(Topic ID: 245165)

Vote for the best pin not Stern or JJP or CGC in last 10 years.

By rai

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best pin not from the big 3 ”

• RZ 3 votes
      1%
    • AMH 10 votes
      3%
    • TNA 80 votes
      25%
    • ACNC 27 votes
      8%
    • Houdini 40 votes
      13%
    • Oktoberfest 22 votes
      7%
    • TBL 52 votes
      16%
    • Alien 42 votes
      13%
    • P3 13 votes
      4%
    • Thunderbird 7 votes
      2%
    • Dominos 2 votes
      1%
    • Mafia 0 votes
    • Jetsons 2 votes
      1%
    • Full Throttle 4 votes
      1%
    • Nemo 3 votes
      1%
    • Wooly 6 votes
      2%
    • Other 5 votes
      2%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

29701888-AE84-4C7B-9AC4-06A4989507F5.gif
    16025CBC-9DF7-4B0B-A782-67BC5182481C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I’ll let you guys give nominations and then I’ll post a poll.

I don’t want to get into the JJP v Stern debate so I’m saying anything except those 2 manufacturers as well as CGC pins. (I consider these the big 3 and they’ve all sold 5000+ pins in the last 5 years I’d guess).

Some ground rules can’t include any prototype or one-off pins, must have been officially for sale. This will exclude Predator but should include Alien and TBL pins.

#5 4 years ago

I own TNA so I’m going to vote that.

I never got a chance to play TBL so can not say. I have played Alien a good bit but factoring in cost and unknown support system I’m going to let that pass because I’d not want to own one unless it was remade by a viable manufacturer.

#7 4 years ago

poll added 6 were from Spooky pinball

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I really like this thread - good idea.
    Clear winner. In fact, it's better than any stern, JJP or CGC as well.
    Well you know what it is.

I know what you think, but I don’t think that pin is better than JJP or CGC pins that feature aliens.

#15 4 years ago

Who’s voting other? What other pin is it?

#38 4 years ago

TNA would be the winner of the poll seeing as it’s the most owned. Alien is more traditional modern pin with toys, magnets, ramps and a great theme and theme integration. I wish more Aliens could be produced at a typical new pin price.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I played TBL but really want to try Nemo.

I wanted to buy (pre-order) Nemo but was hesitant thinking that it could run into production troubles. This was before TBL and Alien (Predator, MG etc..) but I was still thinking it was a 50:50 chance it didn’t get made.

Turns out Nemo was the safe bet, or the few that got TBL etc.

#43 4 years ago

My scoop on TNA is a charm don’t know why some people have issues it’s just like any other scoop to me. Sometimes might reject but more often than not it’s a normal shot. I never tweeted it just works.

I agree that Houdini is a special pin great theme and art and fun rules etc..

I think the point of this poll for me was to exclude games like AFM, MM, MB, Metallica, Woz and the like that are more established pins and just look at the fringe pins that are good may have some flaws here and there but the Designers were working with less resources than Stern or JJP or CGC(B/W) so they have to be creative while still being feasible to be made. For example TNA Scott did all the music and code and design of the pin himself and while the code isn’t deep he takes a lot of care and updated anything that was able to. Often a big player like Stern will leave bugs in won’t care about them so long as the pin is not crashing all the time. I believe we see with TNA how a small change in one area can lead to a bug somewhere else and it’s not always easy to see everything until it’s out in the wild which is why maybe Stern let’s good enough code stand.

#51 4 years ago

Thought TNA only sold 550 units.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The beauty of having active boutique manufacturers is the value of their offerings which fill a market void by making pins which would otherwise not be made by Big3. Boutiques are innovating and breaking rules. To build on what rotordave said about AMH, it shifted my paradigm. For decades people fantasized about designing and building a pinball machine. There was always careful planning and plenty of hot air. Everybody knew building pins was hard and they kept dreaming.

Good point. I bought TNA because I like it but also because it's something a bit different. Scott probably built on the success of Ben and at least the idea (with Spooky in the mix) to make a pin that didn't exist. Proves that a pin doesn't need ramps to sell (Beatles confirmed this), and that it didn't need to be a movie or band license to sell and didn't need to cost a million dollars to design. Just a different game, different slant than what the big three are producing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vote-for-the-best-pin-not-stern-or-jjp-in-last-10-years-?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.