1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pinbum
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Re-make choices”

• Big Bang Bar 43 votes
      19%
    • Monster Bash 82 votes
      37%
    • Cactus Canyon 35 votes
      16%
    • Theater of Magic 14 votes
      6%
    • None of the above 49 votes
      22%

(223 votes)

#1 1 year ago
    Quoted from PPS:

What I can tell you is that in the list of likely remakes are CC, MB, TOM, BBB

While not written in stone, it looks like these are our choices for the next couple of years. I've added a poll for voting but you might also want to rank the order of your choices.

For me right now and subject to change:

1. Big Bang Bar
    2. Monster Bash
    3. Cactus Canyon (only if I can convert to Eric's CC Continued)
    4. Theater of Magic

#2 1 year ago

All of them are great choices. Chicago Gaming is doing a great job. Thrilled with their products.

#3 1 year ago

I voted Monster Bash, even though I am fully aware that I wouldn't buy one. 90s games are awesome. But they've been around the entire time I've been in pinball. I'm all set with 90s.

I realize it's a built in market for the games. Put out what are considered the best of the best. But I'd prefer to see something new with 90s flair. Go where Williams may have gone if they hadn't moved towards P2k.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I voted Monster Bash, even though I am fully aware that I wouldn't buy one. 90s games are awesome. But they've been around the entire time I've been in pinball. I'm all set with 90s.
    I realize it's a built in market for the games. Put out what are considered the best of the best. But I'd prefer to see something new with 90s flair. Go where Williams may have gone if they hadn't moved towards P2k.

I agree and that's why I added the, None of the Above, choice. In fact, I haven't voted in my poll yet but after your comment, I think None of the Above will be my choice.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

But I'd prefer to see something new with 90s flair.

Dialed In?

#7 1 year ago

While nearly all the options are great, the best option IMO would be Kingpin. With the previous rerun of BBB, KP is the last real rare gem that has yet to get the type of wide-spread play it deserves.

Other titles might be "better," but I can't imagine one being more desirable. It would be a HUGE bonus of the code were revisited/finished.

#8 1 year ago

Monster Bash, Totan and TAF for me please

#9 1 year ago

Nah. I love Jack. However, the price is too high. I'll drop 5k on a game in the blink of an eye. But I just balk at 8k and above.

That goes for all manufacturers, not just Jack. If I'm going to drop 8k it is going to be on something serious, like my mortgage. That isn't within the realm of "toy" money. Somehow, I'm not their target market.

#10 1 year ago

At the moment, I'm not interested in remakes. I would possibly get interested if they included significant code updates, particularly to those games that weren't coded well initially. (BBB, King Pin, etc.). Even AFM, MM or MB could have a code update that could significantly refresh the game. I would love to see one of those games put in the hands of a modern code genius like Lyman.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Nah. I love Jack. However, the price is too high. I'll drop 5k on a game in the blink of an eye. But I just balk at 8k and above.
    That goes for all manufacturers, not just Jack. If I'm going to drop 8k it is going to be on something serious, like my mortgage. That isn't within the realm of "toy" money. Somehow, I'm not their target market.

Sure. I was referring to your comment regarding a new game with 90's flair. Dialed In has that feeling.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Russell:

At the moment, I'm not interested in remakes. I would possibly get interested if they included significant code updates, particularly to those games that weren't coded well initially. (BBB, King Pin, etc.). Even AFM, MM or MB could have a code update that could significantly refresh the game. I would love to see one of those games put in the hands of a modern code genius like Lyman.

Uh, MB was coded by Lyman and is great as it is. And AFM is great as it is as well.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Uh, MB was coded by Lyman and is great as it is. And AFM is great as it is as well.

i think he meant the capcoms. All the B/W are Lyman

#14 1 year ago

1. Kingpin (Capcom)
    2. Big Bang Bar

I'm not opposed to any other games, but these are the only two games that I really want to see remade right now. The first two games play great, and I'm sure they'll keep making nice games.

#15 1 year ago

I’d like to have a Indiana Jones remake or Star Trek the Next Generation remake.

#16 1 year ago

Even AFM, MB or MM could be improved with more code. Throw in an Easter egg multiball for doing something hard, or another wizard mode. Wouldn’t hurt existing gameplay, and would make me care more about playing the remakes.

#17 1 year ago

Theater of Magic!

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

But I'd prefer to see something new with 90s flair.

I voted none of the above, for this exact reason. I don't think we need remakes, plenty of games already. Ok, maybe BBB or Kingpin but some of the others are not rare, they are not hard to find and they don't command the huge money.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Theater of Magic!

They are not rare and Id suspect the cost of the new game will be higher than current prices. I don't understand this choice.

#20 1 year ago

I had never owned an AFM I couldnt find a decent one and when I did it was 9k and up. The AFMr LE is so much improved over the original that it was the best move for me to get one. Better cabinet better light show, better dmd, better sound system and awesome game play!

#21 1 year ago

cactus canyon with updated proc software

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

They are not rare and Id suspect the cost of the new game will be higher than current prices. I don't understand this choice.

