PXL_20210303_225116540.NIGHT (resized).jpg
PXL_20210303_225030434 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210303_225053797 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210303_225039583 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Vulcan coin door 2 (resized).png
Vulcan coin door (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Just picked up my first EM. Have been reading about the subject online and trying to get the score motor to stop running. Have tried cleaning all the contacts on the stepper units, moved the score off of 0 to see if the reels reset (they were originally all on 0 and score motor was running), checked for broken/ loose wires and still not able to get the game to reset.

Can one of you tell me what the switch on the inside of the door is called, what the purpose is and whether it is open or closed?

Vulcan coin door (resized).jpgVulcan coin door (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

I have highlighted the switch in question for clarity

Vulcan coin door 2 (resized).pngVulcan coin door 2 (resized).png
#3 3 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

I have highlighted the switch in question for clarity
[quoted image]

That's the slam tilt switch; that's not your problem, if it was tripped you'd be in GAME OVER mode. Do you have a schematic... most likely you've got a runout/0 position switch on one or more of your score reels in the incorrect position or dirty. Also look for disconnected wires on each of the score reels... chances are you've got at least one that needs re-soldering. If that turns out NOT to be the issue you'd have to review the schematic to see what other relays/units could be at fault.

#4 3 years ago

trying to get the score motor to stop running.

One or more of these switches or relays is keeping the score motor running. Which one(s)?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5 3 years ago

most likely a score reel switch is not closing to signify reset complete. use an alligator jumper and cir diagram to simulate reels reset. Z1 and Z2 should be non energized

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

most likely you've got a runout/0 position switch on one or more of your score reels in the incorrect position or dirty.

Most likely. Check here for more info: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels

#7 3 years ago

Thanks to all who posted.

HowardR- I am not able to decipher that schematic yet. That is something I am trying to learn now. Thanks for posting.

I checked all of the wires and switches on the score reel and everything looks okay to me. The door switches look good as well. Yet the score will not reset and the score motor keeps running. The score motor brake is adjusted properly and I have cleaned the contacts on all stepper units.

No broken or damaged wires that I can see.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the credit wheel even thought I have set the credits to greater than 1 and the game still wont start.

Will post more as I learn more.

#8 3 years ago

I am not able to decipher that schematic yet.

• The short parallel lines on the schematic represent switches in the machine, mostly on relays.
  • The letters by the switches tell which relay each switch is on and refer to the section of the schematic labelled "Relays" at 12A. Your relays in the machine may also be labelled.
  • 12A is like a map legend. "12" refers to the numbers on the left and right edge of the schematic. "A" refers to the letters on the top and bottom edge of the schematic.
#9 3 years ago

I am not able to decipher that schematic yet. That is something I am trying to learn now.

A good primer: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#schematic

#10 3 years ago

When you moved the score reel off 0 did it reset to 0?

#11 3 years ago

Removing the score off of 0 did nothing to stop the score motor and the scores did not reset. Everything in the score reels looks good and I believe is correctly adjusted. The issue is likely in the AX Relay. I was able to adjust it enough to get the score motor to stop spinning. However, I had several credits on the machine and the credit wheel went to 0. The ball did not enter the shooter lane.

I added more credits and tried again and the score motor kept spinning. I believe the adjustments are all out of whack on this relay as it looks like a previou owner messed with it. Anyone have a photo of what the relay should look when properly adjusted? Where the blades sit in the holder? Or lastly, where I can get a replacement?

TIA

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

When you moved the score reel off 0 did it reset to 0?

No, score motor kept running.

#13 3 years ago

I'll try to get some pics of my AX relay tonight. Here are a few pics of the BX relay as they can be out of wack also..

PXL_20210303_225030434 (resized).jpgPXL_20210303_225030434 (resized).jpgPXL_20210303_225039583 (resized).jpgPXL_20210303_225039583 (resized).jpgPXL_20210303_225053797 (resized).jpgPXL_20210303_225053797 (resized).jpgPXL_20210303_225116540.NIGHT (resized).jpgPXL_20210303_225116540.NIGHT (resized).jpgPXL_20210303_225125978 (resized).jpgPXL_20210303_225125978 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vulcan-by-gotlieb-first-em-need-help?hl=flippinjimmy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.