• Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiz_pa
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ball Shooter Kicker Solenoid (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

Hi all, I have a Volcano I pick up at a auction that I'm trying to resurrect. It's pretty good shape with little signs of wear. It had a corroded remote battery properly located so no corrosion damage anywhere else. All solenoid fuses were open and I found a switch on a bumper knocked behind the back rubber holding it closed and that solenoid a melted mess. I think that is what probably took it out of commission. Replaced that solenoid and the power board as it looked a little toasty.
Replaced the fuses, cleaned and inspected all connectors, which all look pretty good. Did the ground mod to the main boards. It lights up, gets a 99 on the switch test, all solenoids fire in their test, normally. Flippers, pop bumpers work. Kickout does not and I find it odd it is not in the solenoid test. My next item to address is the outhole solenoid locking on and that seems to be operational time related, like something is heating up and energizing it. I can do three solenoid tests in a row, in which the outhole fires normally. Then It'll buzz slightly and slowly lock shut, were it stays until I power down the pin. I can immediately power it back up and it will lock up during startup. I can let it sit for 5 minutes and start it up and it'll take 30 seconds to buzz and slowly energize and stay there. Disconnect A3J4 and that coil does nothing.
Replaced the diode on the outhole solenoid and it did seem to go longer before locking open but the issue remains. Is it time for a new MPU board?

thanks

#2 4 years ago

You probably have many connectors to repin. Honestly the best approach to these system 80's if your time is worth something to you is to get the Pascal board. I have had them in a Black Hole, Pink Panther, Mars God Of War and it cleared up nearly all of the hard to track down problems. You still might have a connector or two to do, but if you are considering getting a new MPU this is by far the best way to go. Plus it adds a lot of extra features as well. A great value!

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

You probably have many connectors to repin. Honestly the best approach to these system 80's if your time is worth something to you is to get the Pascal board. I have had them in a Black Hole, Pink Panther, Mars God Of War and it cleared up nearly all of the hard to track down problems. You still might have a connector or two to do, but if you are considering getting a new MPU this is by far the best way to go. Plus it adds a lot of extra features as well. A great value!

Do you mean a "MPU080 - RD Gottlieb Sys 80 MPU board" from Big Daddy Ent for $188.99?

#4 4 years ago

The PI-80 X4 is not yet available for Volcano...

#5 4 years ago

Or is there another Pascal board?

#6 4 years ago

So, tested it this afternoon and same deal. Looked at the mpu board and there was green goo that dropped from the remote battery install done before my time. So I got a little alcohol and a small rag and cleaned it off. Some had ran into A1-J6 so I cleaned that as well. Fired her up and she worked. Balls loaded, no stuck outhole solenoid. Everything scored. Subway worked thought I was a smart mofo. Kickout not working so onto that. Found a open F12 fuse and replaced it.
Fired it up and back to the same old hot outhole solenoid and no scoring.
You just gotta love pinball...

#7 4 years ago

Could it be a ground related issue?

#8 4 years ago

the connector pins on these old gottliebs were just miserable.......i would suggest replacing the harness that goes from the cpu to the driver board......i also believe in replacing the power supply board. examine all the connectors for weak and corroded pins...

10 months later
#9 3 years ago

How are you going with this billv45 ? I also have a Volcano that I am trying to bring back to life. I'm not even as far along as you. Won't boot at all. Did you get a new MPU?

#10 3 years ago

I also have a Volcano I am restoring. Replaced the MPU and Control Board with Ni-Wumpf Boards.

Pinball is working fine for the most part,

but am having a problem with the solenoid Kicker that sends the ball to the shooter from the holding coral not working.

The Outhole Kicker is working and feeds the balls to the holding coral.

Anyone know where in the schematics the solenoid Kicker is in the manual? I don't see it identified on the playfield.(Page 31,32)

Has a 679 wire code (Blue-Purple-White) , but I don't see those digits in any combination on any schematics.

Any help in tracing it to why it's not working appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Ball Shooter Kicker Solenoid (resized).JPGBall Shooter Kicker Solenoid (resized).JPG
#11 3 years ago

By control board, do you mean solenoid driver?

#12 3 years ago

The ball release is located on pg 34 of the schematics. It is predriven by L15 (Q16) on driver board, then goes to an under playfield 2N5875 transistor. Check these transistors to make sure one isn't bad.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/volcano-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.