(Topic ID: 245165)

Vote for the best pin not Stern or JJP or CGC in last 10 years.

By rai

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best pin not from the big 3 ”

• RZ 3 votes
      1%
    • AMH 10 votes
      3%
    • TNA 80 votes
      25%
    • ACNC 27 votes
      9%
    • Houdini 40 votes
      13%
    • Oktoberfest 22 votes
      7%
    • TBL 50 votes
      16%
    • Alien 42 votes
      13%
    • P3 13 votes
      4%
    • Thunderbird 7 votes
      2%
    • Dominos 2 votes
      1%
    • Mafia 0 votes
    • Jetsons 2 votes
      1%
    • Full Throttle 4 votes
      1%
    • Nemo 3 votes
      1%
    • Wooly 6 votes
      2%
    • Other 5 votes
      2%

(316 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

29701888-AE84-4C7B-9AC4-06A4989507F5.gif
    16025CBC-9DF7-4B0B-A782-67BC5182481C (resized).jpeg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 months ago

Thought TNA only sold 550 units.

#52 8 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

Thought TNA only sold 550 units.

From what I understand Spooky is making about 500 games a year, and I think that’s their capacity barring more expansion. Charlie has stated that this is their comfort zone.

It is gonna take most of this year to make the 500 ACNCs they sold last year.

They made 500 - 550 TNAs last year, give or take a little overlap.

Between AMH (150) and RZ (350) they made 500 games over the previous 2+ years plus there were a couple contract games in there (Dominos and Jetsons) that may have gotten a couple hundred each, so I’d be thinking that Spooky lifetime might be closing in on a couple thousand games. A heck of an achievement for sure... but not close to Stern threatening, which I am pretty sure is how Charlie wants it.

#53 8 months ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Spooky Pinball - TNA - ceased production after shipping 800 games. May be vaulted after current pin and Company is going strong making 1,200 games a year.
    Spooky - ACNC - in production and shiping #200 /1500. Company is going strong

Spooky has had 2 pins make the cut in four years and they have been building 1,200+ games per year lately. Minimum impact and measurable, definitely greater than zero. Spooky built a fully functioning factory from scratch and then scaled it bigger.

Numbers are a bit off ...

TNA was 550 units

ACNC is 500 units

Production probably more like 600 units a year would be my guess.

rd

#54 8 months ago

Are these boutiques causing any harm to Big3 Manufacturers?

The boutiques are like the threat of a water pistol in a nuclear war....

#55 8 months ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Numbers are a bit off ...
    TNA was 550 units
    ACNC is 500 units
    Production probably more like 600 units a year would be my guess.
    rd

Thanks for the revised numbers, it changes the dynamic slightly. Spooky sells 600 pins @ $6.5k or $4M per year. Stern sells 10k pinballs to distributors at $5k average for $50M. You might be thinking, $4M compared to $50M isn’t very much, but it is 8% of the 2 company market and normally that is a big deal. Stern probably keeps an eye on them but doesn’t need to take specific measures because Spooky facilty is maxed out. Stern will always lose 600 sales per year to Spooky no matter what it does so they focus elsewhere. That said, I’ve heard Stern relishes ensuring pinball is hard for all companies. Stern May spend less than .001% of every day planning ways to steal licenses from Spooky because they have their hands full trying to sell and ship 10k pins each year. Stern’s true competitors may come from JJP, CGC, itself or non-pinball entertainment, but certainly not any pinball boutiques.

#56 8 months ago

The beauty of having active boutique manufacturers is the value of their offerings which fill a market void by making pins which would otherwise not be made by Big3. Boutiques are innovating and breaking rules. To build on what rotordave said about AMH, it shifted my paradigm. For decades people fantasized about designing and building a pinball machine. There was always careful planning and plenty of hot air. Everybody knew building pins was hard and they kept dreaming.

Along comes Ben Heck - an electronics geek / inventor with no prior knowledge of or experience in pinball. He is going to design and sell a pinball machine and sounds pretty confident about it. This has been an unreachable dream of those around the world with coin-op running in their veins. One of the biggest reasons for this was because technology required specialty software coding and hardware that was controlled by manufacturers.

However, before long, AMH was being made and it sold out the planned run and was a real winner. AMH proved you didn’t need to design something capable of selling 3k pins to be a success because there was a new structure in place where a small run of 250 was possible. Spooky had built the worlds first micro-pinball factory, capable of taking chicken scratch on the back of an envelope and converting it to physical games on locations and in homes. AMH also showed one could control all requisite aspects needed to make a complete pinball machine. The world was a different place and my mind was blown.

Long live boutiques. Currently enjoying Alien and Houdini and one day would like to see an affordable TBL, Kill Bill, Matrix, Predator and Godzilla themes come to life.

#57 8 months ago

AMH gets my vote

#58 8 months ago

The beauty of having active boutique manufacturers is the value of their offerings which fill a market void by making pins which would otherwise not be made by Big3. Boutiques are innovating and breaking rules. To build on what rotordave said about AMH, it shifted my paradigm. For decades people fantasized about designing and building a pinball machine. There was always careful planning and plenty of hot air. Everybody knew building pins was hard and they kept dreaming.

Good point. I bought TNA because I like it but also because it's something a bit different. Scott probably built on the success of Ben and at least the idea (with Spooky in the mix) to make a pin that didn't exist. Proves that a pin doesn't need ramps to sell (Beatles confirmed this), and that it didn't need to be a movie or band license to sell and didn't need to cost a million dollars to design. Just a different game, different slant than what the big three are producing.

#59 8 months ago

Yep - TNA, the little game that could, is romping away with the top spot. But a decent spread of votes among the contenders, which is good to see.

#60 8 months ago

Keep an eye on Spooky as the underdog and possible spoiler.

There you have it, folks, jeffspinballpalace says Underdog will be Spooky's next pin.

1 week later
    #61 7 months ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

There you have it, folks, jeffspinballpalace says Underdog will be Spooky's next pin. Plus theme song is an ear worm so I won’t torture you with it here. (but it is good).

Underdog is much funnier and would sell better than Superman. Theme song is an ear worm too so I’ll spare you. (but it is good)
    29701888-AE84-4C7B-9AC4-06A4989507F5.gif

2 months later
    #62 5 months ago

I was just playing my friends Amh yesterday, and I was thinking -Im glad he has it.

His nephew was playing it with me. He has 20 or so pins. The kid and me were discussing playfield mechanics.

That kid is like 7.

Playfield mechanics. Smart kid. Digression over!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 109.99
    $ 28.95
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 45.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 999.00
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 149.00
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 19.99
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside