Topic Stats

• 301 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Locolorenzo22
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 432 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1176.JPG
IMG_1167.JPG
IMG_1162.JPG
IMG_0935.JPG
IMG_1000.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG
IMG_0994.JPG
IMG_0940.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_0908.JPG
IMG_0901.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_1114.JPG

There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 4 years ago

I am kicking off my next Bally SS restore this one is Voltan Escapes Cosmic Doom.It is a pretty rare game at 365 units made back in early 1978.
This will be a very pure style restoration utilizing all the original parts and manually repainting the cabinet.
Manual repaint being necessary since no stencils are available and it will help highlight some processes few show .
The playfield will also require a fairly extensive refinishing .
Anyway should make for a very interesting and informative series that will be captured here in pictures as well as on youtube in videos.
Right now just the preliminary pictures.

Christopher Hutchins

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

#2 4 years ago

Other side.

6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG
#3 4 years ago

Front.

4.JPG 5.JPG 9.JPG
#4 4 years ago

Very cool. I've never seen one.

#5 4 years ago

I would love to see someone post a start to finish cabinet restoration for this type of application. Tools used, paint type and the little details no one really ever talks about. Starting a Sorcerer cab restoration and this could be exactly the thing I need to get over the hump. I am looking forward to seeing this progress.

#6 4 years ago

Awesome! Also curious to know what the original colors on the cab were. It looks like voltan started as red/white/purple like future spa and fades into pink/white/purple like future spa as well. Can't wait to see how this one turns out. Simply gorgeous art on this game.

#7 4 years ago

Very cool. Can't wait to see how this turns out when done, love the theme and the over-the-top Christenson artwork.

#8 4 years ago

Nice. Love these projects you take on. Looking forward
to following the progress.

#9 4 years ago

Very deserving of being restored.

Knock em' dead Chris !

LTG : )™

#10 4 years ago

I'll be following along.

#11 4 years ago

Chris, stencils are available at classic arcade, it's where I bought mine. ...

#12 4 years ago

This is going to be fun to watch!

#13 4 years ago

It's the truth when I say I'd rather see details on this restoration than 10 TAFs.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Chris, stencils are available at classic arcade, it's where I bought mine. ...

Thanks for the heads up.My life just got a little easier.

#15 4 years ago

Here is the first video in the series that will capture this restoration.

#16 4 years ago

Looking good!

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's the truth when I say I'd rather see details on this restoration than 10 TAFs.

I understand that completely and you could throw AFM and a number of others in there too but I have to admit that I *almost* turned this TAF into my next feature restoration.

16_G.jpg
24_G.jpg
22_G.jpg
26_G.jpg

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I understand that completely and you could throw AFM and a number of others in there too but I have to admit that I *almost* turned this TAF into my next feature restoration.

Alright, I'll give you that one.

Wow.

#19 4 years ago

Part two is now up .
This primarily deals with rebuilding the connectors,how that is done and why it is important.
I think this series will flow better than ones I have done in the past since I have a bit more experience documenting them now.

#20 4 years ago

Pictures of the current progress for the sake of documenting it here outside of video as well.

All connectors have been rebuilt.It is a very time consuming and tedious job but there is no way around it on these early solid state Ballys.

IMG_6184.JPG
IMG_6241.JPG
IMG_6245.JPG
IMG_6255.JPG
IMG_6262.JPG

#21 4 years ago

I always look forward to following your restoration videos Chris. Thanks for taking the time to do so, and for sharing it with the community.

Todd

#22 4 years ago

+1

#24 4 years ago

Rebuilding connectors is such a pain. I just did a HG and did not do them all but just spent 4 hours.

#25 4 years ago

Those Bally connectors are almost ALWAYS bad. Good info here...

#26 4 years ago

Now that I'm making my first attempt at a mini restoration on a Paragon I can better appreciate all the hard work you put in on my Playboy game. Thanks for sharing the restoration process again Chris and I can't wait to watch the videos when they come out. By the way, here's a couple of pics of how my lamp panel came out.

Paragon lamp panel back.JPG Paragon lamp panel front.JPG
#27 4 years ago

What an asset to pinball! Thanks for showing us a master at work. It is always fun to follow what you do.

#28 4 years ago

Great thread, will follow.

Thanks.

#29 4 years ago

Subscribed

#30 4 years ago

Looking forward to seeing this.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Now that I'm making my first attempt at a mini restoration on a Paragon I can better appreciate all the hard work you put in on my Playboy game. Thanks for sharing the restoration process again Chris and I can't wait to watch the videos when they come out. By the way, here's a couple of pics of how my lamp panel came out.

Paragon lamp panel rebuild.JPG 179 KB

Paragon lamp panel back.JPG 311 KB

Paragon lamp panel front.JPG 181 KB

Amazing amount of work just to redo a back panel, lots of details, I admire your effort.

#32 4 years ago

Part 3 went up today.

#33 4 years ago

Yipes, knocking a stuck liftoff bar from a Voltan backglass.....you, sir, are made of braver stuff than I.

#34 4 years ago

Man I can see you possibly getting your money out of that old turd for the effort it takes to restore it. Is this for a customer that owns it and is paying for the work?

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Man I can see you possibly getting your money out of that old turd for the effort it takes to restore it. Is this for a customer that owns it and is paying for the work?

This is a very cool game that deserves to be restored just as much as any other game that someone is willing to put the time effort or money into.

#36 4 years ago

The lamp panel is refinished and rebuilt.
First is evaluation and teardown.

42.JPG 43.JPG 45.JPG IMG_6496.JPG
#37 4 years ago

Refinished.
Cleaned and reworked the displays .New strips were made for them and I reflowed the header pins.

IMG_6870.JPG IMG_6503.JPG IMG_6513.JPG IMG_6515.JPG
#38 4 years ago

All metal was polished.The harness is soldered back into place and this panel is closed out.

IMG_6878.JPG IMG_6879.JPG IMG_6881.JPG IMG_6873.JPG
#39 4 years ago

Backglass was cleaned and new channels were installed.The metal channel was tough to remove and had to be forced off.

19.JPG 20.JPG 23.JPG 24.JPG 25.JPG
#40 4 years ago

Will start getting into the playfield removal and restore next I think

IMG_6896.JPG IMG_6898.JPG
#41 4 years ago

Voltan. Seems like Christensen is saying "burn, Chicago, burn." Some of the finest art ever in pinball. IMO, if this game has some cooler sound effects, it would have done better. The beep boops just do not fit the apocolyptic art. Will be following...for sure.

#42 4 years ago

My displays could really use new felt strips like that. What do you use for it?

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

My displays could really use new felt strips like that. What do you use for it?

Just a standard sticky back felt cut into the correct size strips.
Another alternative that might be a little closer to what as on there originally would be strips of Pinbits drop dead foam but it is a little too thick I think..

#44 4 years ago

Backglass was cleaned and new channels were installed.The metal channel was tough to remove and had to be forced off.

Watching the video I noticed that you didn't mention anything about sealing the back of the blackglass.
Do you have a rule of thumb on when that should be done? No flaking leave it alone?

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from HeyYouSir:

Watching the video I noticed that you didn't mention anything about sealing the back of the blackglass.
Do you have a rule of thumb on when that should be done? No flaking leave it alone?

No flaking leave it alone.

1 week later
#46 4 years ago

Any more progress?

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyridon:

Any more progress?

Lots but I just haven't had time to put it all together for a video or post lately.

71.JPG IMG_7633.JPG IMG_7659.JPG IMG_7695.JPG
#48 4 years ago

Lots but I just haven't had time to put it all together for a video or post lately.

Excellent. Looking forward to it.

#49 4 years ago

Great thread. Thanks for the pictures and videos.

#50 4 years ago

Chris, do you scan those obscure playfields before you begin working on them?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
There are 301 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside