Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

poppertop (resized).png
smush (resized).png
20170816_215515 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

VUK go off by it self on my fish tales any ideas?.im Kind of a noob

#2 6 years ago

Have you Q tipped the receive opto? Else, if no wires have broken off the optos, try reflowing their solder pads. Otherwise the transmitter is usually shot.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Have you Q tipped the receive opto? Else, if no wires have broken off the optos, try reflowing their solder pads. Otherwise the transmitter is usually shot.

Thank you!

do you have any pic on how to spotte it/do it?

#4 6 years ago

Two tiny boards mounted to the VUK underneath. I'm assuming, I don't have a FT. (So sorry, no photos either.) They'd each have two wires, all four going to one connector. Make sure that connector is tight, and the boards themselves, if one's loose they won't line up and the game will think there's a ball in there.

There'd be only one component on each board, LED shaped, those are the optos. Clean em, if that doesn't do it just reheat the solder where they attach to the board, the clunking of the solenoid often fractures a solder joint. If still no go the transmit LED (clear one) probably needs replacing, you could change the LED or the whole board, it's cheap. If you can't see it glowing it ought to show up brightly on a cell phone camera if it's working. If it's not dark but dim that'd still be why things aren't working. Might want to replace the receiver too, apparently modern replacements and old ones don't always play nice.

#5 6 years ago

Two tiny boards mounted to the VUK underneath. I'm assuming, I don't have a FT. (So sorry, no photos either.) They'd each have two wires, all four going to one connector. Make sure that connector is tight, and the boards themselves, if one's loose they won't line up and the game will think there's a ball in there.
There'd be only one component on each board, LED shaped, those are the optos. Clean em, if that doesn't do it just reheat the solder where they attach to the board, the clunking of the solenoid often fractures a solder joint. If still no go the transmit LED (clear one) probably needs replacing, you could change the LED or the whole board, it's cheap. If you can't see it glowing it ought to show up brightly on a cell phone camera if it's working. If it's not dark but dim that'd still be why things aren't working. Might want to replace the receiver too, apparently modern replacements and old ones don't always play nice.

thank you!
ill check for that ill take a couple of pics and ill post them

#6 6 years ago

20170816_215515 (resized).jpg20170816_215515 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

Uhhh, ok, that uses a leaf switch, not optos!

So what I said above does not apply.

It looks like maybe the switch is closed without a ball being in there. That'd do it! You could test it in the switch test, or just go ahead and visually check/adjust it so it is open when no ball is in there and closed when there is. Use a ball, not your finger, and do it with the power off!

#8 6 years ago

It looks like maybe the switch is closed without a ball being in there. That'd do it! You could test it in the switch test, or just go ahead and visually check/adjust it so it is open when no ball is in there and closed when there is. Use a ball, not your finger, and do it with the power off!

Your switch test is probably the easiest way to check it. The manual at IPDB shows the switch matrix on page 98. Number 47 is the ball popper, I think that is the VUK.

Using your DMM set to continuity place one lead on the switch where the brown wire is connected, one lead on the switch where the black wire is connected. Without a ball in place there should be no continuity. With a ball in place there should be continuity.

#9 6 years ago

Hang on a minute, I was so transfixed on the contacts that I didn't even look at the paddle(?)!

Looks stuck down to me, I don't see where it could ever go more down!

Is the one side bent and wedged in? Probably because that rubber(?) thing on the end of the solenoid's plunger does not match the manual drawing.

That switch is only supposed to close when a ball is resting on it.

smush (resized).pngsmush (resized).png

poppertop (resized).pngpoppertop (resized).png

#10 6 years ago

Hang on a minute, I was so transfixed on the contacts that I didn't even look at the paddle(?)!
Looks stuck down to me, I don't see where it could ever go more down!
Is the one side bent and wedged in? Probably because that rubber(?) thing on the end of the solenoid's plunger does not match the manual drawing.
That switch is only supposed to close when a ball is resting on it.

Oh no what does that means? How can i do to fix it?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

Oh no what does that means? How can i do to fix it?

I fix it thanks to you!!!

#12 6 years ago

Great! I assume you bent that paddle back where it belonged. Good for a quick fix, but you may want to eventually get the correct part for a permanent fix.

#13 6 years ago

Great! I assume you bent that paddle back where it belonged. Good for a quick fix, but you may want to eventually get the correct part for a permanent fix.

The correct part? What you mean there should be the opto thing? Do they changed the mechanism?

#14 6 years ago

No, sir he's talking about the ball cup that rides on the top of the plunger (see the exploded view drawing). You don't put in an opto but if the cup part is interfering with the switch blade you should order the correct cup for the ball to rest on.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

No, sir he's talking about the ball cup that rides on the top of the plunger (see the exploded view drawing). You don't put in an opto but if the cup part is interfering with the switch blade you should order the correct cup for the ball to rest on.</blockquote

Thank you pinballomatic i still dont see it can you mark it for me please?

#16 6 years ago

In post #9 above there is a picture of your switch and a black rubber piece on the end of the plunger that ejects the pinball. Look down below that there is a little drawing with numbered parts. What he is saying is that the cup (marked 3) in the drawing is what is supposed to be on your game, not the black piece that is there in the picture.

#17 6 years ago

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/565-0029-01
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8053

Two links above. First one the the VUK popper replacement kit and second one is just the black cup so that you can see it. NOTE: if you buy just the cup, you will also need the small round elongated roll pin that holds it in place. See the first kit to see details.

#18 6 years ago

Why do I get the feeling he's "not gonna fix it if it ain't broke"?

Good team effort, though, everyone! Helping out someone with their pin, somewhere in the world, we don't even know where!

#19 6 years ago

Why do I get the feeling he's "not gonna fix it if it ain't broke"?
Good team effort, though, everyone! Helping out someone with their pin, somewhere in the world, we don't even know where!

Im from argentina not easy to get parts here

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 169.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,500 (OBO)
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vuk-go-off-by-it-self and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.