(Topic ID: 153615)

VOTE: Best Gottlieb AAB with 3" flippers and drop targets?

By amason2308

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by electricsquirrel
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Best Gottlieb AAB with 3" flippers and drop targets?”

• Free Fall 3 votes
    7%
  • Capt. Card 13 votes
    28%
  • Pro Pool 5 votes
    11%
  • Gold Strike 9 votes
    20%
  • New York 2 votes
    4%
  • Lucky Hand 9 votes
    20%
  • Team One 5 votes
    11%

(46 votes)

#1 3 years ago

Hey all,

A little specific here (I could only find 7 games that fit the bill), but what is the best Gottlieb AAB with 3" flippers and drop targets? I have a few of these games and am interested to see how they rank in the minds of others.... I did my best with IPDB to list em all, but let me know if I'm missing any.

Cheers!

#2 3 years ago

I have Team One and Pro Pool...but can't do it. Like them both equally for their different play. I'll have to flip a coin.

*it landed on it's side, I've never seen that before!

#3 3 years ago

You're going to get all kinds answers why one title is better. Several on your list are very good and would be hard to rank above each other. Artwork, game play, and last-ability are the 3 main factors for me. I haven't played Free Fall, or New York, so can't comment on them. Lucky Hand has a great progressive strategy and getting the upper rollover aab is a fun secondary goal. The artwork is not the best of the games you listed IMO, but I rank it at the top based on gameplay/ruleset and that 'one more game' factor. Capt. Card is fun, but getting the middle saucer is somewhat random. Gold Strike also good for it's theme/artwork and rule set. Pro Pool is fun, but didn't have the staying power in a small game room. Similar topics have been discussed here many times, do a search and you will have most of your poll results.

#4 3 years ago

Haha, seems I should have allowed for multiple votes when setting up the poll

I haven't played a Pro Pool, but Team One is one I have and I LOVE it. Nothing better than getting that last rollover just as the drops are reset to really rack up some extra balls.

#5 3 years ago

[Pro Pool is fun, but didn't have the staying power in a small game room.]

It did in mine!

Here's my little story about Pro Pool. Saw one at a show, for sale. I swore it was a boring dud (I was new and wasn't aware how much a well tuned game will run circles around a poorer one). Ended up playing and buying one local (thanks u2sean) and it was like night and day. Don't imagine I would ever sell mine.

#6 3 years ago

Pro Pool

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Lucky Hand has a great progressive strategy and getting the upper rollover aab is a fun secondary goal. The artwork is not the best of the games you listed IMO, but I rank it at the top based on gameplay/ruleset and that 'one more game' factor.

I guess, for me at least, game-play is at the top of the list, so I'm gonna put you down for Lucky Hand.

Quoted from stashyboy:

Capt. Card is fun, but getting the middle saucer is somewhat random.

Agreed. Mine has a weak coil in it right now and it's STILL hard to get it in the saucer. Outside of complete randomness I don't know how I'll ever get it in there once the coil has been rebuilt.

Quoted from stashyboy:

Gold Strike also good for it's theme/artwork and rule set.

This was the first of this type of game I'd played, which really got the ball rolling on the Gottlieb/3"/AAB/drop combo. Seems to go for double the money though so found others to buy instead.

Quoted from stashyboy:

I haven't played Free Fall

I'm (hopefully) completing a refurb of this over the summer. You're not too far from me - you're welcome to come round once it's done.

#8 3 years ago

Capt Card and Lucky Hand are close but I do like the open layout on CC. One of those games that doesn't get old or boring.

Would like a Lucky Hand as really enjoyed that game.

#9 3 years ago

Lucky Hand me be the only one of those games I have played, and can't remember enough of it to even vote for it. There are not may AAB games here locally.

#10 3 years ago

Many of these are great games. "Capt. Card" can be horribly frustrating, but it's worthy of any collection. Voted for "Gold Strike", but really like some of the others just about as much. "Free Fall" would be my second choice out of this group.

#11 3 years ago

I have owned or own all these titles. You left out Rock Star which I have played but have yet to own. My rankings from your list are as follows:

Gold Strike
Free Fall
Lucky Hand
Pro Pool
Team One
Capt. Card
NY

If you included 2" games then Dimension and Pop a Card are good games to consider.

#12 3 years ago

I don't think "Rock Star" has any drop targets there, Chiefie!

#13 3 years ago

Pin Up!

#14 3 years ago

I'm pretty much in agreement with your line-up though, Delta. "Dimension" and "Pop A Card" are great 2" flipper AABs with drops for sure.

#15 3 years ago

Wow (NPI). How did that one get left out?!!!

#16 3 years ago

Does New York even fit into this category? Isn't it just a "Same Player Shoots Again" game? Or does the half moon credit wheel (with all those blue stars) somehow fit into the functioning of Add-A-Ball?

Flyer says its easily converted to replay and the photos of the back of the head seem to indicate it even has the match numbers across the top?

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Does New York even fit into this category? Isn't it just a "Same Player Shoots Again" game

I think you are correct in your first instinct,
as the couple of New York pins that I have played, were one extra ball per ball in play (i.e. not a true AAB)

#18 3 years ago

If only Team One had ACD artwork, that would be my vote.

Tough choice for me between Free Fall and Lucky Hand. Coin flip says Lucky Hand.

I'm actually on the hunt for a Lucky Hand/Jacks Open or Bank Shot/Sure Shot if anyone has one in excellent cosmetic shape to sell. Must be within driving distance of western PA (around 5 hours or so)

#19 3 years ago

"I'm (hopefully) completing a refurb of this over the summer. You're not too far from me - you're welcome to come round once it's done."

Cool, might take you up on that. Did you ever get to the Beacon Arcade that was stupidly closed down the city of Beacon a few years ago?
Any way you can add 'Pin Up' to the poll? Another worthy game in this category for sure.

#20 3 years ago

I can't see a way to edit the poll to include "Pin-Up" I added it to the list of games related to this topic, but doesn't seem you can edit the poll (unless I'm missing something here). I must admit, I just did a quick run through on IPDB, checking photos for flipper size. "Pin-Up" is not a game I'm familiar with, I must have mistaken the 3" flips at the bottom for 2". Seems like "New York" shouldn't be there, so maybe a vote for "New York" can be a vote for "Pin-Up"??? Seems the poll is arbitrary anyway - if you read the comments, Lucky Hand is the clear winner, yet in the poll gives it only 3 votes!

Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

If only Team One had ACD artwork, that would be my vote.

I've read about an "Ala-Kazaam", which is essentially an ACD on the outside with Team One on the inside.... anyone seen one of these? It may have been a joke, but would be a cool custom pin.

Quoted from CactusJack:

Does New York even fit into this category? Isn't it just a "Same Player Shoots Again" game? Or does the half moon credit wheel (with all those blue stars) somehow fit into the functioning of Add-A-Ball?

Quoted from pinwiztom:

I think you are correct in your first instinct,
as the couple of New York pins that I have played, were one extra ball per ball in play (i.e. not a true AAB)

Again, I have not played this game and I was going by IPDB, which lists it as an AAB. I'm interested though, are there are 2-player games of this era with this "extra ball" feature?

Quoted from stashyboy:

Did you ever get to the Beacon Arcade that was stupidly closed down the city of Beacon a few years ago?

I got to Beacon the summer after it closed and never got to go I've done a little research and it seems it was located on the groundfloor storefront of a building with apartments up above, so noise was the issue. The worst thing is, some ordinances in town were put into effect because of this incident and now no one in town wants a pinball machine in their business. Even though the ordinances don't outlaw pinball, everyone's heard the story of the arcade that got shutdown and fear a pin in their establishment will shut them down too. It's all a real shame

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from amason2308:

I've read about an "Ala-Kazaam", which is essentially an ACD on the outside with Team One on the inside.... anyone seen one of these? It may have been a joke, but would be a cool custom pin.

In the Abr-Ca-Dabra playfield thread I suggested that would be a cool custom pin or conversion kit. At this point it doesn't exist.

#22 3 years ago

Early on when I got into this hobby, my entire collection consisted solely of Gottlieb AABs with drop targets.

#1 Capt. Card, #2 Lucky Hand and #3 Gold Strike for the best 3" flipper games.

Pop A Card and Dimension would be the best 2" flipper games... PaC being #1.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

Early on when I got into this hobby, my entire collection consisted solely of Gottlieb AABs with drop targets.

This is my current collection (well, if you call 3 games a collection). Did your collection just get bigger, or did you get sick of them?

#24 3 years ago

NY is not an AAB, only 3 2P games j can think of are Big Top, Pleasure Isle, Lariat .

My ranking included artwork that is why Team One took a big hit.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from amason2308:

I can't see a way to edit the poll to include "Pin-Up"

You forgot "Bank Shot" too which is a true AAB 3" Flipper, but I'm pretty sure it would not even make the top 5 in any AAB poll.

Ken

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

You forgot "Bank Shot" too which is a true AAB 3" Flipper, but I'm pretty sure it would not even make the top 5 in any AAB poll.

I think I got this one right - no drop targets

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Ken

I was going to add Bank Shot, but no drop targets...

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from amason2308:

I think I got this one right - no drop targets

I was going to add Bank Shot, but no drop targets...

oops! my bad!

#29 3 years ago

OK, went a little further into this and put these games in order of their IPDB and Pinside rankings.... obsessed I know

IPDB Rankings
1. Team One (8.2/10)
2. Capt. Card (7.8/10)
3. Lucky Hand (7.7/10)
4. Gold Strike (7.7/10)
5. Pin-Up (7.7/10)
6. Free Fall (7.5/10)
7. Pro Pool (7.5/10)

Pinside Rankings
1. Lucky Hand (8.441/10)
2. Capt. Card (8.386/10)
3. Team One (7.838/10)
4. Pin-Up (7.593/10)
5. Free Fall (7.546/10)
6. Pro Pool (7.298/10)
7. Gold Strike (7.021/10)

and for the grand champion......
IPDB + Pinside Average Rankings
1. Capt. Card (8.093/10)
2. Lucky Hand (8.071/10)
3. Team One (8.019/10)
4. Pin-Up (7.647/10)
5. Free Fall (7.523/10)
6. Pro Pool (7.399/10)
7. Gold Strike (7.361/10)

#30 3 years ago

The problem with AAB rankings on IPDB is that there are very few reviews/ratings, that 1 or 2 great/bad ratings can really skew the numbers. Fun to see though. I'm sure most here would not put Team One as #1 (on IPDB) or #3 (on Pinside) solely on the artwork.

#31 3 years ago

The problem with AAB rankings on IPDB is that there are very few reviews/ratings, that 1 or 2 great/bad ratings can really skew the numbers. Fun to see though. I'm sure most here would not put Team One as #1 (on IPDB) or #3 (on Pinside) solely on the artwork.

I agree - the small sample size is an issue and rankings can be skewed very easily. To me the big standout was Gold Strike at the bottom. That just doesn't seem right

#32 3 years ago

I know I am in the minority, but I'm just not a fan of Gold Strike or any of it's close cousins. Just don't care for the upper flippers.

#33 3 years ago

I'm in agreement. I had a Gold Strike. It's not so much the upper flippers I didn't care for. It just gives itself away too easy. You can rack up so many extra balls they start to feel meaningless. Great art and interesting layout but I think this is the one replay guys are thinking of when they say they don't like AAB games.

I voted for Lucky Hand. I had one and it was a lot of fun.

#34 3 years ago

I've always liked "Gold Strike" from the very first time I played it in a small pinball parlor back in the day. Admittedly though, it's a feast or famine game. Once you reach the point of "critical mass", it's a matter of how many times you can lap the score reels. I think it would be better if the A-B-C sequence would reset after every ball, and/or the WOW was awarded for only the spotted targets on the top bank of drop targets. The best way to rack up a lot of extra balls on that game is to use the upper left flipper to direct the ball toward the A-B-C lanes when the WOW is lit. You can usually get a few "up and downs" and max the balls to play counter at 10 in short order.
"Free Fall" and "Capt. Card" can be that way too. "CC" usually beats the crap out me, but every now and then it can yield a marathon game.

#35 3 years ago

Captain Card didn't keep my interest 40 years ago . Then I bought one in 2013 it was gone within 6 months. Lucky Hand lasted 3.5 years Team One 6 months . Gold Strike I didn't care for in the 70's but now I really enjoy it. Free Fall has a far better rule set than CC and it'll be one of the last pins I sell. NY was outdated once that bicentennial craze vanished like a fart in the wind .

#36 3 years ago

IPDB throw out the troll rankings from : Liberty, Robert E Bask or any of his other user names, & Slick chic . When someone gives Diamond Jack 1 star, they don't know Jack Chitt about pinball ratings

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

NY was outdated once that bicentennial craze vanished like a fart in the wind .

You got a way with words there, sizzlenuts!!!

#38 3 years ago

I love Gold Strike, but do not love the price tag attached. It's the game responsible for my obsession with this specific group of games. I'm younger (36) so have no nostalgia for EMs at all, but ever since playing a Gold Strike at Modern Pinball I've been hooked. I still remember from a couple years ago, despite them having many of the best modern games ever made, all I wanted to do was keep playing Gold Strike.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from amason2308:

I love Gold Strike, but do not love the price tag attached. It's the game responsible for my obsession with this specific group of games. I'm younger (36) so have no nostalgia for EMs at all, but ever since playing a Gold Strike at Modern Pinball I've been hooked. I still remember from a couple years ago, despite them having many of the best modern games ever made, all I wanted to do was keep playing Gold Strike.

Yup. It was that kind of game back in the day as well. Kids lined up to play it when it first appeared in our local arcade. I actually told the guy who owned the arcade to get it after seeing it and playing it at another arcade. When kids were lining up to play it, I approached him and said something like, "I told you this was a great game!". His response was something like, "yeah, you put a quarter in it, and you can play it for an hour!" "That's not helping me much!" He subsequently had his technician try to modify it to make it harder, but he never really succeeded. I think he had it on three ball play for a while, but I don't think that lasted very long. Those were the days; arcades everywhere filled with EM pins. All AABs here in NY, but I did get to NJ once in a while and played the replay counterparts as well.

#40 3 years ago

I could definitely see how it could be enjoyable on location. It's probably a completely different experience. There is one not far from me at a bar. I'd like to get up there to give it another whirl.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I could definitely see how it could be enjoyable on location. It's probably a completely different experience

Sure, especially when you were just a kid, and maybe had a buck or two to spend playing pinball. You wanted to extend the experience as long as possible. We used to love having those marathon games. After a while, you'd have a bunch of kids all standing around watching you play and they kept track of how many times you lapped the score reels! I think having an unlimited high score potential is more exciting than just playing off a series of 5 ball games that all end with approximately the same score. But that was a long time ago when I had a little more stamina and patience. Now I just turn the game off and go to another one if it gets too crazy. It's different for sure when you're paying.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

There is one not far from me at a bar.

Now that's cool! Can't be many in the wild these days

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from amason2308:

Now that's cool! Can't be many in the wild these days

Yes, it is pretty cool. I just need to get up there one day.
http://www.madisonpinball.com

2 months later
#44 3 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

IPDB throw out the troll rankings from : Liberty, Robert E Bask or any of his other user names, & Slick chic . When someone gives Diamond Jack 1 star, they don't know Jack Chitt about pinball ratings

This IPDB ├╝ber-troll takes his notorious mission seriously. He has at least three identities entering ridiculously low ratings on excellent games, in an apparent effort to manipulate the overall ratings downward. His ratings appear on the same day under the identities: robert.ebask, jurassik and slickchick.

For example, each of the three IPDP identities, on 2/7/11, award to 1953 Gottlieb Grand Slam (among the very best woodrails ever made) and also to the EM version of Joker Poker (among the best multiplayer EMs), a 1.6, 2.2 and a 3.6 rating for each game. Those same three IPDP identities dispatch an even less generous 1.0 to other Gottlieb classic EMs, to wit: King of Diamonds (among the best games of the 1960s), Atlantis (among the best games of the 1970s) and Surf Champ/Surfer (other great multiplayer EMs). Really, a 1.0 in all categories to these wonderful titles?

In stark contrast, this guy bestows a whopping 9.4 rating on ho-hum Sunset and lackluster Magnotron. If anyone on Pinside happens to know this guy, or has played the Sunset or Magnotron in his line-up, please introduce him to me because I want to personally tell each of his three pathetic personalities that I rate him and his bogus ratings a ZERO. . .and I'll bet that his flipper skills are deficient, as a consequence of his unusually small (hands) err. . small mindedness.

#45 3 years ago

For me tough choice between CAPT. CARD & LUCKY HAND ...
LUCKY HAND for the win!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 46.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colleyville, TX
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Federal Way, WA
$ 399.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside