You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

05F395E0-DB47-4BA5-AD36-AB6F68D464E0 (resized).jpeg
07557380-3537-4BF6-89AA-81B3C3F37AC6 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

Hi, all! I’m new to this, so thanks!

We just got a SST, and from the beginning the #4 super VUK only fires sometimes. Generally if it’s been off for an extended period of time it’ll fire during game play or in test mode, but after the machine has been on, it won’t consistently fire. It has continuity even when it’s not triggering, but I can’t understand why it fires sometimes and not others.

It does occasionally trigger an error on the display, for what that’s worth. I’ve poked around and reconnected everything to it, but am I correct in assuming that it’s probably the VUK assembly itself? Are these capable of overheating? Everything else works, including the switch near it.

07557380-3537-4BF6-89AA-81B3C3F37AC6 (resized).jpeg07557380-3537-4BF6-89AA-81B3C3F37AC6 (resized).jpeg

05F395E0-DB47-4BA5-AD36-AB6F68D464E0 (resized).jpeg05F395E0-DB47-4BA5-AD36-AB6F68D464E0 (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

Did you check the PPB for bad solder joints?
Replace the switch at the VUK.
A bad switch can do funny things at the VUK.
The VUK registration goes in delay to let the ball settle.
Unlike other switches it does not register directly, but takes some time.
You can test this with let's say an outlane switch.
If you close it multiple times fast, you will see a timing difference between the VUK and the outlane.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks, Ink! The control board is new from Stern, but it was showing this same error even before it went in, so I’m guessing it’s not the board, if I understand correctly what that is. The switch which sees if there’s a ball ready to be kicked up is working as far as I can tell, and responds normally, but the VUK can’t even (reliably) be triggered independently.

Thanks much, and sorry if i’m not grasping everything yet.

#4 6 years ago

This is the PPB:
http://www.marcospecialties.com//images/products/520-5021-00/large.jpg

Did you replace the VUK switch?

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

#5 6 years ago

Thanks again! There don’t seem to be any bad solder joints on the PPB, and we haven’t replaced the VUK switch, since it seems to be registering when the ball is there both manually and during game play. The VUK will only fire once in a while when we trigger it from the menu, but as you saying there’s a chance the switch is responsible for the VUK itself not firing?

#6 6 years ago

Sometimes the switch is making intermittend contact, thus making poor contact.

It can also be the coil.
Loose/broken coil winding can cause this too.

#7 6 years ago

Thanks! I’m not seeing a PPB like the one you linked to. I guess I’ll try just replacing the cool, since the switch seems to be working every time we trigger it.

1 month later
#8 6 years ago

Ordered the VUK, went to put it in and realized it was just a loose connection. Replaced it anyway so that I felt less like an idiot. Thanks for the assist, though!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hudson, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vuk-only-firing-sporadically and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.