Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I have a VUK opto that isn't working right. It always shows the beam as being blocked, even when it isn't. I tested the receiver opto with a flashlight and it seems to be working fine. I would assume that this means the emitter is bad, but I can see that it's on when I look at it. Two questions:

1) Does it matter if you can see a bright red light coming out of the emitter LED? Should it be only visible with a digital camera?
2) If you can see a bright red light, does that mean that the reciever should be picking up the signal?

#2 4 years ago

What game please ?

Stern and Williams are different.

LTG : )™

#3 4 years ago

It's a Sega Batman Forever.

#4 4 years ago

Should be glowing red both sides. Same part used both sides.

#5 4 years ago

Do you have an idea what I should try next? The "dark" receiver seems to work fine when I shine a light on it, but nada when the red LED from the emitter board shines on it. Seems like it should work...

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

The "dark" receiver seems

I'd replace it.

#7 4 years ago

I'll give it a try. On a side note, what exactly does the VUK opto do, look for jams? It saw that it was unplugged today and it must have been that way since I got the machine. It seems to be functioning okay without it.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

what exactly does the VUK opto do

A ball goes into the VUK. The pinball machine goes "oh look, a ball went into the VUK". Then the machine being wiser now kicks the ball out of the VUK.

#9 4 years ago

Yes, I get that. What I don't understand is why it kicks balls out despite the opto receiver being unplugged.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

What I don't understand is why it kicks balls out despite the opto receiver being unplugged

It thinks a ball is there and kicks.

No ball the opto switch is closed. Ball there blocking the opto the opto switch opens. No power - game thinks the switch is open.

#11 4 years ago

When it's unplugged it doesn't kick until there is a ball in there. I assume it's because it knows it just released a ball into the VUK, not because the opto is telling it there is a ball in there. When I plug it in, I guess it starts receiving a signal and thinks the switch is open and starts kicking.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

When it's unplugged it doesn't kick until there is a ball in there.

What does it do in test ?

If the opto isn't working, the game doesn't know a ball is in there. After a bit it may go into ball search and kick that and other things.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Boards
PinSound

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside