(Topic ID: 73428)

VP / HyperPin; I know... it's not "real" pinball, however I have a real question

By Kerry_Richard

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by V8chopper
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hello Pinsiders... I'm an old school pinball fan/hobbyist. I've been collecting/playing pinball since our first purchase Funhouse in 93', I still have it.

My question is... how reliable are these VP / Hyper Pinballs?

I ask because...I own 4 vacation homes in Lake Tahoe. I have about 10 games in each (2 pinballs, MsPacMan, air-hockey, MegaTouch, foosball (2) Rush the Rock drivers etc.). The pinballs get played a lot by our guests. The maintennce on them has been tough (broken rubbers / stuck balls / dirty playfield / etc) .

I recently purchased a used Hyper Pinball which has 187 games in it. It's a cool concept and I think would do well there. To anyone in the know... do you feel this/these (VP / HyperPins) would be good there, or do I have new problems / issues to deal with?

Thanks for your input.
    Kerry

#2 10 years ago

Different set of problems. They are more reliable then a real pin as you don't have balls getting stuck and parts breaking but you do have the added complexity of use. With a real pin you go up to it, press start and play. With a hyperpin you have to go through the process of selecting the table and then when you are finished closing it down correctly.

Is this hard to do? Nope. Do non-computer people have problems with it? yes. I have instructions for use printed on my lock down bar but I can tell you when I have parties at the house I still spend most of my time helping people navigate it.

I do think it's a good option for a cabin though.

#3 10 years ago

85vett... Thanks for your input! I've typed up brief instructions for game selection & play. I have not placed it at the vacation home yet.

Question; "If" someone just powers it down without properly exiting game... will that present problems?

#4 10 years ago

I agree with 85vett on this. Any problems with the PC and you will be getting a service call. Just make sure the tables you install all work correctly so they don't crash when loading.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

85vett... Thanks for your input! I've typed up brief instructions for game selection & play. I have not placed it at the vacation home yet.
    Question; "If" someone just powers it down without properly exiting game... will that present problems?

That's debatable. It's no different than just shutting down a PC. I know some people say that causes harm to the PC and others say it's not an issue. One thing for sure is it will give you that error when you turn it on the next time.

Here is how I have mine set up -
    - Switch to turn the whole system on (CPU and TV's). Switch is in the same location as a real machine
    - Push button that turns the CPU on. Simple to do. Just have to connect to the board where the power switch goes.
    - I put hyperpin in my start up process so when the PC turns on it starts hyperpin.
    - At this point hyperpin is up and running so they have to select the table.

As for exiting. I have mine set up to pause with a quick press of the exit button and exit when the exit button is held for 3 seconds. If I put this somewhere I wouldn't be I would change this to exit at touch of button vs having to hold it down (limits confusion).

You will clearly need to explain how to turn it off. When you exit a table it will go back to the main "spin" screen. Hit exit again then click down to "shut down". This shuts the PC off at which point they can turn the CPU off.

It's not hard to figure out but if you have vacationers there make sure the instructions are very detailed and maybe even have pics of what things should look like othewise you are asking for calls.

A hyperpin is probably less risky then a real pin for this as real pins always have silly things pop up (ball getting stuck) which is a show stopper. With hyperpin if something goes wrong you just reboot. Still, neither is fool proof.

Hope this helps

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from bcfast:

I agree with 85vett on this. Any problems with the PC and you will be getting a service call. Just make sure the tables you install all work correctly so they don't crash when loading.

I second this. Keep it simple. Their are 100's of tables out there. Select 10-20 good ones and leave it at that. Too many can actually be a detractor. This is what most people do when they takes these to shows if that tells you anything.

#7 10 years ago

I own 4 vacation homes in Lake Tahoe.

Do you rotate which one you stay at each time you are there?

#8 10 years ago

I just use the power on button to turn off the pc. I've been doing it that way for years - mame cab, vp cab, desktop. It sends the signal to the os to shutdown.
    I can be in middle of table, or hyperspin screen, just a quick press and it shuts down properly.
    EVERY table should be verified working and exitable ok, before u put it out.
    Mine has a coin door with fans underneath it. I have coin mechs locked up, so a coin shouldnt go flying around inside.
    Overall, mine is very reliable, but I still have a harddrve backup on a flashdrive, just in case.

#9 10 years ago

Great tips guys...

I'm excited to see how this is rec'vd at the Funhouses. Boogies you know I'm a "real" pinball guy... but I'll say "you" turned me onto the VP. Your games are awesome.

Thanks again.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Do you rotate which one you stay at each time you are there?

We usually go to the one that is not booked. We usually always have items to fix/clean/adjust... but's that's home ownership.

For those who asked, here's the site MyTahoeFunHouse.com

#11 10 years ago

Boogies got me hooked too I was sold on it after playing on his at PAGGO last year.

