer than the one I put in it.
Thanks for all the praise on the restoration. Looking at it now though, it did look pretty cool and unique the way it was!

#15 5 years ago

From the looks of what they did to it,surprised it didnt make popcorn.

Nice job bringing her back from the deco gone wild motif.

#16 5 years ago

Regarding the original condition of your game - people do what they know how to do.

Luckily for this game you came along and gave it your special attention. Well done.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#17 5 years ago

I think I would have laughed out loud if I had seen this game myself. After my friend bought it, he sent the photos I posted of the original game. Then we made a deal, and I got the cabinet. I think he still has the wagon wheels, but I don't know about the bonnet. I'd like to find a better playfield for the game. The one in there is pretty bad. I don't know if my friend ever put the original playfield in the cabinet I traded to him. He's kind of out of the hobby and I don't see too much of him anymore.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

aww, i really liked it the way it was. definitely one of a kind. that cab paint was very well done! (not that your work isn't great too)

Yes, it actually had a certain charm to it, and it was very artistically done. If I was in the business of selling fruit, I probably would have removed the playfield used it as a cart for my wares!

#19 5 years ago

could use it to carry the dead...

Bring out your dead !!

bring-out-your-dead.jpg

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

Bring out your dead !!

bring-out-your-dead.jpg 17 KB

I'm happy!

#21 5 years ago

I just looked at these photos again. I missed the pompoms the first time around because I was so distracted by the wheels. You find something new to appreciate each time. What a find...

#22 5 years ago

i'm not dead yet !!

#23 5 years ago

^^^beat me too it.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

Or possibly a pinball baby carriage was what was in mind.

#25 5 years ago

That artwork design on the backbox reminds me of the "Cindy" inlay on Taylor guitars:

owdmcl3ct3forwudv3le.jpg
#26 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I found some photos of a Williams "Jig-Saw" woodrail that I repainted years ago. What I started with is without a doubt the craziest, wackiest modification and artwork I've ever seen on a pinball machine.

I've got to admit, I would have left it all crazy and taken it to the shows.

#27 5 years ago

That would have surely drawn some odd stares!

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

That artwork design on the backbox reminds me of the "Cindy" inlay on Taylor guitars:

Absolutely! Very similar!

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If the wheels didn't turn, it would be a PIA to move around tho. That's the reason I was going to buy that BSD in the coffin. just to take to shows. I don't care for BSD, but that one was cool.

#30 5 years ago

I'm speechless.

And that's saying something if you knew me.

I am big on letting cabinets alone so they could show their scars and the lives they have led.

But this was a horse (or should I say wagon) of a different color.

Beautiful job.

#31 5 years ago

So. What you're saying is....I CAN put these drag slicks on my I500 and wheel it around town ? Man..... Talk about bringing the party with you....

#32 5 years ago

That. Was. Bizarre.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The horror!!

Mike O.

#34 5 years ago

Holy crap.

The restoration to put that abomination right earns points into pinball heaven.

#35 5 years ago

As weird as it is I respect their artistic skill, and it is creative. With that said you have to wonder how and why the inspiration struck them to do such a thing. Is it weird that I like it better than the Boston Red Sox P&B conversion? It's cool your buddy took some pics to document it. Beautiful job bringing it back.

#36 5 years ago

I'm getting better. I think I'll go for a walk

#37 5 years ago

It's pretty obvious what happened here..

Grandpa: I want to put a pinball machine in here
Grandma: It's hideous! Don't you bring that thing in here!
Grandpa: But.. well.. what if I made it blend in.. made it look like.. i dunno.. a baby stroller?
Grandma: <dubious> .. well, ok.

Compromise: sometimes it doesn't pay.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

brettbutler said:
i'm not dead yet !!

I'm getting better. I think I'll go for a walk

I feel...happy!

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

That was a funny one, looks great now (makes me want to set up my fixer-upper Moulin Rouge and get it running).

I have a fixer upper "Moulin Rouge" here as well. I pulled it out a garage on the NJ shore. It had survived Hurricane Sandy. The previous owner said the water rose very high but stopped short of the bottom of the cabinet.
It doesn't show any obvious ill effects, and it should clean up pretty decent. The cabinet paint is pretty faded though. That's a really good game and deserves to be resurrected whenever possible. I hope someone grabbed that one that was listed on eBay in Atlanta a few weeks ago. It was pretty rough, but doable. Not terrible rare, but you don't see them around very often. I did one years ago and sold it. I'll post photos when I can.

Your "pull chain for credit" mod sounds hilarious! It's amazing what lengths people go to instead of finding the easy solution. He could have just twisted a couple of wires together on the zero position switch and had the same effect.
He could have reserved his inventive genius (ala Rube Goldberg) for something else.

#40 5 years ago

Shhhhhesh what were they thinking.

#41 5 years ago

Doing something like THAT to a pinball machine should be illegal!

#42 5 years ago

If the wheels worked you wouldnt need to use your modified Harbor Freight table to move it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Various Other Swag
Shoot Again Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 42.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 38.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 126.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside