Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Da-Shaker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

So, I was playing my Centaur and started to smell a little smoke coming from the coin door. I opened the coin door and noticed my volume pot smoking. I turned it off and ordered another volume pot from Marcos identified as one that goes to Centaur. The new one works, but now I have 1/2 volume. I'm wondering what could cause this. Do volume pots normally smoke when they go bad? Bad ground? Additionally is there a possible capacitor that went bad, causing 1/2 volume?

#2 3 years ago

I did upgrade the speaker 5 months ago with a flipper fidelity out of my Blackout. I believe both games use the same speaker. It sounded amazing until the volume pot started smoking. I've also replaced all the larger caps in the sound boards

#3 3 years ago

This thread is not what I expected at all based on the title.

#4 3 years ago

Your right. I just noticed that. Haha

#5 3 years ago

Could be a good thread, but maybe I should change it.

#6 3 years ago

It sounds like a short circuit issue, possibly an amplifier transistor gone bad?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It sounds like a short circuit issue, possibly an amplifier transistor gone bad?

Those are hard to locate for Centaur. Hopefully it's not that

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Could be a good thread, but maybe I should change it.

What was the original thread title?
“Centaur pot smoking” or something like that?

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

What was the original thread title?
“Centaur pot smoking” or something like that?

Volume Pot Smoking
LOL

#10 3 years ago

The old one may have had old spilled beer or soda pop dripped into it. Possibly your speaker has gone bad. Maybe a nicked/pinched coin door harness around the hinge?

#11 3 years ago

The old volume Knob never turned smooth. It could have had some beer on it and caused it to smoke. I just don't understand how I lost 1/2 my volume after replacing the pot. Could the wire have heated up to the board? I've had other games that didn't have full volume, but never figured out why

#12 3 years ago

No pinched wires that I can see. Speaker is fairly new

#13 3 years ago

There are also volume trimpots on the sound board. Check the sound board for bad solder joints at the connectors. It would be a good idea to recap the sound board too.

#14 3 years ago

I reflowed the pins and replaced the larger caps in both sound boards. My next step will be replace all the smaller caps.

#15 3 years ago

Ill have to look at the schematics too. Maybe I can see what the volume pot ties into on the board and go from there

#16 3 years ago

If I recall correctly, the coin door volume control is wired to the speaker.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

If I recall correctly, the coin door volume control is wired to the speaker.

Thanks Ken, your always helpful. I did add that speaker 5 months ago. Is it possible to get the positive/negative wires crossed, that are soldered to the speaker? I don't know if those two wires make a difference when attached to the speaker lugs.

#18 3 years ago

Actually Ken, that might of help solve what caused the smoking volume pot. I pulled the speaker wires out of my subwoofer, but the wires we're still connected to the speaker. I just looked and the wire that were taken out of the subwoofer were touching, which possibly caused the short. I'll have to check tomorrow and see if the sound returns.

#19 3 years ago

Yes, it works great and sounds awesome! Thanks everyone for helping me locate the problem before I started swapping capacitors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

£ 195.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/volume-pot-smoking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.