#12 10 years ago

"Real" is in the eye of the beholder....

#13 10 years ago

We usually go to the one that is not booked. We usually always have items to fix/clean/adjust... but's that's home ownership.
    For those who asked, here's the site MyTahoeFunHouse.com

WOW! That looks like a great idea. And is the price listed on your site per person or for as many as can fit

#14 10 years ago

Ronnie1114... our FunHouses are $199, $249 & $295 per night. They sleep 8, 12 or 14. So, the cost can easily be split between that many people. We recently sold FunHouse #4 (1 bedroom / 1 bath at $139 night).

I've put out feelers for a couple other VP / Hyper Pins. I think they'll be a hit for our guests, who will only be there for 2-3 nights, over a weekend of fun & games.

#15 10 years ago

Ronnie1114... our FunHouses are $199, $249 & $295 per night. They sleep 8, 12 or 14. So, the cost can easily be split between that many people. We recently sold FunHouse #4 (1 bedroom / 1 bath at $139 night).
    I've put out feelers for a couple other VP / Hyper Pins. I think they'll be a hit for our guests, who will only be there for 2-3 nights, over a weekend of fun & games.

Wow with us and our friends that would make for a very inexpensive stay. we are certainly interested.

#16 10 years ago

if your virtual pin is built user friendly, it's easy to get in and out of tables. mine has a big button under the cabinet , right in the front. Tap that button to leave the table your on and go back to the wheel. Once in the wheel you can hit the power button and shut down if you want.

#17 10 years ago

Ya the key to this is having it user friendly. First a power switch.

It needs to be one button on, that takes you right to the game selection.
    There should be a limit of 20-30 games that all look and run well.
    There should be two buttons (preferably lighted) to start and exit tables.
    And one button to exit the machine and turn off the PC.
    Power switch to turn it off.

K.I.S.S. = problem free enjoyment.

#18 10 years ago

actually that site I said before is virtuapin.net Not .com.

My bad. for those that want to order a new state of the art model. I have the widebody extreme. Running 42", 27 and 17" monitors. Duel amps and high end duel graphics cards.

#19 10 years ago

Yup, virtuapin is the Cadillac of turnkey virtual pins.

Buy with confidence, just double whatever delivery time they quote- they are notoriously Overpromising delivery time.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Yup, virtuapin is the Cadillac of turnkey virtual pins.

I got my from ArcadesRfun and they made the first force feedback machine even before virtuapin. I did experience shipping delays with them as well but their support and product are top notch. I even got a return support call on a Sunday afternoon.

#21 10 years ago

I've had my pin2k style vpin for nearly 2 years now and its a great addition to our gameroom of regular pins.
    I have a number of pins on it that I would never be able to own, a number of pins on it that I'd never be able to find (imports, EMs, bowlers), and a number of games on it that are not real pins like Scarface. Its very entertaining with real flashers and a kick ass sound system.

I was playing Rocky and Bullwinkle last night. I never cared for this game at the arcade, but the way the vp table was made is really fun with super strong flippers and fast ramps. You can of course modify any of the tables and make them better, faster, different, etc. It's a modders dream machine. I've made many tables over the years and enjoy them on this cab.

Anyway, certainly not for everyone, but my whole family enjoys ours.

#22 10 years ago

This is exactly right. If you think it plays like shit. It's your fault for not changing to play the way you like. Every table and every little aspect can be adjusted to your liking. If that little rubber in the way back corner isn't bouncy enough. change it. If the ball doesn't roll as fast on the playfield as you think it should. change the playfield friction.

#23 10 years ago

Wow... you guys have educated me a lot more on the VP. I'm going to place the used one I recently got, in the vacation home and see how it's received. I have to think most people who rent, do know the difference between a 89' Bad Cats or a 91' Addams Family pinball.

I'm also trying to get over the sticker shock of how pricy they are. I guess with 2-3 flat TV's, cabinet, display, computer +++, it ads up quickly.

Kerry

9 months later
    #24 9 years ago

I just set up VP on my test PC so I could try out Wrath of Olympus -- how the heck to I insert coins and get it to play?

That installation process was tedious, sheesh...

-mof

#25 9 years ago

I bought gone from Rick Schieve of Rick's game repair in Elburn IL. As with anything that Rick does it is over the top in attention to detail. There are multiple emulators with the game count around 1000 games. The sound is awesome. Rick built in accelerometers so the machine will nudge. Once you play the thing for a while it is uncanny how your mind adjusts and it feels more like a real game. I bought one for the same reason. Space. If you want to put it in a location where you don't have a lot of space it makes huge sense. Rick is certainly not the cheapest guy on the block however you do get what you pay for.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vp-hyperpin-i-know-its-not-real-pinball-however-i-have-a-real-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.