4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PanzerFreak
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170101_164221 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Well I finished up a good chunk of a VR pinball cabinet project over the past couple of weeks. The cabinet itself was professionally made by Greg Butcher who makes professional grade pinball and arcade cabinets here in Michigan. I ended up priming, painting (a metallic blue) and clear coating the cabinet to try and give it a nice finished look. I still need to wire everything up inside the cabinet and plan to add side rails to the cabinet after I replace a set on a real pin. Most of the new parts I ordered are going on one of my real pinball machines while the older parts are on the VR cabinet.

In no way to do I think VR pinball will ever replace real mechanical pinball, not a chance. I wanted to build a VR pinball cabinet as I think playing pinball in VR is now the best simulated pinball experience, oh and yeah because I'll never be able to afford (or house) dozens of real pins, lol. The tables offered in Pinball FX 2 play extremely well in VR and being able to replicate the feel of a real pinball machine with those tables creates a pretty realistic playing experience.

I added some additional buttons to the cabinet so that it can also be used as MAME controller and hopefully for some VR MAME games once they are out.

Wiring / hardware information came from the Tested.com article below and the link to the buttons I used on the cabinet (recommended by Greg) are below that.

http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/569647-how-build-pinsim-virtual-reality-pinball-machine/

ebay.com link

20170101_164221 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Let me know how you get mame to play on your second monitor. Right now I can't figure that out so mame will only run on my PF monitor and I need it to run on my back glass monitor.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Let me know how you get mame to play on your second monitor. Right now I can't figure that out so mame will only run on my PF monitor and I need it to run on my back glass monitor.

Doesn't look like he is using monitors. Looks like VR glass's are being used. Don't see how this even comes close to real pinball and you play mame games like this too? Visual pinball is the only way to go for the look and feel of a real pinball machine in a pinball cabinet.

#4 4 years ago

Why not use a I-pac for the buttons and joystick and you really make your own 555 housing for an led bulb (you know they have these out there right)???

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

Doesn't look like he is using monitors. Looks like VR glass's are being used. Don't see how this even comes close to real pinball and you play mame games like this too? Visual pinball is the only way to go for the look and feel of a real pinball machine in a pinball cabinet.

Yup, using an Oculus Rift. Honestly, for me I'm not a big fan of visual pinball or any virtual pinball setup that is played on a full size cabinet. The cabinets are cool but the gameplays always feels off and flat to me. Below are a few reasons why I would go with a VR setup over a full sized virtual pinball cabinet

1. Cost: For around $2000-2500 you can build a high end gaming PC, the VR cabinet controller and buy an Oculus Rift. Both the Oculus Rift and PC can then be used for a lot other tasks (playing games, work, etc) unlike the hardware for a virtual pin cabinet which will only have one purpose.

2. Space: The controller I posted above is the first 10" of a pinball machine. It's easy to move around, can be stored,

3. Immersion: Everything in a virtual pinball game such as Pinball FX 2 is in 3D. Also, depth perception and tracking while in 3D is very immersive while using a VR headset (can not be replicated the same way by a virtual pin).

4. Ease of use: Other then initially configuring the buttons for the VR controller there's no need for spending a lot of time tweaking settings using a VR setup.

1 month later
    #6 3 years ago

So what do you see when playing VR Pinball? Same as standing in front of a physical one? Or is your viewpoint that of the ball? Or maybe some other view?

#7 3 years ago

Yes, same as standing in front of a real pinball cabinet. The scaling in Pinball FX2 is pretty spot on.While playing the game you can see the cabinet, playfield, back box and even look around the room.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yes, same as standing in front of a real pinball cabinet. The scaling in Pinball FX2 is pretty spot on.While playing the game you can see the cabinet, playfield, back box and even look around the room.

Panzer, I'm looking at doing the same setup. The Tested plans are the best I've found, although I would like to find a pre-built one. Is there any lag or delay while playing?

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Glarrownage:

Panzer, I'm looking at doing the same setup. The Tested plans are the best I've found, although I would like to find a pre-built one. Is there any lag or delay while playing?

I haven't noticed any lag, seems very responsive.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 125.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Great American Pinball
    $ 109.99
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 8.99
    Electronics
    Dr. Dave's Pinball Parts
    $ 79.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 14.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 5,899.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    PinCoasters
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Decals
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Loop Combo Pinball
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside