New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 152116)

Volley Problems & Issues 1st EM

By Madmax541

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Madmax541
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Just pick up a Volley, was working when I pick it up.

Got it home put it together, put credits on and unable to start a game.
Lights up, press start button targets reset, but ball doesn't kickout.
Check all fuses, all good and correct value.
Notice soleniod on coin door was getting hot cut wires going to it, now nothing happens.
This is my first EM, looking for some help.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Notice soleniod on coin door was getting hot cut wires going to it, now nothing happens.

One set of those wires are twisted together, and they need to remain twisted together. If you just cut them, causing them to separate, then yeah, nothing will happen.

That's the coin lockout coil, and it will get a bit warm. Unless it was buzzing really loudly, I'd suggest putting it back how it was.

(And it's better to just unsolder wires than to cut them.)

#3 4 years ago

Wires have been reconnected.
Credits on, no tilt, resets drop targets but doesn't start a game or kickout a ball.
Backglass is lit and so is Playfield.
What bank of switches should I be looking at?

#4 4 years ago

A pretty important part of an EM startup sequence is the score reels. What are they doing? What numbers do they show?

If they are not moving at all, and show anything besides zeros, and given that it worked yesterday, a good place to start would be the connectors between the playfield and the motor board, and the playfield and the head.

And speaking of good places to start, ESPECIALLY if this is your first EM, would be to go here http://www.pinrepair.com/em/ and go to the bottom where the links are to Parts 1, 2, and 3, and settle down in your LazyBoy, and read every word. When you're done, go back to the top of the first page and send a donation to Mr. Harrell.

#5 4 years ago

Score reels are all at 00000.

When I pickup the game yesterday was able to play it.
When game was first turn on at previous owners game didn't start then a couple of minutes later it played fine.
Assuming something happened in transit.

#6 4 years ago

Did the Ball Count Unit (in the backbox) reset? On the backside of it is a switch stack, and the top switch needs to be closed in order to complete the path to the Ball Return relay. So that's one thing to check.

And after the score reels and drop target reset, does the score motor stop running?

#7 4 years ago

Make sure you got all the connectors back in place correctly when you put the head on. Make sure all the connectors are seated tightly. When I first get an EM I usually clean the connectors with Scotchbrite or 320 grit sand paper just to get rid of corrosion.

Reach in and manually kick the ball to the shooter lane so it runs over the switch in the trough. Does the game start now? Flippers work? Hear a click in the backbox as the ball passes over the switch?

#8 4 years ago

Here is what you would learned had you read the "Before Turning the Game On" section of the PinRepair guides

2b. Before Turning the Game On: Plug Connectors Cleaning & Dim/Bad Lamp Sockets
Before plugging the connector in, take your 400 or 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and sand the circumference of the male side of each pin of the plug. This is the area that the female plug bites in to. Wrap your sand paper around each pin, and rotate a few times. They don't have to shine like a new penny; just get the major crud off.

Alternatively a small wire brush can be used (both in the long and short directions of the male connector pins) to shine up the male pins. (Personally I use a wire brush instead of sand paper as it's quicker.) This works really well. Wire brushes are available for about $2 at Home Depot in the welding department (get the stainless steel variety, not the brass brushes.)

Gottlieb Coin Door Connector.
It's also a good idea to clean the connectors that attach to the bottom panel of the game, and the coin door connector. Gottlieb coin door connectors are especially important - HERE'S THE GOOD PART: If this connector is not making good contact, the game will refuse to work, or some features will not work!

#9 4 years ago

I think this is the issue seems to be missing a tooth.
Is this correct?
Any one have an idea of part number?
Is this the ball count unit?
Manual can only be purchased at PBR, correct?
Don't have manual or schematic at this time.

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

I think this is the issue seems to be missing a tooth.
Is this correct?
Any one have an idea of part number?
Is this the ball count unit?
Manual can only be purchased at PBR, correct?
Don't have manual or schematic at this time.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

That is suppose to be missing. The ball count unit stepper only goes from 0-5. I would again refer you to the pinrepair guides as an introduction to EMs. You will be able to describe any problems to the group here in more detail and understand what's going on with the game.

#11 4 years ago

We have all been here. Order a schematic from PBR, Stop & take the time to read Clay's guide. http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm
You are just farting in the wind until you get a handle on what you are looking at under the hood.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

We have all been here. Order a schematic from PBR, Stop & take the time to read Clay's guide. http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm
You are just farting in the wind until you get a handle on what you are looking at under the hood.

Yes plan on getting those items, and readings Clay's
Was thinking it was something simple.
After working with ball counter assembly, game plays just doesn't advance ball.

#13 4 years ago

Got the ball counter advancing now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,400 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Olathe, KS
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 4.95
Apparel - Unisex
ULEKstore
$ 32.00
$ 9.00
$ 2.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 55.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 45.00
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
$ 50.00
Lighting - Led
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside