Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TZ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I'm working on a Gottlieb Volcano and am dealing with an F6 8A SB fuse in the cabinet bottom that keeps blowing. The game is disassembled (playfield removed, backbox taken off) which I don't believe should make a difference? With the A7-J10 plug (A6 Sound/speech board power supply) disconnected the fuse will not blow, however when connected the fuse continues to blow.

I did replace the CR3 diode on A6 board which appeared to be shorted, but it did not help. Not sure where else I should be looking. Open for suggestions.

Thanks,
Vince

2 weeks later
#2 1 year ago
Quoted from TZ:

I'm working on a Gottlieb Volcano and am dealing with an F6 8A SB fuse in the cabinet bottom that keeps blowing. The game is disassembled (playfield removed, backbox taken off) which I don't believe should make a difference? With the A7-J10 plug (A6 Sound/speech board power supply) disconnected the fuse will not blow, however when connected the fuse continues to blow. I did replace the CR3 diode on A6 board which appeared to be shorted, but it did not help.

F6 is called the "solenoid" fuse (page 12, section C).

• Fuse F6 is inline with the 25 VAC transformer output.
•  It goes into pin 13 of the A7-P5 (A7-J5) playfield connector.
•  Then it goes into the shooter-lane-aiming motor and returns on pin 14 of A7-J5 (A7-P5) connector.
•  Then straight back to the transformer.

There are two rectifier bridges across this 25 VAC;

One is a 38 VDC output that runs to several relays and solenoids via pin 1 of A7-J11 (A7-P11) connector.

•  Right Ball Gate solenoid
•  Motor relay
•  Ball Saver relay
•  3 Kicking Rubber solenoids
• 1 Kicking Target solenoid

The other is a 24 VDC output that runs to pin 1 of A7-J10 (A7-P10) connector of the S/S power supply, which you've already identified as the possible root cause.

Quoted from TZ:

Not sure where else I should be looking.

Do you have the manual/schematics? Look at pages 34, 35, 37, and 38 to see the wiring of the items I described above. Pages 37 & 38 contains the schematic for A6.

Did you look at CR1 and CR2 of the A6 S/S power supply? The rectifier bridge? Capacitor C2 and C3? Transistor Q1? Any one of those could be shorted or leaking to ground.

2 weeks later
#3 1 year ago

Thanks for your reply. After doing some more trouble shooting on the A6 S/S power supply I confirmed that the C3 capacitor was shorted (which may have had something to do with the failed diode that I replaced previously). Sourced a new cap and problem solved.

Maybe this resolution can help others in the future.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/volcano and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.