Allow me to explain it to you then. Perfect cabinet, Perfect Playfield, New electronics, best new color display in pinball, redrawn higher res animations, insane topper, powder coating, mirror blades, shaker motor, completely LED'd, fixed/extended code for titles that need it, 2 year warranty, stellar support, that new pinball smell.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Allow me to explain it to you then. Perfect cabinet, Perfect Playfield, New electronics, best new color display in pinball, redrawn higher res animations, insane topper, powder coating, mirror blades, shaker motor, completely LED'd, fixed/extended code for titles that need it, 2 year warranty, stellar support, that new pinball smell.

Couldn't have said it better.

#26 1 year ago
    #28 1 year ago

It already is. DOn't you mean a re-hit?

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

It already is. DOn't you mean a re-hit?

Yeah, that's what I meant.

#30 1 year ago

MB
    KP

Would have me set for awhile. Here’s hoping!

#31 1 year ago

I vote for Scared Stiff, unique backboard interaction with some of the best animations and call outs ever.

#32 1 year ago

My problem is I own most of the games I ever wanted for many years (not being pretentious, hold on) and most of these are in the list.

The Capcom games are too linear for me to "love" the idea, but I have never played Kingpin. I love the look of BBB but I am still pissed at myself for not trusting that Gene was really going to pull it off.

If I had to pick from the list it would have to be CC after Rick's post about being able to complete the software. I thought the game was a bit easy and incomplete. But as a 90's Williams Western it just should to be in a good collection.

#33 1 year ago

Tough choice as all these games are desirable to me, especially the first two. I’d be thrilled to get either of those, or both.

1. CC with extended code
    2. MB
    3. BBB
    4. Kingpin
    5. TOM

I’m almost certainly getting remake #3 unless it’s TOM.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from Russell:

At the moment, I'm not interested in remakes.

At IAAPA mention was made that a new game, not a remake was on the whiteboard.

LTG : )

#35 1 year ago

I'm going with Kingpin or bust.

#36 1 year ago

I'm an early SS fan so I would say Quicksilver, Star Gazer, Seawitch, Spirit, Krull, or even something wacky like Time Fantasy or Goin' Nuts.

#37 1 year ago

Cactus Canyon I’d buy for sure then BBB

#38 1 year ago

What about something from way back thats rare and desirable. Would people pay 4k for a NIB fathom? Centaur?

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

What about something from way back thats rare and desirable.

BallyHoo

#40 1 year ago

These remakes aren't helping me. My buddy and I used to play pins in the '90s at an arcade we didn't know was a test location. So we'd play proto games like a Scared Stiff with dancing boogeymen and a Safecracker that dispensed antique finish coins. We'd each decide on which were the games we'd like to own and then we'd look to buy them when they were only a couple years old (being traded in off route for the first time) so they were still in great shape and we could look through the manuals and order any game specific spare parts we wanted to stockpile (like WHOdunnit center ramps). That's how I collected most of my classic B/W pins. I didn't want CC then because I didn't like the game (still don't). I liked MM okay, but liked AFM better and found them too similar to have both. I liked ToM better than ToTAN so I tracked down a ToM proto and bought that (my buddy liked ToTAN better so he got a ToTAN). Years later I sent my order in by priority mail to Illinois Pinball for BBB and waited almost three years to pick up serial number 16.

I have played Kingpin (at that test location not knowing it was a prototype) and later at a show. Cool game with nice sounds and dots (though I'm not sure the code for KP was ever completed). Kingpin has a unique feature where flipper power is gradually reduced at the end of a mode unless you keep making ramp shots to keep the power up. This sounds way better than it actually is, since you quickly reach the point where there isn't enough flipper power for the ball to make it up the ramp. It is still a cool game that I wouldn't mind owning, but I can't afford spending $8K or more on anything but my real estate taxes now.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

I have played Kingpin (at that test location not knowing it was a prototype) and later at a show. Cool game with nice sounds and dots (though I'm not sure the code for KP was ever completed). Kingpin has a unique feature where flipper power is gradually reduced at the end of a mode unless you keep making ramp shots to keep the power up. This sounds way better than it actually is, since you quickly reach the point where there isn't enough flipper power for the ball to make it up the ramp.

Kingpin is a timed game ( can be switched to normal play ) when you run out of time, the flippers get weaker and weaker unless you are increasing time until you die.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Even AFM, MB or MM could be improved with more code. Throw in an Easter egg multiball for doing something hard, or another wizard mode.

With Lyman working for Stern, there's no way he would go back and touch his prior work on these games.
    I don't think it would be a good idea for him anyway, and also I'm not sure all the tools would be there to help him make them like deep, new rulesets. No color changing inserts, etc. Not to mention if the changes weren't considered "better", Then you just put lipstick on the Mona Lisa.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from DNO:

With Lyman working for Stern, there's no way he would go back and touch his prior work on these games.
    I don't think it would be a good idea for him anyway, and also I'm not sure all the tools would be there to help him make them like deep, new rulesets. No color changing inserts, etc. Not to mention if the changes weren't considered "better", Then you just put lipstick on the Mona Lisa.

I mostly agree, but I’m kind of a purist. When I see AFM LE remake, it just looks gaudy to me. Already not the Mona Lisa, so go crazy I guess.

#44 1 year ago

Cactus Canyon ,the hell with the rest of them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.00
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 19.95
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 399.95
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pin Mods
    € 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 19.95
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside