Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by calico1997
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Just curious if anyone knows the names of the male and female voice actors who did the call outs in Theatre of Magic and Tales of Arabian Nights. The male voices in particular sound familiar. The last of the Williams games used professionals instead of "a guy from down the hall" and it really makes a difference.

I can't find any references.

I bet JPOP could answer this.

#2 10 years ago

I'm curious as well.... anyone?

#3 10 years ago

I own a TOM....and have played a TOTAN

I thought the voices sounded the same.

#4 10 years ago

The female voice on TOM is Tina Fey. (Sat night Live fame). She also did female voice on MM...although not all.

#5 10 years ago

I do not believe it was Tina Fey. I asked John about this a year ago. The same female voice was used on CV also. He said, "...we [hired] a pro talent from CHicago do the voices. She did many midway games as well...."

#6 10 years ago

I heard it is Tina Fey on MM

I don't think it's her on TOM though.

#7 10 years ago

Both the male and female on TOM sound familiar from other games.

Thought the lady was also in Voltaire?

Doubt the lady is Tina Fey though.

#8 10 years ago

Found the credits for voices of TOTAN on YouTube.

#9 10 years ago

I've noticed a lot of games that have similar sounding voices. Guy in AFM vs announcer is WCS94 vs NBAFB. Is the guy in TOM also the guy in SS? I'm playing a lot of games in my head right now and finding similar sounding voices. I wish there was a list of who did what. I'll bet it would be very interesting to see how many voices were done by the same few people.

I've always found this topic interesting, but it never seems to get a big following when it's started. Hopefully others will chime in!

#10 10 years ago

Would be very interested to know as well. I have heard Tina Fey was in MM along with another of the Second City troupe. Not sure TOM sounds like her or not.

Another I'd like to throw into the pot if anyone knows is who did the female voice in ES and WW?

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballJon:

Guy in AFM vs announcer is WCS94 vs NBAFB.

That guy also did NBA Jam (among many others, like Shadow)...his name is Tim Kitzrow.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/02/16/breaking-into-the-industry-tim-kitzrow

Boom-shakalaka.

Pete

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I do not believe it was Tina Fey. I asked John about this a year ago. The same female voice was used on CV also. He said, "...we [hired] a pro talent from CHicago do the voices. She did many midway games as well...."

"Pro talent from Chicago" would describe Tina Fey at that time in her career.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

That guy also did NBA Jam (among many others, like Shadow)...his name is Tim Kitzrow.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/02/16/breaking-into-the-industry-tim-kitzrow
Boom-shakalaka.
Pete

That's a great article and really interesting! Thanks for posting it Pete!

#14 10 years ago

I was told by several different people Tina Fey is the voice on Junk Yard.

2 years later
#15 8 years ago

Hey all. I have an update to this topic, we now know who the voice actors are for ToM.

I was having a conversation with Dr. Dave Zabriskie, the person who was in charge of sound at WMS during the production of ToM. I asked him about the ToM voice actors and he knew exactly who they were.

The male voice was performed by Mike Wadswoth, a good friend of Dave's. He's an opera singer with an "incredible low resonant bass voice and an infectious laugh."

The female voice was performed by Cathy Schenkelberg, who was dating a friend of his at the time. Cathy is an accomplished film/stage actor and comedian. Her daughter, Fiona Grey, who has a growing career as a singer/songwriter.

In any case, the mystery is solved! ToM was not Tina Fey, and now we can give credit where credit is due.

-Jay

1 year later
#16 6 years ago

A belated thanks for this information. The voice actors of these games should get credit.

I'm still trying to verify the voice of Centaur, and I think also Medusa. Some of those games like 8 Ball and Fathom had synthesized voice without much emotion, but others like Centaur seem to be a real actor with some attitude in the tone of their voice. I'm pretty sure Centaur was voiced by John Doremus, a Chicago radio voice who also did Sinistar, though some people think it was Ken Nordine.

Those game voices really create a personality in the game. May favorite for sure is T2 with Arnold, using the profanity chip. Just getting him to do a pinball voice over was a feat in itself.

2 years later
#17 3 years ago

A very belated update on the voice for games like Centaur. I asked Ken Nordine Jr. about this...

: Sunday, August 9, 2020 11:05 AM

As far as I know he did not. Doremus is a good possibility.

On Aug 9, 2020, at 9:47 AM, > wrote:
----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm part of a large community that collects pinball machines. Several machines from the early 1980's included digital voice that was recorded with Chicago voice talent for Bally. (two machines in particular, called Centaur and Medusa, have really incredible voice work). Most people attribute the voice to Mr. Nordine but I'm personally thinking John Doremus, a local radio person of that time. By any chance would you know if Mr. Nordine did work for Bally games around 1980? It would clear up some confusion, but I realize knowing this would be a long shot among the thousands of projects.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/voice-actors-for-tom-and-totan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.