Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by robotron
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“In your opinion, who saved pinball?”

• Roger Sharpe 72 votes
      24%
    • Josh Sharpe (& the IFPA team) 12 votes
      4%
    • Gary Stern 127 votes
      42%
    • The Pinball Arcade 48 votes
      16%
    • Pinside 45 votes
      15%

(Multiple choice - 304 votes by 265 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

00-ips02 (resized).jpg
    starship-troopers-wyltkm.jpg
    hankreadyaimfire (resized).jpg
    fa_953_pinballban3_970 (resized).jpg
    images-2 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SilverBallKid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I also have to mention that pinball was alive and thriving in most places when Roger Sharpe did his courtroom shot. Even in the few places it was outlawed as gambling, there were still add a ball games.

LOVE this. Not taking anything away from Roger Sharpe, but you wouldn't have known that there was a problem with pinball where I was growing up in Metropolitan Detroit in the mid-70s or in many other big cities where there were no bans. It makes for a great story, one that makes me smile just like most other pinball fans, but it's not the Be All End All.

Nothing is.

Pinball survived - and will continue to do so - because of PEOPLE, period. If you don't believe me, simply invite someone over who has never seen your pinball machine(s) and is between 35 years old and dead. Chances are that the opportunity to knock a ball around for a little while will make them pretty happy. Not everyone will react that way, but many, many people will. I own 3 pins now. My wife thought I was nuts the first time I bought one. Eventually after it got fixed we had some family and friends over and she was just stunned at how excited people were to play pinball. A big part of the reason I will always stay in this hobby because I absolutely LOVE those moments when folks come over and play my pins. Seeing them happy makes me happy.

Quoted from dyopp21:

...and I'll add one to the list that some may quickly discard, but along with all the other things you listed in the choices, it's what got me to PAPA for the first time-- and that's the documentary "Special When Lit." Sure it has some goofy bits (Pingeek sub story being chief among them- it should've been on the cutting room floor) but it also had some high points in the interviews of designers, former arcade owners, operators, and competitive players etc. But more importantly, it showcased PAPA and competitive pinball for folks like me that didn't even know such a thing existed anymore. So, I'll tip my hat to that documentary, even with its flaws.

Thanks for saying this. I own a copy of "Special When Lit" and I totally agree. While I love the film, I am waiting for a documentary about pinball to come out where the story of the history of the game is told well (developments in structure/features/elements) and interwoven with insight into the people who make the industry and the hobby what it is WITHOUT pandering to the "these people are geeks, squares and socially awkward" bit. Yes, I go to pinball events and I know that some pinheads are odd or whatever, but I think that the whole concept is way overblown. I run a brewpub for a living and I could say the same thing about SOME of my customers, but they're not the core of my story. Go on YouTube one night and watch many of the shorter docs that are popping up about the resurgence of the game. Some great stuff there!

I love this thread and the awesome comments that keep coming up!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SilverBallKid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vote-who-saved-pinball?tu=SilverBallKid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.