Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 820 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vonnied.jpg
    shirt-mold-1.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20150620_201729.jpg
    PrisonBreak-Pinball.png
    253525.jpg
    257011-i.jpg
    20150410_112749.jpeg
    dd.jpg
    3stooges.jpg
    388658-i.jpg
    deadbeat designers.jpg
    Home.png
    vonnie.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from dkpinball:

If there's some mind blowing million dollar idea that you're afraid will be stolen, then you shouldn't be afraid to hit up family, mortgage the house, and fund it yourself.

/\ This (and mike would know, he's made sacrifices)... if you're truly passionate about something and are completely confident in your project, you shouldn't need a kickstarter. You either do pre-sale (when you have a working table that's far enough along), or you borrow. Also I see what is probably $30-40k easily in pins sitting behind them. I'm guessing those could all be sold for some cash.
    kickstarter_cash.jpgkickstarter_cash.jpg

#140 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Just out of curiousity: if VonnieD would team up with one of the parties above and get the Gremlins movie license, would that make it more interesting for you?

Yeah, if you're calling something "Gremlins" - it better damn well be Gremlins! LOL Mogwai Multiball! Remember the little Gremlin balls shooting out of Gizmo's back!? The game designs itself!

#220 9 years ago
    Quoted from VonnieD:

The wood is 1/2" Baltic Birch 7 layer void free

I bought this 9-ply sheet for a prototype board which is actually about a hundred miles from you:
    ebay.com link: ws

It's a nice straight piece of wood, though baltic is a softer wood than most playfields. Also technically playfields are an odd 17/32, but 1/2" is close enough.

#233 9 years ago

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked by a mod yet. Constructive criticism, sure (I even threw my 2 cents into that ring about funding). Some of these comments are just downright judgmental and mean. I think we can all speculate that this project doesn't scream professionalism, most of what we know is by background checks from web searches (because nobody knows Vonnie D).

I do hope they take this negativity and turn it around to push them into really coming up with something very different. The gremlins concept could be pretty innovative. I mean as flat as scared stiff can be, you have to admit there's something magical about that crate shot (like there really are boogie men in the machine that you're trying to feed).

My only hope is that Vonnie D takes that to the next level, pushing the ball through a maze of subway tunnels and randomly popping it back onto the playfield, doing some cool lighting and sound effects making you feel like there's something really under the playfield messing with the wires.

#238 9 years ago
    Quoted from VonnieD:

Inserts are almost done, still need to sand the tops off.

I'm glad you admitted to hand routing those (they look either under flush, or not tight). hopefully it doesn't affect gameplay for the first prototype.

#253 9 years ago

Sad that potato salad can exceed its goal by 73,000%.. Hell, the potato salad might have enough money to start a pinball company by the time it ends.

2 weeks later
    #345 9 years ago
    Quoted from ChadH:

Vonnie/Wes, can you please turn off the bot program?

It's like the storyline to superman 3 or something...
    000bdf2f3baeb7060c1f100f85894c15f46883b0d350d87468e961710f05564b[1].jpg000bdf2f3baeb7060c1f100f85894c15f46883b0d350d87468e961710f05564b[1].jpg

#477 9 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

Custom plastic molds alone are what, $15k+?

Depends on the size. Even if you're going aluminum mold vs steel, you're still looking at easily $5-$10k even for a typical sized toy (and that's with borrowing a mold base). Of course if you REALLY want to go budget you can build an RTV mold, but it's only good for about 25 shots before it begins to break down. Another cheap option would be to thermoform objects (like ramps), but that would be pretty limiting in what you can build. Really comes down to how many they intend to build I suppose.

#488 9 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Ditching a few MOSFETs could shave a few dollars off a completed board.

Yes.. so shave a few dollars per board, vs cost of removing parts (IE custom board). Unless it's really a matter of an operator pushing a few buttons to delete components, I don't see the sense in it (especially in the grand scheme of things, such as $5 compared to a $6,000 pinball machine).

One company I worked for built a board for the highest output (15 amps), but they needed to create 3 other boards (12A, 10A, 6A). Did we spin 4 separate boards? Nope, it was cheaper to make one board that ran 15A, and reprogram the lower ones to run at lower outputs.

#495 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i'm sure they don't need pinside micromanaging their engineering decisions

Quoted from SadSack:

It's certainly not worth the custom production runs and management the of the new design at your vendor.

/\ Agreed.. I mean I'm not an investor, so I shouldn't really care what Vonnie D does, but being a product designer by trade I know that if you want to justify cost savings, it better either be high volume, or if it's low volume there better be a good reason to do so (high cost savings, necessary change for design).

Of course this is all hearsay at this point, I'm sure the prototypes will be off-the-shelf parts. It would be dumb to spin boards now before the design is done, then realize later you're out of channels and you either have to scrap boards, or compromise the design.

1 week later
    #507 9 years ago

No updates on kickstarter (other than a thank you). I'll get an email when there is one.

1 week later
    #524 9 years ago

wow, I had no idea they spent another $30 on 6 other puppet videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/vonniedpinball/videos

1 month later
    #547 9 years ago
    Quoted from lamihh:

Just checked the line-up and (as expected): No Vonnie D

Maybe they'll bring a whitewood to the gameroom last minute... or maybe they'll just have a simulation of it in visual pinball on a computer with a donation jar sitting on a card table in the hallway

2 months later
    #613 9 years ago

I assumed this project wasn't going anywhere since there hasn't been an update since August and no show at expo. Could Vonnie not make a post what he was up to if Wes was.. not available for comment?

#624 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Just when I thought this week couldn't get any weirder.....

fbz_384b309412077f04d1e9453c1a99ed7b[1].jpgfbz_384b309412077f04d1e9453c1a99ed7b[1].jpg

#670 9 years ago
    Quoted from zucot:

So was Barry Oursler ever involved in this or not?

No, at least no currently. He's got something else cooking up

1 month later
    2 months later
    #715 9 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

the artist was hired off Fiver as well. And was never paid

wow, that's a new low. Can't even pay $5 for work. they had to of made at least that on the kickstarter.

2 months later
    #786 8 years ago

I don't get it. Why would someone want a Vonnie D shirt? You going to make a Skit-b and zidware shirt too?

#790 8 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I already have two Zidware shirts! Are they about to become collectors' items?

I still have a BHZA tshirt. I'm hoping zombie yeti makes prints of the backglass.

2 years later
    #801 5 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

In light of the Alien fiasco (among others), I thought I'd remind those of this blast from the past.
    (Wow...I forgot that Barry Oursler was hired for this dumpster fire, too.)

barry was never even contacted, i asked him in an interview on the pinball podcast. they lied to make themselves look legitimate.

2 years later
    #815 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Crazy story, just read thru it after a nod from the DR thread. Did Wes end up in prison then? Anyone know?

Yes, 5 years in federal prison without parole for his "incense" side business. He's not due for a parole hearing until late 2022
    https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdmo/pr/columbia-man-pleads-guilty-smuggling-k2-china

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vonnie-d-pinball-update?tu=toyotaboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.