Voltage on mains plug lugs when disconnected

By TheRingMaster

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi all!

Today I got my first burst of electricity through my finger from a pin, yay!

I was unplugging my id4 from the wall outlet and accidently touched both lugs/prongs of the power cable with my finger and felt some current through it. It had been disconnected for a few seconds when it happened. I turned the machine off before disconnecting the wall socket as I always do.

Now I wonder if this is normal or if something is wrong here? I know the caps can hold voltage for a few minutes at least even when the game is disconnected from the wall, but is it supposed to be able to "backfire" trough the lugs on the mains plug?

I tested it again but this time used my Dmm instead of my finger and indeed there was some volts there. Hard to tell how much since it just flashed some number and then went down pretty quickly like it was draining the caps.

Would this be prevented if the on off switch break both the hot and common? Not sure what switch is in the game right now but that seems plausible. Still, there would be volts on the coils and things till the caps drain right? And.. Isn't there a bleed out resistor on the board to drain them? How long should it take?

Many questions but just want to hear what you guys have to say.

/ andy

#2 8 years ago

Anyone?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Midlothian, VA
$ 18.95
$ 12.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/voltage-on-mains-plug-lugs-when-disconnected and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.