Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by PinballAir
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 29 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_3189 (resized).JPG
IMG_1593 (resized).jpg
AA2 (resized).jpg
AAV0.1 (resized).jpg
100_3128 (resized).JPG
100_3125 (resized).JPG
100_3121 (resized).JPG
100_3118 (resized).JPG
100_3116 (resized).JPG
100_3104 (resized).JPG
100_3084 (resized).JPG
100_3071 (resized).JPG
100_3041 (resized).JPG
100_3038 (resized).JPG
100_2969 (resized).JPG
100_2989 (resized).JPG

#1 4 years ago

Didn't see one on a quick glance. Just dusted off mine today and it still works minus the shooter lane flipper button. Forgot how fun it is shooting the skee ball ramp! image.jpg

1 week later
#2 4 years ago

Well, im about to get one in a trade i will prob do, for my Dolly Parton.

#3 4 years ago

Change the title from a question mark to a full stop. This is the club! I haven't got one to add but would be good to see some others volcanoes ..

#4 4 years ago

I have one, currently not working, blowing fuses left and right. Backglass is one of the best in pinball. well worn playfield, but looks great all lit up.

#5 4 years ago

wouldn't mind selling it, no time to work on it.

#6 4 years ago

There is one at The Sanctum.

#7 4 years ago

Volcano was one of my first pins - really liked it. The one I bought was just short of heading to the dumpster. I brought it back and restored it. That pin taught me soooo much about pinball and circuit board repair. All the grounding mods that need to be done on System 80's are crazy. It was well worth it, though. I'll see if I can dig up some before and after pics in the near future...

#8 4 years ago

Well, i just did a trade today, my Dolly Parton pinball for a Volcano

Some minor wear on the playfield, and some cracked plastics (which was fixable), one non functioning bumper and also no music nor sound (dead eprom maybe? it feels very, very hot to the touch.), otherwise it works just fine.

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

#9 4 years ago

Love this game!!!!! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to talk fishbeadtwo into selling or trading his to me!

1 month later
#10 4 years ago

Well i fixed mine up since my last post, those ugly woodtorn parts painted and then i coated the playfield with woodvarnish, i also red coated the flippers, + new soundboard is in the mail from France

Thinking about mylaring it up on those "hit-hard" spots.

IMG_1900_(resized).JPG

IMG_1901_(resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#11 4 years ago

Fixed the left Ball-Save on mine now, the old EOS switch under the metal lid was damaged and abit too short so it would get stuck along with the "hitter" and the game would freak out, so i switched it out to a new one, and now it works perfectly (although the lower green light in that outer lane doesnt seem to light up, the upper 2 lights up but not the last one right at the corner, will have to look on that further.), i also put some more leds around and added a red LED to the Special "crater" hole on the upper parts of the playfield.

1 month later
#12 4 years ago

Bros! BROS! Can one of you provide me with a pic of the underside of the playfield around the middle pop-bumpers? i kinda need a compare pic for cable placements for the coils.

1 week later
#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Bros! BROS! Can one of you provide me with a pic of the underside of the playfield around the middle pop-bumpers? i kinda need a compare pic for cable placements for the coils.

Come on, no one at all?

#14 4 years ago

How's this? Send me a PM with your email address if you want higher resolution. They are about 2.2MB each. Guessing pinside will resize them.

Volcano_Under_Playfld_Rear_(resized).jpg

Volcano_Under_Playfld_Mid_(resized).jpg

Volcano_Under_Playfld_Front_(resized).jpg

#15 4 years ago

I also have an extra Volcano Manual. Licensed reprint from Pinball Resources. Includes service bulletin and fold out schematics. $20 shipped.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

I also have an extra Volcano Manual. Licensed reprint from Pinball Resources. Includes service bulletin and fold out schematics. $20 shipped.

Alot of thanks! Im looking for a compare pic for the cables for the coil in the middle of the playfield (they should be all the same i hope), i suspect i have soldered mine on wrong so i need a pic like this one from mine, or if you could tell me if the colors are right compared to yours.

Also that manual sounds interesting.

IMG_2053_(resized).JPG

#17 4 years ago

Can't tell which way the diode cathode points from your picture. It looks like the wires are reversed compared to mine.

Volcano_under__Pop-bumper_(resized).jpg

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

Can't tell which way the diode cathode points from your picture. It looks like the wires are reversed compared to mine.

Volcano_under__Pop-bumper_(resized).jpg

Actually, looks like i did it right anyway!

IMG_2067_(resized).JPG

Although im gonna redo it anyway to clean it up abit.

1 year later
#19 3 years ago

Anyone interested in this lamp - would make a great topper for Volcano - you can see the exact one I'm offering here - it's pretty cool:

-Nate

3 months later
#20 2 years ago

I joined the club in May.
I have wanted it since I played it at Pin-Maine-ia in 2009.

I worked on the game quite a bit.
Ground mods done. Wrestled with the aux light board and the sound board.
It is playing pretty well now. I have a few more issues to iron out but I pulled the playfield on Monday and stripped it down.
I am going to clean it , touch it up and 2PAC it.

It sucks that the edge connectors are no longer available and the double edge connectors are unobtanium.

3 weeks later
#21 2 years ago

I have been working on the cosmetics of the Volcano.
Please be advised that I DO NOT rigidly follow anyone's guide so please do not scold me.

First clean up.
Magic eraser etc.
I scrubbed this thru the original clear coat to the yellow paint.

100_2977 (resized).JPG
100_2989 (resized).JPG

#22 2 years ago

Playfield touch up is complete.

100_2969 (resized).JPG

100_3038 (resized).JPG

100_3041 (resized).JPG

#23 2 years ago

Playfield is sanded and coated with first coat of 2PAC.

I have since sanded the entire playfileld.
Today I will be filling any low spots with 2PAC and shooting the mini playfield.

100_3071 (resized).JPG

100_3084 (resized).JPG

#24 2 years ago

It would appear I am the only one here.
Thats ok , I will turn off the lights when I leave.

Final coat of 2PAC is on.
Waiting a month before I cut and buff.
Cleaning up the cabinet while I wait...

100_3104 (resized).JPG

#25 2 years ago

Detailed inside the lower cabinet.

100_3116 (resized).JPG

#26 2 years ago

The outside of the cabinet has a series of dents/scratches on the right side beside the terridactile. Poorly touched up by a previous owner.

100_3118 (resized).JPG

#27 2 years ago

Scuff it up and bondo low spots

100_3121 (resized).JPG

#28 2 years ago

Paint it red and spray some dots

100_3125 (resized).JPG

#29 2 years ago

Looking good!

#30 2 years ago

Sprayed the Teridactile

100_3128 (resized).JPG

#31 2 years ago

Great work so far PinballAir. Bet those playfield touch ups took a while! I’m guessing none of these games ever had Mylar installed.

I started with this.

AAV0.1 (resized).jpg

Took me a while.

AA2 (resized).jpg

I just need to tidy up my cabinet paint damage like yours, will be following your progress.

#32 2 years ago

OzPaul: Yours started out much worse than mine.
Looks beautiful. Excellent work! Freakin Fabulous
Gotta know, how many hours did you spend on the playfield?

As I indicated above, I looked for a Volcano for years and made offers on several before I bought this one.
I played at Pin-Maine-ia in 2009 and kept going back to it.
I have wanted one ever since.

For the red on the cabinet I used rattle can duplicolor ford red engine enamel. The black is rustoleum 2x painters touch semi-gloss for the yellow I used Createx yellow air brush paint. ( Not real happy with the createx paints)

If you look close you will see I used the volcano (black) as the cut off for the red.

Cliff

#33 2 years ago

Thanks for the comments Cliff.

How many hours?, took around twelve months of odd weekends before I finally got her back together, as it was my first attempt at playfield repair/clear coats.

Stab in the dark figure would be around 100+ hours. Not worth it for this title, but it was a labour of love

Sorry for causing two Volcano clubs, I missed the first one. Bit more detail of mine here.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-volcano-club-%E2%80%93danger-danger-danger#post-3043253

I’m guessing you have already read http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

At 4.10.3.1 it suggests that you add pull up resistors on the two remote mounted transistors under the playfield. My ‘Export’ Volcano didn’t have them installed and I think they only started installing them on Black Hole onwards anyway. After I added them, I never have any random locked on solenoids during power up or the ‘Thunk’ anymore. I think I also added additional fuses on four or five uncontrolled solenoids, such as the slings and kick targets just in case.

Also finished a Haunted House restoration and a Black Hole would make a perfect trifecta line up, when I find a beaten one here in Australia.

IMG_1593 (resized).jpg

Love all the system 80 games

Cheers,
Paul.

#34 2 years ago

I had to replace the transistor and the coil on the lava pit/extra ball when I bought the machine as both were toast.
Thanks for the heads up on the resistor. I have the thunk . I will be upgrading before the playfield goes back in.

There is a system 80 club on pinside if you are not aware of that already.

I have both volcano clubs as favorites.

Lastly, I restore all the machines because I like them and not for profit. Worrying about making money at the other end ruins it for me.

4 weeks later
#36 2 years ago

Cabinet is complete inside and out.
2PAC clear is sanded and polished.
Reassembly has begun.

100_3189 (resized).JPG

2 years later
#37 13 days ago

Hi.

I am rebuilding the pf on my Volcano and the pop bumper lights seem to have some hack wiring I need to sort out.

First question is are the pop bumper lights on continuously throughout the game or do you have to achieve some feature to light them?

On the two lower pop bumpers I have one light socket lead connected to the GI braid. Is this right?

Could someone let me know which wire colours attach to each pop bumper light socket lead?

The manual doesn't seem to include wiring for the pop bumpers.

Thanks

Andy

#38 12 days ago

Pop bumper lights are on all the time.
They are tied into GI.
The scoring on pops only changes with relation to lava pit multiplier.
Otherwise they are 1k in 3 ball play.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
€ 8.40
$ 3.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 18.99
Playfield - Protection
PinShield
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 30.40
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 249.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 89.99
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 14.95
Various Novelties
Allteksystems
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
PinBoss Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside