IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_0908.JPG
IMG_0901.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_1114.JPG

There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 9 years ago

Part 4 video is up.Deals with teardown and cabinet evaluation as well as the general plan of attack.Part 5 is editing and will be up shortly.That will deal with stripping and repairing the cabinet.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Chris, do you scan those obscure playfields before you begin working on them?

No I don't have a scanner and I am not really computer savvy .Everything I do is all manual labor stuff.

#53 9 years ago

Part 5 is up and it starts to get a bit more interesting. Really tough to capture a 200 hour plus restore in a series of 10 minute or less videos without missing something here and there or having 200 parts but hopefully it covers some basics and at least shows a decent evolution of the project as it takes place.

#54 9 years ago

I will be very interested to see how Chris deals with the dark "tinge" associated with the playfield. Is this just sanding the top coat off to get back to white as I do on my classic Bally's. We will see...

#55 9 years ago

Do you have any tricks when stripping the playfield/harness to make reassembly easier?

#56 9 years ago

The playfield is now cleared for the first time.
These pictures show the steps prior to that .The Mylar was removed in the pop bumper areas,the holes were cleaned the surface was sanded and cleaned as well as possible without losing paint and art.

IMG_7703.JPGIMG_7703.JPG
IMG_7729.JPGIMG_7729.JPG

#57 9 years ago

From that point the shooter lane was sanded and shaped then some rough hand touch ups were done to the most obvious wear in an effort to make somewhat of a blueprint and base to work off of for the more detailed repaints to come. These touch ups are not meant to be exact just something that is better than bare wood sealed under the first clear .

IMG_7746.JPGIMG_7746.JPG IMG_7720.JPGIMG_7720.JPG IMG_7747.JPGIMG_7747.JPG
#58 9 years ago

The other obvious wear spots here and there were also rough in.There is much more to be done but this was a good foundation to clear over .

IMG_7750.JPGIMG_7750.JPG IMG_7752.JPGIMG_7752.JPG IMG_7754.JPGIMG_7754.JPG
#59 9 years ago

The clear is applied and still wet when these pictures are taken.
This first clear will seal the loose paint and wood fibers,help fill various low spots and wear.Start leveling inserts and more importantly give a more durable surface to sand tape and paint on.

IMG_7755.JPGIMG_7755.JPG IMG_7769.JPGIMG_7769.JPG IMG_7770.JPGIMG_7770.JPG IMG_7773.JPGIMG_7773.JPG IMG_7763.JPGIMG_7763.JPG
#60 9 years ago

As soon as I saw the woman on the playfield I knew this was Dave Christensen. I restored those same tits on my Nitro Ground Shaker.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Part 5 is up and it starts to get a bit more interesting. Really tough to capture a 200 hour plus restore in a series of 10 minute or less videos without missing something here and there or having 200 parts but hopefully it covers some basics and at least shows a decent evolution of the project as it takes place.
» YouTube video

Chris - this is great.

What is the best way to knock out the front wooden brackets from the cabinet bottom? In particular, I'm talking about the ones inside the coin door that would surround the coin box.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Chris - this is great.
What is the best way to knock out the front wooden brackets from the cabinet bottom? In particular, I'm talking about the ones inside the coin door that would surround the coin box.

Pull the nails out of the bottom where the metal plate is.After all the nails are out a light tap on the side breaks them free from the floor.After that tap a putty knife between the center brace/cash box divider and the pry it forward..

#63 9 years ago

Pull the nails out of the bottom where the metal plate is.After all the nails are out a light tap on the side breaks them free from the floor.After that tap a putty knife between the center brace/cash box divider and the pry it forward..

Thanks Chris!

#64 9 years ago

Back to the cabinet .
The repairs are complete.
I did make an effort to clean up all the joints and construction of the cabinet by reworking the seams.

122.JPG122.JPG 124.JPG124.JPG 125.JPG125.JPG 127.JPG127.JPG
#65 9 years ago

Now it is primed and guide coated.
Minor things that pop up here and there are addressed with a little putty(the blue stuff).

131.JPG131.JPG
135.JPG135.JPG
136.JPG136.JPG

#66 9 years ago

Starting to sand it down now and work the grain out of it.

137.JPG137.JPG 138.JPG138.JPG 139.JPG139.JPG 140.JPG140.JPG
#67 9 years ago

Sanding is complete and it is nice and smooth.A bit more grained on the back of the head than the rest of the cabinet but it will paint clear and sand out as the process continues.

141.JPG141.JPG
142.JPG142.JPG
144.JPG144.JPG

#68 9 years ago

Everything is prepped for the base coat of white and the speckling pattern to follow that.Once in place that will be cleared to seal it off from the future stencil work since the speckling is kind of a one shot deal and hard to perfectly duplicate in small spots should there be an issue of color leakage during stenciling.

145.JPG145.JPG 143.JPG143.JPG
#69 9 years ago

The white base is down and the speckling pattern is done.I went with a titanium type color to better accent the colors to follow.Original was just a little more on the gold side so it is a reasonable change and not too drastic.

148a.JPG148a.JPG 147-784.JPG147-784.JPG 149.JPG149.JPG 151.JPG151.JPG
#70 9 years ago

Ready to clear and then cleared.Full gloss this time around since I will be sanding it and further painting anyway.
Will let that set a couple days and work on other parts of the game.

150.JPG150.JPG 155.JPG155.JPG 154.JPG154.JPG 152.JPG152.JPG 153.JPG153.JPG
#71 9 years ago

Wow! Your attention to detail is amazing. This cabinet will be the bomb!

#72 9 years ago

Back to the playfield.
It is sanded and prepped for the first true round of repaints.
Red first.
Masking the capes off on the lower was a chore as expected but worth the effort.

158.JPG158.JPG 160.JPG160.JPG 161.JPG161.JPG 165.JPG165.JPG
#73 9 years ago

Now for the next thing I felt would be tedious.Masking and refinishing the yellow.

Then the white in the GI areas.I didn't do it on the interior of the playfield because I think the aged skulls look more correct than bright white ones then on top of that the banners and areas with fine detail and lettering would be tough to improve unless they really needed it.White has a tendency to look like it is floating or 3 D if there are a lot of little details to be cut out of the masked areas.

167.JPG167.JPG 168.JPG168.JPG
#74 9 years ago

At this point some minor hand work is done here and there but it cannot be further masked or air brushed because the risk that poses to the work already completed so I am ready to clear it again.

170.JPG170.JPG 171.JPG171.JPG 172.JPG172.JPG 174.JPG174.JPG
#75 9 years ago

Second clear is applied and this should be what is needed to finish leveling out the surface and inserts so I can concentrate on those and other repaints the next time around.
While it cures I will be continuing the work on the cabinet and stenciling it.

176.JPG176.JPG 177.JPG177.JPG 179.JPG179.JPG
#76 9 years ago

The middle area shows the most improvement at this point but the orange and inserts are yet to be done.

178.JPG178.JPG 180.JPG180.JPG 181.JPG181.JPG
#77 9 years ago

The upper areas in the pop bumper section are also much improved.The little planes and dithering were hard to work with but came out fine.

182.JPG182.JPG 184.JPG184.JPG
#78 9 years ago

The playfield art is awesome, it utterly deserves the HEP treatment to bring it back to life.

#79 9 years ago

Beautiful work as always, Chris.

#80 9 years ago

Back to the playfield.
It is sanded and prepped for the first true round of repaints.
Red first.
Masking the capes off on the lower was a chore as expected but worth the effort.

158.JPG 415 KB

160.JPG 267 KB

161.JPG 215 KB

165.JPG 412 KB

Chris, What do you use to tape off with ? Frisket ? It is clear over parts you are not painting ?

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Chris, What do you use to tape off with ? Frisket ? It is clear over parts you are not painting ?

A material like frisket.Will be covered in the videos once updated.

#82 9 years ago

Cabinet is sanded and ready to stencil.

186.JPG186.JPG
187.JPG187.JPG
188.JPG188.JPG

#83 9 years ago

Really hope you'll be covering what you're doing with the inserts in a little detail.

Can't wait to catch up on this awesome thread!

#84 9 years ago

Second color is done and it is umasked.
I went with a little redder shade for the magenta and a more vivid shade for the purple.
Some of the colors are hard to get a lot of pop out of if you try to do an exact match they can look washed out.That is mostly because I use an auto base and they could have used a lot of different types of paint at that time.

189.JPG189.JPG 190.JPG190.JPG
#85 9 years ago

The head is a pain because the stencils are off.Will take some manual rework but nothing that can't be handled.A tape measure and pencil plus a good grade of tape and razor blade is all it takes.

191.JPG191.JPG 192.JPG192.JPG 193.JPG193.JPG 195.JPG195.JPG
#86 9 years ago

The second purple stencil was not too bad once I had all the correct alignments in order for the first stencil.
The other side was finished at that time and I can move to the front.

196.JPG196.JPG 197.JPG197.JPG
#87 9 years ago

Now for the worst part.That is the front.The front stencil is terribly incomplete and off badly on one side so it is used only as a loose guide to recreate the art.
The purple stencil for the front was probably the worst attempt of making a stencil I have seen.It was missing entire sections.Not sure if they just weeded it wrong or what but if I did not have a large arsenal of tools and a skill set that deals with this type of thing daily they would simply be unusable.

198.JPG198.JPG 199.JPG199.JPG 200.JPG200.JPG 201.JPG201.JPG
#88 9 years ago

Now the cabinet is ready to clear for the second time.This will be done in full gloss once again as I start working towards leveling all edges and sealing the color work before the final repaints,corrections and matte clear application.

202.JPG202.JPG 203.JPG203.JPG 204.JPG204.JPG
#89 9 years ago

Second clear is applied.Not too much effort put into a flawless application at this point since it will be sanded once again but it is a nice finish overall .

205.JPG205.JPG 206.JPG206.JPG 207.JPG207.JPG 208.JPG208.JPG
#90 9 years ago

Those stencils are looking really sharp.

#91 9 years ago

Never paid too much attention to this game before, but it has an incredible lower playfield. Those skeletons in Admirals' coats are awesome. I love that you chose to leave them looking aged.

Impressive work, as always!

#92 9 years ago

Incredible work Chris, love the color choices.

#93 9 years ago

Looks great. Looking forward the the videos.

#94 9 years ago

Part 6 was put up the other day and begins the playfield restore.

#95 9 years ago

Part 7 is up now and continues the cabinet restoration.There is some info in there .Tough to make a true how to video out of any of these projects because the work has to take place without worrying about what we can capture or missed along the way but each time I try to give something up here and there that might not have been covered previously or shed some insight to the thought process.

#96 9 years ago

that playfield restore is so awesome

#97 9 years ago

Now for the worst part.That is the front.The front stencil is terribly incomplete and off badly on one side so it is used only as a loose guide to recreate the art.The purple stencil for the front was probably the worst attempt of making a stencil I have seen.It was missing entire sections.Not sure if they just weeded it wrong or what but if I did not have a large arsenal of tools and a skill set that deals with this type of thing daily they would simply be unusable.

Earlier in the thread Classic Arcades was mentioned. Did you use this stencil? I have ordered some of theirs in the past, never again. Similar to your experience, the ones I ordered had significant errors - places where the artwork was completely missing. Had to return the stencils, and that was a several month ordeal as well.

#98 9 years ago

That paint job is beautiful.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from pinplayer01:

Earlier in the thread Classic Arcades was mentioned. Did you use this stencil? I have ordered some of theirs in the past, never again. Similar to your experience, the ones I ordered had significant errors - places where the artwork was completely missing. Had to return the stencils, and that was a several month ordeal as well.

Yes.The only game in town on these right now.The vendor can be hit and miss but these are definitely a miss on the front and head but well done on the sides.
With only 365 potential sales to be made on these particular stencils maybe accuracy isn't important to them but it is frustrating.
I can't/don't complain I just make them right manually but could see where it would piss people off..No time for that nonsense over here the show must go on.

#100 9 years ago

Part 8 is up now and further captures and explains the playfield restoration process.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 45.00
$ 10.00
$ 199.95
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 10.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/voltan-escapes-cosmic-doom-restore-hep/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.