(Topic ID: 251099)

Phantom Voltage in Disconnected Chime Circuit???

By JethroP

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Continuity Check (resized).png
Test Probe Location (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 7.34.18 AM (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Found a burned up chime coil in Spanish Eyes. Upon investigating I disconnected the coil and measured the voltage to the coil (unterminated wires) and there was correctly 26V when the 100 point or 1000 point switches closed, but with the switches open I measured about 12 volts. I have checked the continuity from the chime coil lead (B-G) to the yellow (power) wire and when the relay switches are open there is no continuity. Why am I reading 12 volts on this open circuit? Is this some kind of induced voltage due to the wiring, or what?

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 7.34.18 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-09-09 at 7.34.18 AM (resized).png
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Why am I reading 12 volts on this open circuit? Is this some kind of induced voltage due to the wiring, or what?[quoted image]

There can't be "induced voltage" unless current is flowing. Assuming everything wired per the schematic, the specific circuit is an open with both switches open, and there is no current flowing. Measuring in a static circuit, voltage is a potential difference. Where exactly are you putting your test probe points?

#3 4 years ago

Does this answer your questions about where I measured the continuity and voltage? I am measuring 12v at the wires that would otherwise be connected to the chime coil, but I have it removed.

Continuity Check (resized).pngContinuity Check (resized).pngTest Probe Location (resized).pngTest Probe Location (resized).png
#4 4 years ago

Basically, if the switches are truly open then the wires between the switches and coil are essentially floating in space and there is no voltage thete, you wouldn't see any kind of voltage at those points. Imo you probably have a short somewhere.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Basically, if the switches are truly open then the wires between the switches and coil are essentially floating in space and there is no voltage thete, you wouldn't see any kind of voltage at those points. Imo you probably have a short somewhere.

Induced voltage can occur when wires are merely in close proximity a hot conductor in an AC circuit. My question, to others: have you ever seen this in your pinball machine?

#6 4 years ago

So what happens when you short the coils of the chime coil? Use your amp meter setting and probes to short the lugs to see current draw with the meter fuse as circuit protection. If indeed you are getting induced voltage readings no current will flow. If you have a short you may blow your meter fuse, but you will learn it isn't an induced voltage reading.

Personally I would lift the 100 and 1000 switch leaf wires one at a time and measure voltage to determine which relay is causing the voltage reading.

#7 4 years ago

When the switches are open, I confirmed there is no current flow and I measure about 12VAC to the coil. OK, so I received the new coil and installed it and everything is working fine. I'd never seen induced or phantom voltage like this before. I wonder if it has anything to do with me installing a 3 conductor power cord and grounding the neutral.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I'd never seen induced or phantom voltage like this before. I wonder if it has anything to do with me installing a 3 conductor power cord and grounding the neutral.

Probably has more to do with your meter.
https://m.grainger.com/content/safety-ghost-voltages

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/voltage-in-disconnected-chime-circuit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.