(Topic ID: 245165)

Vote for the best pin not Stern or JJP or CGC in last 10 years.

By rai

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best pin not from the big 3 ”

• RZ 3 votes
      1%
    • AMH 10 votes
      3%
    • TNA 80 votes
      25%
    • ACNC 27 votes
      8%
    • Houdini 40 votes
      13%
    • Oktoberfest 22 votes
      7%
    • TBL 52 votes
      16%
    • Alien 42 votes
      13%
    • P3 13 votes
      4%
    • Thunderbird 7 votes
      2%
    • Dominos 2 votes
      1%
    • Mafia 0 votes
    • Jetsons 2 votes
      1%
    • Full Throttle 4 votes
      1%
    • Nemo 3 votes
      1%
    • Wooly 6 votes
      2%
    • Other 5 votes
      2%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

29701888-AE84-4C7B-9AC4-06A4989507F5.gif
    16025CBC-9DF7-4B0B-A782-67BC5182481C (resized).jpeg
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

I’ll let you guys give nominations and then I’ll post a poll.

I don’t want to get into the JJP v Stern debate so I’m saying anything except those 2 manufacturers as well as CGC pins. (I consider these the big 3 and they’ve all sold 5000+ pins in the last 5 years I’d guess).

Some ground rules can’t include any prototype or one-off pins, must have been officially for sale. This will exclude Predator but should include Alien and TBL pins.

#2 4 years ago

The gameplay of Predator will exclude itself.

TNA.

#3 4 years ago

Alien.

#4 4 years ago

The Big Lebowski

#5 4 years ago

I own TNA so I’m going to vote that.

I never got a chance to play TBL so can not say. I have played Alien a good bit but factoring in cost and unknown support system I’m going to let that pass because I’d not want to own one unless it was remade by a viable manufacturer.

#6 4 years ago

There are so few pins that meet these criteria (RZ, AMH, TNA, ACNC, TBL, FT, Alien, P3, Thunderbirds, Oktoberfest, Houdini, Mafia, more?) that you should just have a poll. I'd vote ACNC.

#7 4 years ago

poll added 6 were from Spooky pinball

#8 4 years ago

I really like this thread - good idea.

Clear winner. In fact, it's better than any stern, JJP or CGC as well.

Well you know what it is.

#9 4 years ago

I voted for Americas Most Haunted. Launched Spooky Pinball. Gave rise to the boutique market.

LTG : )

#10 4 years ago

Houdini for me, better than PM or ToM easily!

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I really like this thread - good idea.
    Clear winner. In fact, it's better than any stern, JJP or CGC as well.
    Well you know what it is.

I know what you think, but I don’t think that pin is better than JJP or CGC pins that feature aliens.

#12 4 years ago

This is the only "Best of" poll Spooky might actually have a chance at winning...

#13 4 years ago

I would loved the opportunity to really play Aliens or TBL. My vote is for TNA

#14 4 years ago

I really do love alien. I hope there is some way that it can be made again so others can enjoy it. We are working hard to get these units reliable to share with the community. Coming soon.

#15 4 years ago

Who’s voting other? What other pin is it?

#17 4 years ago

I feel that not enough people have played Alien or TBL for this poll to show an accurate census.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

I feel that not enough people have played Alien or TBL for this poll to show an accurate census.

I never played TBL so that's valid. I've played plenty of Alien which moved it right to the bottom to the list.
    I mean not Houdini bottom, but low

#19 4 years ago

TBL all the way I played many games at Expo it rocks! TNA is cool but its not on the same level.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

As a former owner of TBL, it's nothing special. It's a looker for sure, but game play is lame. You're not missing anything.

I've also got decent time in on Alien. I like that game lots. Hopefully it can find it's way to production.

#21 4 years ago

The Big Lebowski would be running away with this if it wasn't so damn rare.

It is the best game that "nobody" has played.

#22 4 years ago

AMH is a great game. The fact that it’s the first game Spooky made is even more amazing.

I’ve played most of the games on that list, and AHM stands above all ...

- Humour
    - shots (left orbit is one of the smoothest shots in pinball)
    - ghosts
    - humour
    - ghosts
    - jump ramps
    - hellevator
    - ghosts
    - humour
    - rules - hit that “simple but deep” mark perfectly

Just a good fun game.

Go buy one.

rd

#23 4 years ago

I know the code is not complete but the shots and layout on TBL is pure fun and mini play field underneath works well. Not a fan of the Munsters lower play-field as would rather have more on the main play field which Maiden was missing.

#24 4 years ago

Lebowski is so rad.

#25 4 years ago

Houdini is an incredible title w/ a challenging unique layout, excellent rules & fantastic artwork. This machine is solid in every category as AP has produced a definite winner. Overall, Houdini is a very unique pin that goes outside the box. This title shine in the unconventional category & is a well needed change that offers the pinball community an alternative. Houdini for the win!

#26 4 years ago

TBL hands down. Great toy with the rug, the lower playfield actually using in the pinball for bowling, the car bash toy on the upper pf. Excellent use of the LCD screen and also a nicer form factor for the LCD screen as well. Not just a monitor crammed into a back glass. Absolute shame that more of these were not made.

#27 4 years ago

Surprised ACNC isn't doing better, given that it's met all its industry quotas. Favourite to win based on community history though would be TNA.

#28 4 years ago

Only played it once is the best when it comes to gameplay, lights, sounds, and theme integration. TNA is close but just don't care for the retro gameplay. Alien was way more fun with more shots, ramps, and four flippers. Oktoberfest and ACNC sound like pretty solid games but haven't had the chance to play them yet. I played TBL a couple of times but was not as impressed as I thought I would be with gameplay.

#29 4 years ago

It's an interesting poll, but God damn is that a pile of garbage.

#30 4 years ago

I went directly with what I would consider buying as the bar.

So TNA or acnc. Both are spooky.

Maybe I am a little biased on spooky. But the product stands on it own and that is the bottom line.

#31 4 years ago

Another good question: Who has played every one of these games?
    I still haven’t come across WOOLY, Nemo, Dominoes and Mafia. I’ve been lucky to play at least a game or two on the rest.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from shimmydisc:

Who has played every one of these games?

Close! I've played everything but Captain Nemo.

#33 4 years ago

Four votes so far for Thunderturds? Ha, well I guess we know that Mike from Homepin has four different Pinside accounts.

#34 4 years ago

Shouldn't P3 be split up into Lexy Lightspeed, Cannon Lagoon and Cosmic Cart Racing? They are three different games in the past 10 years.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

Four votes so far for Thunderturds?

Now you've done it...up to 5!

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Surprised ACNC isn't doing better, given that it's met all its industry quotas. Favourite to win based on community history though would be TNA.

I feel that it also falls into the category of "many haven't played it."

It is a great game

#37 4 years ago

Alien.. No contest. Even with stern and jjp.

#38 4 years ago

TNA would be the winner of the poll seeing as it’s the most owned. Alien is more traditional modern pin with toys, magnets, ramps and a great theme and theme integration. I wish more Aliens could be produced at a typical new pin price.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

AMH is a great game. The fact that it’s the first game Spooky made is even more amazing.
    I’ve played most of the games on that list, and AHM stands above all ...
    - Humour
    - shots (left orbit is one of the smoothest shots in pinball)
    - ghosts
    - humour
    - ghosts
    - jump ramps
    - hellevator
    - ghosts
    - humour
    - rules - hit that “simple but deep” mark perfectly
    Just a good fun game.
    Go buy one.
    rd

AMH was my vote also.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from shimmydisc:

Another good question: Who has played every one of these games?
    I still haven’t come across WOOLY, Nemo, Dominoes and Mafia. I’ve been lucky to play at least a game or two on the rest.

I played TBL but really want to try Nemo.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I played TBL but really want to try Nemo.

I wanted to buy (pre-order) Nemo but was hesitant thinking that it could run into production troubles. This was before TBL and Alien (Predator, MG etc..) but I was still thinking it was a 50:50 chance it didn’t get made.

Turns out Nemo was the safe bet, or the few that got TBL etc.

#42 4 years ago

Great poll, I picked Houdini for being unique and challenging, yet rewarding with many tight shots. Only demerits it received were because the game’s cartoon mascot was accused of assaulting a cartoon women on another pinball machine. The monkey was later acquitted when proven he had been at Oktoberfest on business, officially it was monkey business

TBL pinball is a beautiful mirage, but with under 100 made, it really wasn’t ever produced. Plus 3/4 of TBL’s I’ve played have had issues and code needs major polishing. Alien is the best pin listed when working, but it is prone to frequent downtime and was dropped. TNA is out of contention until the scoop is redesigned to fix the high rejection rate. ACNC is still actively in the running, check back in six months after future code updates and the rest of the pins mentioned are merely good pins.

#43 4 years ago

My scoop on TNA is a charm don’t know why some people have issues it’s just like any other scoop to me. Sometimes might reject but more often than not it’s a normal shot. I never tweeted it just works.

I agree that Houdini is a special pin great theme and art and fun rules etc..

I think the point of this poll for me was to exclude games like AFM, MM, MB, Metallica, Woz and the like that are more established pins and just look at the fringe pins that are good may have some flaws here and there but the Designers were working with less resources than Stern or JJP or CGC(B/W) so they have to be creative while still being feasible to be made. For example TNA Scott did all the music and code and design of the pin himself and while the code isn’t deep he takes a lot of care and updated anything that was able to. Often a big player like Stern will leave bugs in won’t care about them so long as the pin is not crashing all the time. I believe we see with TNA how a small change in one area can lead to a bug somewhere else and it’s not always easy to see everything until it’s out in the wild which is why maybe Stern let’s good enough code stand.

#44 4 years ago

Easy answer.

Alien or TBL.
    Both are stunning games.

-mof

#45 4 years ago

Of the ones I've played a descent amount of, my picks would be:

1. TBL
    2. ACNC
    3. AMH

#46 4 years ago

A handful of choices rise to the top and the rest can be flushed into a sea of mediocre pins and drained from our consciousness. Most contenders receiving 10% of the vote should be of little surprise. There is something about trying to order five things that seems kinda natural, whereas the poll captures everyone’s #1 pick from 16. Once shortlisted, I think it appropriate to rank those. From bestest to best I’d say:

Houdini
    Alien
    TBL
    ACNC
    TNA

16025CBC-9DF7-4B0B-A782-67BC5182481C (resized).jpeg16025CBC-9DF7-4B0B-A782-67BC5182481C (resized).jpeg

#47 4 years ago

Do you remember reading about or weighing in on whether boutique manufacturers are causing competition for Stern and also whether they are causing JJP or CGC heartburn? Well, maybe the soft data can tell us something. This is the interesting part ... unceremoniously dumping of tea leaves onto a wooden floor and sweeping of them into an orderly pile.

Evidently we have had five pins in past ten years which have been judged and selected by enthusiasts to be the best pinball machines made excluding the Big3 Stern/JJP/CGC. If these games were truly standouts and if they checked all the boxes, sales might be a good place to look deeper. Listed for each are manufacturer, game, sales and manufacturer status.

American Pinball - Houdini - ceased production and retired game after shipping 1,000 games. Company currently producing OF and working on others.

Heighway Pinball - Alien - ceased production and retired games after shipping 180 games. Company was dissolved after bankruptcy.

Dutch Pinball - TBL - ceased production after shipping 50 games and nearing end of a court case with contract manufacturer. Company has been technically insolvent for years and running on fumes.

Spooky Pinball - TNA - ceased production after shipping 800 games. May be vaulted after current pin and Company is going strong making 1,200 games a year.

Spooky - ACNC - in production and shiping #200 /1500. Company is going strong.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Do you remember reading about or weighing in on whether boutique manufacturers are causing competition for Stern and also whether they are causing JJP or CGC heartburn? Well, maybe the soft data can tell us something. This is the interesting part ... unceremoniously dumping of tea leaves onto a wooden floor and sweeping of them into an orderly pile.
    Evidently we have had five pins in past ten years which have been judged and selected by enthusiasts to be the best pinball machine made excluding the Big3 Stern/JJP/CGC. If these games were truly standouts and if they checked all the boxes, then reviewing sales might be a good way to look deeper. I will list manufacturer, game, sales figures and current status of the manufacturer.
    American Pinball - Houdini - ceased production and retired game after shipping 1,000 games. Company currently producing OF and working on others.
    Heighway Pinball - Alien - ceased production and retired games after shipping 180 games. Company was dissolved after bankruptcy.
    Dutch Pinball - TBL - ceased production after shipping 50 games and nearing end of a court case with contract manufacturer. Company has been technically insolvent for years and running on fumes.
    Spooky Pinball - TNA - ceased production after shipping 800 games. May be vaulted after current pin and Company is going strong making 1k games every year.
    Spooky - ACNC - in production and shiping #200 /1500. Company is going strong.

A great "reality" post......

I've only played AlienLE and TBL out of these, so my vote barely counts. Alien was way more fun and appealing to me than TBL, and unfortunate more couldn't have gotten out along w the company achieving legitimacy, furthering the development. Amazing game......none of the others interest me much....

#49 4 years ago

Are these boutiques causing any harm to Big3 Manufacturers? Spooky may have had the only direct impact.

AP had 1 pin in the past few years that sold 1k games. Nothing of theirs since has come close. Expect them to sell 500 games per year and to remain unnoticed. Zero impact.

HP had 1 pin in the past few years that sold less than 200 games and company is gone. Most manufacturers never heard of or have played an Alien. Zero impact.

DP had 1 pin in the past five years and less than 100 games were made. Zero impact.

Spooky has had 2 pins make the cut in four years and they have been building 1,200+ games per year lately. Minimum impact and measurable, definitely greater than zero. Spooky built a fully functioning factory from scratch and then scaled it bigger.

So tally things up ... Nobody but Spooky has put pressure on the big 3 and they did it by delivering games - one day at a time. Not by talking smack or making big promises, actions rather than words. Currently projected to produce 1,500 games @ $6.5k, Spooky is directing $10M away from Stern this year. That number is sufficiently large to grab Stern’s attention and force them to close the gap in features. Spooky and others probably caused Stern to move to lcd 10 years sooner than desired. ALL OTHER boutiques have added little more to the landscape than noise. Boutiques do not threaten the current market, thinking otherwise is foolhearty. Disclaimer - keep an eye on Spooky as the underdog and possible spoiler.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Are these boutiques causing any harm to Big3 Manufacturers? Spooky may have had the only direct impact on the largest manufacturers
    AP had 1 pin in tha past few years that sold 1k games. Nothing of theirs since has come close. Expect them to sell 500 to 1000 games per year and to remain unnoticed. Zero impact.
    HP had 1 pin in the past few years that sold less than 200 games and company is gone. Most manufacturers never heard of or have played an Alien. Zero impact.
    DP had 1 pin in the past five years and less than 100 games were made. Zero impact.
    Spooky has had 2 pins in the past four years make the cut and they have been building 1,500+ games per year every year. Minimum impact, unmeasureable but greater than zero. This company was built from scratch as a small but fully functioning factory and gradually scaled up.
    So tally things up ... Nobody but Spooky has put any pressure to the big 3 and they did it by delivering games every month - one day at a time. Currently producing a maximum of 1500 games per year for $6.5k yields almost $10M in gross sales withheld from Stern by boutiques. ALL OTHER boutiques have amounted to little more than a noisy gnat. Boutiques do not threaten the current market.

correct.....now, if a boutique Predator gets made (note "boutique", not "scam") I'll be looking hard (hell, I don't care who makes it...I think Stern or JJP could kill this one, and still a very desirable title (?)

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vote-for-the-best-pin-not-stern-or-jjp-in-last-10-years-?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.