Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 221 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by gorditas
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which anti-glare glass is your favorite?”

• Voodoo glass 29 votes
      40%
    • PDI 11 votes
      15%
    • Invisiglass 17 votes
      23%
    • Stern HD 4 votes
      5%
    • Don't care, just control overhead lighting and use cheap glass 12 votes
      16%

(73 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

09B9AF24-D0C6-46D8-8905-853250A7903B (resized).jpeg
    20200523_151358 (resized).jpg
    20200523_151159 (resized).jpg
    20200523_151659 (resized).jpg
    20200523_151456 (resized).jpg
    20200523_152222 (resized).jpg
    20200523_152042 (resized).jpg
    20200523_124320 (resized).jpg
    20191213_173043 (resized).jpg
    20191213_173106 (resized).jpg
    20191208_204259 (resized).jpg
    20191208_204215 (resized).jpg
    20191203_191822 (resized).jpg
    20191203_191043 (resized).jpg
    A8FFC0F4-9F71-4452-BE8D-B7886BCD5248 (resized).jpeg
    E6BA9AE3-47A5-458C-ADE9-C1B24ED8A968 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 4 years ago

I have the Stern glass, Invisiglass, and AP magic glass on most of my machines. All perform roughly the same - after having seen the voodoo glass in person (though not a real scientific experiment), anecdotally it seems like it is similar in performance. None of the glass will reject a light shining right down on it, but they all do give that “is the glass on??moment which is pretty great

Having said that, I wasn’t paying attention and swapped my STTNG (regular glass) and JJP POTC (invisiglass) recently. I’ve been playing STTNG a lot, and didn’t notice, until I turned on POTC again and it was almost impossible to see the playfield! So you don’t always notice unless you’re specifically looking at the glass reflections

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from PBMAN:

Guys. I’m convinced it’s all the same. Have a piece of Voodoo, Stern HD and a Piece JJP WW LE. The stamp on the glass is all the same. Have a feeling they are all buying from the same manufacture. PDI is probably the only stand alone.

There’s a thread bouncing around where very detailed photos were taken of glass on the same
    Machine, and PDI, Invisiglass and another brand were analyzed. They all gave off a very slight tint that was different from one another, so it was assumed that the coating did vary by vendor. The bug is usually stamped by the glassmaker AFAIK and not necessarily related to the anti reflective coating - although JJP puts a very noticeable “Invisiglass” bug on their glass.

I cant tell which is which by the naked eye though, other than definitely being able to tell which is regular glass vs not

#25 4 years ago

I wanted to mention I actually think the API Magic Glass is superior to the Stern glass, and the price point is pretty good

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Its the same price as Invisiglass....$295 per sheet.....

and similar performance. I must have had a coupon, I swear I got it closer to $200

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I guarantee you its not 30-40% more clear.....which is basically the price difference between PDI and Voodoo

Oh snap. QFT

1 month later
    #59 4 years ago

Indeed. I have Stern glass, AP magic glass, and Invisiglass installed. At this point my one game which lacks it (TZ) looks noticeably “reflectly”. It is bothersome to say the least. Voodoo glass would rectify that for sure. The biggest difference I have seen is the minor hue they all seem to add. Invisiglass is a tiny bit on the green side, Stern glass a bit blue. Not sure on the AP magic glass, maybe more red than anything (although this may just be the Houdini playfield)

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from darkryder:

My Voodoo glass didn’t have any numbers etched like that. I just double checked...would not be happy with that myself.

Some glass makers add this "bug " ( that's what it's called) - usually you don't want it in stuff like pinball, for obvious reasons. If you rotate the glass 180 degrees, the bug will be mostly hidden by the lockbar. It's a lot less noticeable than up there at the top.

1 week later
    #76 4 years ago
    Quoted from bent98:

It’s not hidden by the lockdown bar at all! I put it at the top left as if it’s closer to you , you can see it plain as day. So stupid.

Ok wow that sucks

5 months later
    #144 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Good to know....I've owned Invisiglass and PDI....I couldn't tell the difference, but some swear PDI is better....the additional cost wasn't justified in my mind.

Apparently PDI is coated on both sides, which I was not aware of. Not sure about Invisiglass, but Stern is only coated on one side - I had assumed they were all like this. Perhaps one reason PDI is more expensive, but it obviously seems like overkill if so many people can’t tell the difference.

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Thats interesting...I did not know that...I just assumed the glass was coated on both sides? The one thing I did like about the PDI glass is the edges were smooth.....

If I’m not mistaken, Invisiglass is also smoothed on the edges. Not sure if they coat both sides either

2 months later
    #160 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

spidey Did you check out the anti glare glass at the place in Oak Cliff?
    There is a can light with an LED bulb (100w equivalent) right over my two machines. How much can I expect the expensive glass to help with that?

Some -Not much. The glass is supposed To help with reflections from inside the game, And some from the DMD perhaps.
    But it doesn't block direct Light. Unscrew that Bulb!

#168 3 years ago

This is my go-to: about $13 for a pack of 6

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sprayway-23-oz-Glass-Cleaner-SW056R/305667042

NO AMMONIA. Very important.

1 week later
    #177 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Does it matter which side is up? Just noticed the logo is on the underside.

You should flip it just to be sure. JJP games always come with the logo side up

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/voodoo-glass?tu=Rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.