IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_0908.JPG
IMG_0901.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_1114.JPG
There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 9 years ago

The cabinet has had the final reworks and final clear application.There is a little detail left to do like blacking out the neck of the lower and finishing the floor with a light overspray where appropriate.
First the cabinet was sanded with a soft interface pad and 800 grit sand paper.
After that it was masked so I could tighten up the magenta color in both the bordering and the shade.I wanted a reddish base but a little more on the purple side of it.

IMG_8214.JPGIMG_8214.JPG IMG_8218.JPGIMG_8218.JPG IMG_8236.JPGIMG_8236.JPG
#102 9 years ago

The other corrections were made where needed.

IMG_8238.JPGIMG_8238.JPG IMG_8240.JPGIMG_8240.JPG IMG_8242.JPGIMG_8242.JPG
#103 9 years ago

Now unmasked and with the backglass in the background for comparision.My ultimate goal is to pull the cabinet close to the backlass in color but also bridge the gap between the contrast of the cabinet and the playfield.
To explain ....The cabinet has a purple and pink like scheme,the backglass is much more of a magenta and the playfield has none of the pink nor magenta it is red and purple based.
The effort put in helps make everything work better together as a total package.
It is ready for the final matte clear at this point.

IMG_8234.JPGIMG_8234.JPG
IMG_8245.JPGIMG_8245.JPG

#104 9 years ago

Final matte clear is applied.
Matte clear is the standard full gloss clear but with an additive that flattens it out.How much depends on the ratios used of full gloss clear to matte clear.
I like to go with a nice gloss that is lower than full but just a little more than semi so it is not gloss but has a sheen and muted reflection.
At this point the clear is not dry but after 16-24 hours will be at it's desired gloss level.

IMG_8290.JPGIMG_8290.JPG IMG_8293.JPGIMG_8293.JPG IMG_8295.JPGIMG_8295.JPG IMG_8286.JPGIMG_8286.JPG
#106 9 years ago

Do you put the Stern corner protectors on these or is that considered sacrilege?

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Do you put the Stern corner protectors on these or is that considered sacrilege?

No I use felt trimmed behind the legs on this era.

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Now unmasked and with the backglass in the background for comparison.

I noticed the backglass is in what appears to be the original backbox. Did you use a new cabinet for this restore or do you have 2 Voltan cabs?

#109 9 years ago

No I use felt trimmed behind the legs on this era.

Do you prefer felt on painted and decayed cabs?

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

if the cab is decayed I'm not sure what felt is going to help.

#111 9 years ago

Chris, If you don't want to answer this question I understand but what does all this cost. Im guessing 5 Gs for all this work. Again, I understand if you don't want to give that info out.

James

#112 9 years ago

This might officially be my favorite stenciled cab design ever now.

#113 9 years ago

Chris. Just curious, what type of primer, paint and clearcoat do you use for the cabinets? Urethanes, enamels? Water based, oil based? I'm getting ready to try my hand at repainting a Paragon cabinet and I just about have the wood work completed.

I love watching these videos! Thanks for putting all the extra effort to shoot and post them!

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

Felt on painted cabinets, the newer Stern protectors on decaled cabinets.The plastic ones specifically on WPC-95 cabinets and the metal or plastic ones on WPC cabinets.
Reason being that the rear leg locations on WPC-95 games are lower and so the protectors hang off the edge about a 1/4 of an inch .When using the plastic Stern protectors you can easily shave them down.When using the metal ones you have to grind them.

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Chris, If you don't want to answer this question I understand but what does all this cost. Im guessing 5 Gs for all this work. Again, I understand if you don't want to give that info out.
James

It is more than that but depends on a lot of different factors so the true cost is rarely known until all is said and done.

#116 9 years ago

What a beautiful game! Thanks for posting Chris, keep up the great work.

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Chris. Just curious, what type of primer, paint and clearcoat do you use for the cabinets? Urethanes, enamels? Water based, oil based? I'm getting ready to try my hand at repainting a Paragon cabinet and I just about have the wood work completed.
I love watching these videos! Thanks for putting all the extra effort to shoot and post them!

Urethane based primer,paints and clears.All automotive and catalyzed which means there is a hardner and/or a reducer added to each one.This is insures that products are chemically reacted so they dry quickly and completely unlike one part components found in spray cans or other oil and water based paint products .

#118 9 years ago

I just could not get comfortable with my red color choice so I hit it one more time.The third time was a charm in this case.
What a pain to mask and match!
I was able to add a little more detail into the stencil work and further tighten up some line and perfect the surface so it was a blessing in disguise I suppose.

IMG_8311.JPGIMG_8311.JPG
IMG_8318.JPGIMG_8318.JPG
IMG_8308.JPGIMG_8308.JPG
IMG_8309.JPGIMG_8309.JPG

#119 9 years ago

Now unmasked . The neck was blacked out and the final matte clear was applied once more.Three nice coats this time around.
Small accents added to the stencil since these are supposed to be feathers.
I did leave the hearts and drops of blood the redder shade.It is subtle but works well.

IMG_8320.JPGIMG_8320.JPG IMG_8323.JPGIMG_8323.JPG IMG_8332.JPGIMG_8332.JPG IMG_8357.JPGIMG_8357.JPG
#120 9 years ago

Head and lower should be ready to rebuild in the next day or so.

IMG_8366.JPGIMG_8366.JPG IMG_8369.JPGIMG_8369.JPG IMG_8374.JPGIMG_8374.JPG IMG_8363.JPGIMG_8363.JPG
#121 9 years ago

Final on the cabinet.Now on to other things like polishing the hardware so I can get it back together..

IMG_8346.JPGIMG_8346.JPG IMG_8339.JPGIMG_8339.JPG IMG_8341.JPGIMG_8341.JPG
#122 9 years ago
Quoted from BallyPinWiz:

I noticed the backglass is in what appears to be the original backbox. Did you use a new cabinet for this restore or do you have 2 Voltan cabs?

I used the original cabinet .There are two Voltans here one is very rough so I pulled it out for reference as the project evolves. .

#123 9 years ago

so do you polish all your hardware by hand?

#124 9 years ago

or do you use tumblers and what not...

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

so do you polish all your hardware by hand?

Some parts by hand,others in tumblers,ultrasonic cleaners,nickel plating and on and on.
Basically I just look at each part,the condition of it,it's purpose and location and try to figure out the best method.

#126 9 years ago

Part 9 is up now and begins the cabinet stenciling process.As can be seen from the pictures and post there is much more to come on this subject from where this video leaves off.All documented and in the process of being put up there also..

#127 9 years ago

Will you clear coat the cabinet?

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from PinBiohazard:

Will you clear coat the cabinet?

Yes that was done a few different times during the process.

#129 9 years ago

Part 10 is now up.Deals with the color and stencil corrections.

#130 9 years ago

The metal plate on the bottom is cleaned up nicely.
The bracing for the cash box is back in place and I have done what I could with the floor.

IMG_8438.JPGIMG_8438.JPG IMG_8443.JPGIMG_8443.JPG IMG_8447.JPGIMG_8447.JPG IMG_8471.JPGIMG_8471.JPG
#131 9 years ago

Now the cabinet is in the rebuild area.

IMG_8477.JPGIMG_8477.JPG IMG_8465.JPGIMG_8465.JPG IMG_8466.JPGIMG_8466.JPG IMG_8469.JPGIMG_8469.JPG
#132 9 years ago

The metal plate on the bottom is cleaned up nicely.

That is the nicest Ghetto Plate ever installed on a game!

#133 9 years ago

The attention to detail and effort is outstanding. Spectacular.

#134 9 years ago

thanks for the post.

#135 9 years ago

Just wanted to post a thanks. Been watching the Youtube series over the last few days and wasn't aware there was a thread here also.

Really inspiring work you're doing there. Would love to have time (and skills!) to tackle a restore like this. Maybe when I retire

#136 9 years ago

Chris,
This is coming along beautifully. I noticed you don't fill in the nail holes for the side rails. Is that right? Do you upsize on the nail diameter? What's your thought process on that? Also, are you sponsored by Nike? .

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

Chris,
This is coming along beautifully. I noticed you don't fill in the nail holes for the side rails. Is that right? Do you upsize on the nail diameter? What's your thought process on that? Also, are you sponsored by Nike? .

Thanks!
On the nail holes.Once the cabinet is primed,painted and cleared numerous times they are very tight.Additionally the replacement nails are a bit longer.I will be getting into the nails during the rebuild.
I am always in my workout clothes.They are the best work clothes in the world.Nice and comfy,easy to move around in.

#138 9 years ago

Now back to the playfield.
After the clear settles in a few days the surface cracks and masking edges pop up.
At this point it is then sanded aggressively again and prepped for the next round of repaints.
The first thing I want to do on this round is tighten up the previously roughed in areas that were bare wood and painted by hand.I address the purple first.

251.JPG251.JPG 252.JPG252.JPG 253.JPG253.JPG
#139 9 years ago

I missed taking a picture of the orange I masked and repainted because it was so tedious by the time it was ready to spray I had filmed it but forgot the still picture.
Anyway orange was painted as needed or as could be done well then I moved to the wood tones.all this was well documented in video and will be put up once I get a chance to .
All natural woodgrain was saved and enhanced with the rework while the ground in dirt and cracking was eliminated..

254.JPG254.JPG
255.JPG255.JPG
256.JPG256.JPG
257.JPG257.JPG

#140 9 years ago

The playfield is about ready to clear once again in the following pictures.These highlight the work to date including the orange and some closing in of the insert borders although the black work still truly lies ahead.

258.JPG258.JPG 259.JPG259.JPG 260.JPG260.JPG 261.JPG261.JPG
#141 9 years ago

Now the third clear application is in place.

262.JPG262.JPG 264.JPG264.JPG 265.JPG265.JPG 266.JPG266.JPG 267.JPG267.JPG
#142 9 years ago

I will let this clear application set a few days and work on other aspects of the restore plus my other projects of course.

268.JPG268.JPG
#143 9 years ago

Wow incredible shine on that playfield.

#144 9 years ago

Part 11 is up now and gets more in depth into the playfield restore.

#145 9 years ago

Part 12 is up and continues the playfield restore process with things like painting wood tones and another application of clear.

Christopher Hutchins

#146 9 years ago

This whole process is nothing short of jaw dropping... Thanks a lot for taking the time to share this information in such great detail.

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

This whole process is nothing short of jaw dropping... Thanks a lot for taking the time to share this information in such great detail.

Glad to hear it .I am going to try to document the best I can exactly what goes into this even if it takes 50 videos.

#148 9 years ago

Chris I am truly amazed at your work. Fantastic job. Your detail to pinball restorations is top notch. Thank you for taking the time in sharing these pics and videos.

#149 9 years ago

outstanding info thank you.what mask are you using? why aren't you wearing eye protection while you're spraying? joe

#150 9 years ago

mind blown! Really some cool stuff to see as it progresses, thanks Chris!

Brian

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/voltan-escapes-cosmic-doom-restore-hep/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.