IMG_0054 (resized).JPG
IMG_0048 (resized).JPG
IMG_0049 (resized).JPG
IMG_0053 (resized).JPG
IMG_5033 (resized).PNG
IMG_8041 (resized).JPG
IMG_7820 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

If your machine's coin door has two buttons already built in, why not use them to control the machine volume?

This mod will work with or without a coin mechanism in place. I've tested it on a SMVE and MET Pro. There's no reason it wouldn't work on any machine with two coin reject buttons (volume up and down assigned to unique reject buttons).

There are other solutions to external volume control like Pin-Vol or headphone/volume control like ones from Pinnovators. Each have there positives and negatives. I was looking for a simple, inconspicuous home-use solution.

This is a proof of concept at this point.

This is a fairly easy mod using a couple of switches, wiring and clips, a handful of screws & nuts and a mocked-up bracket made of cardboard.

It does require relocating the key hangers from the coin mechanism brackets. I simply moved them to the newly created mounting bracket.

The next version will include a proper bracket (most likely bent aluminum bar stock drilled out for mounts and switches) and wiring harness connector that uses the existing door harness. [EDIT: see later post for wiring harness upgrade and photos]

Enjoy the proof of concept video [EDIT: Revised video, less shake and reject buttons fine-tuned]
https://vimeo.com/198192452

MATERIALS NEEDED for mock-up:

A. 2 x sub-microswitch with 1.9" straight flat actuator (5647-12693-31)
OR
2x sub-microswitch with 3" straight flat actuator (5647-12693-08)
B. 4 x #2-56 machine screws with nuts
C. Corrugated cardboard for creating "L" brackets
D. Zip-ties OR wire ties to fix the "L" bend of cardboard brackets
E. Misc. wiring of your choosing to connect it all and maybe some alligator clips
F. Optional 1-3 beers

Need for future revision:
A. 1 male + 1 female pinned .100 connector for wiring harness [Edit: completed, see below]
B. Bar stock, sheet metal, thermo-formed polymer, etc. to create bracket [Edit: created a version with plexiglass and corner braces. Not the best but better than cardboard. See below]

The instructions below are in the pictures. This is not a complicated mod. First machine took a while to get going, but the second one was done in 30-45 minutes. This is by no means a final revision but rather a proof-of-concept hack.

Good luck modding your machine. Any improvements or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

To address the of the Pinnovators' concerns (below in the thread):
A. "squeaky as hell" I now have the microswitches dialed in to the point the slightest pressure on the coin reject button triggers the switch.
B. "sometimes the happ buttons would get stuck if not pressed straight". I have not experienced this. Also see "A", immediately above
C. "you have to push it every time to move the volume you can't just hold the button". This is no different than opening the door to adjust the volume. Agreed, repeatedly pushing buttons to change the volume isn't ideal but I've got to get some exercise somehow.

--No shame in plugging. I like your products (saw them in Allentown) and might pick one up at TPF.

IMG_0053 (resized).JPGIMG_0053 (resized).JPG
IMG_0049 (resized).JPGIMG_0049 (resized).JPG
IMG_0048 (resized).JPGIMG_0048 (resized).JPG
IMG_0054 (resized).JPGIMG_0054 (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago

Very clever, cool mod!

#5 7 years ago

This could certainly be useful.

#6 7 years ago

I could see this on a lot of my older games.....nice work Zene!! I hope this project comes to fruition.

#7 7 years ago

Love it! You going to sell this only, or reveal pics/plans of the mod for DIYers to build their own? I'm assuming you mount switches behind buttons then tap into service switch circuit somehow? I think I've seen similar functionality on VP cabs (maybe not volume, but other functions).

#8 7 years ago

I liked the idea, when we first started 5 years ago we thought about doing the same thing. The unfortunate part is sometimes the happ buttons would get stuck if not pressed straight, then as you can see in the video it's squeaky as hell, the last problem is you have to push it every time to move the volume you can't just hold the button. This is because we all tap off the existing volume switches and are a slave to the factory design. It's a cool idea, about four positaps and a little wire is all you need, should cost close to nothing but your time to install it. Would only work on stern games though, Wms/Bally door interlock keeps the volume unchangeable with out the door being open. Which is why we only build in the volume buttons on our stern headphone kits, or offer our up and down plug n play volume plates for stern and JJP doors. Shameless plug of my product
Looking forward to see this as a kit or if you send out the design to a lot of do it your self guys in the group

IMG_7637 (resized).JPGIMG_7637 (resized).JPG
IMG_7820 (resized).JPGIMG_7820 (resized).JPG
IMG_8041 (resized).JPGIMG_8041 (resized).JPG
IMG_5033 (resized).PNGIMG_5033 (resized).PNG

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Would only work on stern games though, Wms/Bally door interlock keeps the volume unchangeable with out the door being open.

Bummer, this greatly disappoints me.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Love it! You going to sell this only, or reveal pics/plans of the mod for DIYers to build their own? I'm assuming you mount switches behind buttons then tap into service switch circuit somehow? I think I've seen similar functionality on VP cabs (maybe not volume, but other functions).

Yes, I'll post pictures in the next couple of days. It really doesn't make sense to sell this as a kit. Can't compete with the $30 Pin Vol.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Yes, I'll post pictures in the next couple of days. It really doesn't make sense to sell this as a kit. Can't compete with the $30 Pin Vol.

Unfortunately, I am really bummed about the post stating this will not work on Williams (I have a Getaway). Other family members and I all like playing at different volumes (I like it loud), and everyone is constantly changing the volume when they play. Your mod would be perfect for us. I guess I need to test this by shrinking myself down and closing myself in the cab while someone else plays. On second thought, I could just depress the door switch to simulate it being closed to see if the volume buttons work or not in that state

#12 7 years ago

Okay, I am disappointed, but kind of amused.

I just tested using the volume buttons on my Williams Getaway by opening the coin door, holding the door switch in with my finger, and then pressing the volume up/down service buttons. Instead of the volume adjusting, the displayed message on the DMD was "Open the coin door to adjust volume".

So, I thought to myself a) how would I press the volume buttons otherwise?, and b) let's say I was shrunk down and inside the cab with the door closed trying to adjust volume, then how would I be able to read the DMD that tells me the door must be open?

This begs the question to me if there is any kind of workaround for this on a Williams pin?

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

This begs the question to me if there is any kind of workaround for this on a Williams pin?

Sure. Program a small arduino style board that controls a relay that's in-line with one wire on the coin door switch (so it can open that switch programmatically, but not close the circuit if the door switch is open) and also have that board connected to two volume control switches --I think you can get all of these from the coin door interconnect board on wpc and later but I need to check a schematic.

Anyway a the simplest operation is to poll the new volume buttons and when closed, briefly open the coin door switch via relay, send the volume key to the wpc coin door board, and wait until the new volume button is open before restoring the coin door circuit via the relay.

Must be more complicated than that or someone else would have built it...right?

#14 7 years ago

Pictures, build materials and instructions now included in original posting.

Good luck modding!

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

So, I thought to myself a) how would I press the volume buttons otherwise?, and b) let's say I was shrunk down and inside the cab with the door closed trying to adjust volume, then how would I be able to read the DMD that tells me the door must be open?

Playfield up coin door closed?

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

Playfield up coin door closed?

You can't adjust Wms Bally game volume even with play field up and door closed... it's not a option. the interlock has to be open which kills the high power under the playfields.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

You can't adjust Wms Bally game volume even with play field up and door closed... it's not a option. the interlock has to be open which kills the high power under the playfields.

I know this. Mr Tant was asking (jokingly) how someone could push the volume from the inside and see the DMD. Answer coindoor closed with the playfield up. Doesn't solve the issue making the coin rejects volume controls though.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

I know this. Mr Tant was asking (jokingly) how someone could push the volume from the inside and see the DMD. Answer coindoor closed with the playfield up. Doesn't solve the issue making the coin rejects volume controls though.

Yeah, i got where you were comng from. Glad i was alerted to this before i attempted the mod!

#19 7 years ago

Updated wiring harness for one machine. Up next, new bracket to replace proof-of-concept cardboard version. Last picture shows the original harness.

IMG_0058 (resized).JPGIMG_0058 (resized).JPG

IMG_0060 (resized).JPGIMG_0060 (resized).JPG

IMG_0048 (resized).JPGIMG_0048 (resized).JPG

#20 7 years ago

Wiring harness construction for MET coin door reject volume control mod.

IMG_0068 (resized).JPGIMG_0068 (resized).JPG

IMG_0069 (resized).JPGIMG_0069 (resized).JPG

IMG_0070 (resized).JPGIMG_0070 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#21 7 years ago

Updated mounting bracket using plexi & small corner braces. Still not perfect but better than the cardboard. Version 0.3 in the works.

IMG_0186 (resized).JPGIMG_0186 (resized).JPG

IMG_0187 (resized).JPGIMG_0187 (resized).JPG

#22 7 years ago

All that extra wiring, brackets and such and you have the key in the coin door.... I don't get it. Twist the key, open the coin door and use the friggin volume buttons. Voila!

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from FlipperMagician:

All that extra wiring, brackets and such and you have the key in the coin door.... I don't get it. Twist the key, open the coin door and use the friggin volume buttons. Voila!

I never knew that you could open the door and do that! This whole time my games have been on factory default volume.

Couple of reasons to do this:
1. Because I wanted to see if it could be done.
2. Keys in the lock tempt kid's curiosity. I don't want to find any surprises or something poured on the inside.
3. I like to tinker.
4. Maybe the detailed instructions will inspire someone to make something way cooler than this.
5. The Rube Goldberg machine I built to do this is broken.
6. My volume now goes to 11.

I get it, you don't like mods.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

6. My volume now goes to 11.

I don't get it. Why don't you just make 10 louder?

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

I don't get it. Why don't you just make 10 louder?

...These go to eleven.

#26 7 years ago

What am I fking supposed to do with this??

IMG20170203225327 (resized).jpgIMG20170203225327 (resized).jpg

Oh, it's Metallica. I only need up. Carry on.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

What am I fking supposed to do with this??

Oh, it's Metallica. I only need up. Carry on.

Just wire it up to go to eleven!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/volume-control-using-coin-reject-buttons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.