(Topic ID: 167144)

Poll: What do you do with Stern's Made in the USA sticker?

By Tuna_Delight

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by xsvtoys
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What do you do with the "Made in the USA" sticker on your new Stern game's playfield glass?”

• Leave it on and display it proudly! 114 votes
      68%
    • Remove it, but reattach it elsewhere on the game 6 votes
      4%
    • Remove and toss it 41 votes
      24%
    • Other (please elaborate) 7 votes
      4%

(168 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Made in USA (resized).jpg
    Minnie Pearl (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    100_6342 (resized).JPG
    20160826_191025 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Inquiring minds want to know.

I always remove and reattach mine on the inside of the rear backbox wall.

#2 7 years ago

Where's the "ignore that it exists, pride or not" option?

#3 7 years ago

Leave it on and install a sheet of invisiglass. Then when you go to sell it put the original with the sticker back on and then you can sell it to somebody for way more money than it's worth.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Where's the "ignore that it exists, pride or not" option?

So you're saying that you just don't notice it or care if it's there? I can see that as I often don't notice the stickers still on the Stern games at my favorite pinball bar.

I'm more detail oriented with my games at home though. I appreciate that Stern manufactures their games in the US and I want to keep that acknowledgement on my games - just not over the playfield where the sticker distracts from the artwork and mods I've added.

#5 7 years ago

Leave it alone. Although relocating it the back or inside would also be just fine. Would not peel it off and chuck it out.

#6 7 years ago

I stick it to the paperwork/manual in the goodie bag.

#7 7 years ago

I look at mine.

#8 7 years ago

When I first received my LOTR and took it out of tbe box it was down near the lockbar...I just pulled the glass out and turned it around putting it up near the back-box. Every Stern since has it up top near the back-box so I don't notice it...the decal remains.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I appreciate that Stern manufactures their games in the US.

........... Assembled with care by illegal aliens.

#10 7 years ago

Option 1 keep it as is, display it proudly.

#11 7 years ago

Made in the USA by Mexicans

#12 7 years ago

Stern, should etch it into the playfield glass. Would be it a bit more subtle, and would be there for the life of the game. Few things are made here these days, and I'm happy that Stern has kept it's assembly in the USA.

Despite comments above, I seriously doubt that Stern will risk hiring non-documented workers.

#13 7 years ago

technically the games are just assembled in the US. Pretty sure most of the parts are made elsewhere.

Quoted from BrianZ:

I seriously doubt that Stern will risk hiring non-documented workers.

documents are very easy to produce.

#14 7 years ago

I guess the real question is- is the sticker itself made in the USA?

#15 7 years ago

I've only ever bought 3 NIB Sterns. Monopoly didn't have one neither did TSPP. I have one on Metallica and just left it on the glass.

This is on the underside of the glass on my Tommy. Even though it's at the lockbar end, I think it's kind of neat.

20160826_191025 (resized).jpg20160826_191025 (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

Similar sticker on my DE Simpsons glass.

100_6342 (resized).JPG100_6342 (resized).JPG

#17 7 years ago

It gets removed with the glass and is replaced by a stickerless sheet of PDI.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Similar sticker on my DE Simpsons glass.

Oh man, I wish I could get the DE stickers to put on my WWFRR and TFTC

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

It gets removed with the glass and is replaced by a stickerless sheet of PDI.

I thought that stuff wasn't shipping. Lucky sob

#21 7 years ago

Haha, this guy.

#22 7 years ago

That must be the hardest way to get that decal removed.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I thought that stuff wasn't shipping. Lucky sob

I didn't say I did that recently.

#24 7 years ago

Ham fisted Taylor strikes again!

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cdoubleu1:

Ham fisted Taylor strikes again!

Mmmmm....Taylor ham.

#26 7 years ago

I myself like Stern games, don't own one yet but have my eye on a couple. As a prospective buyer, I want the sticker on the glass. For what it's worth, I believe that means, at least if you use me as an example, that keeping yhe sticker on will help retain value.

#27 7 years ago

Peel it off first thing and toss it. Proud of our American tradition still being made here, but I don't need a reminder to know that, or feel like looking at it on my game.

Some people like to leave the sticker on the brim of their hats. If you like to leave the sticker on your glass then I don't see it as any different. Just not my style.

I think it reduces the value of the machine by exactly nada. That's up there with the goodie bag still being stapled in my "do you even actually play pinball?" thinking.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Peel it off first thing and toss it. Proud of our American tradition still being made here, but I don't need a reminder to know that, or feel like looking at it on my game.
    Some people like to leave the sticker on the brim of their hats. If you like to leave the sticker on your glass then I don't see it as any different. Just not my style.
    I think it reduces the value of the machine by exactly nada. That's up there with the goodie bag still being stapled in my "do you even actually play pinball?" thinking.

I don't think it affects value that much. Instead of thinking of not having the sticker as detering a buyer, maybe more look at the sticker as an added bonus.

I once bought a brand new American Fender guitar and the shop peeled off all the USA flag stickers. It was a bummer to the OCD collector like me, but you gotta' rock on and I bought it anyway.

I'd also pay more for a scuffed play field than one that's had paint touch ups. As original as possible, I say.

#29 7 years ago

I pulled it off and put it on my toolbox.

#30 7 years ago

Woohoo! 100 votes cast and thereby qualifying this poll as "highly scientific"!

The results are a little surprising so far, but interesting nonetheless. Thanks to all for participating!

1 month later
    #31 7 years ago

With all the crap people add to there games I don't understand the need to remove the sticker.

#32 7 years ago

I'm shocked anyone would leave a sticker on the glass. Why?

Glass cleaner and razor blade....Good riddance.

Quoted from Playmatic:

I don't think it affects value that much.

People actually think this adds value? Now I'm more confused.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Believe it not, I remove price and size tags from new clothes purchases too.

Pfft. You probably kneel for the national anthem too you nazi pig!!!

#34 7 years ago

Should say assembled in USA

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I'm shocked anyone would leave a sticker on the glass. Why?
    Glass cleaner and razor blade....Good riddance.

I agree. It's a fucking sticker. Remove it. I'm a purist and as OCD as they come and still can't believe people are seriously keeping it on.

Quoted from Toasterdog:

People actually think this adds value? Now I'm more confused.

Maybe I should sell the glass from my TZ that still has the sticker on it because you rarely see it on older games and based on this thread some people actually put value on it . Plus it's a wide body so even more rare considering less of those were made in the 90's compared to standard machines. I'll start the bidding at $500.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

I agree. It's a fucking sticker. Remove it. I'm a purist and as OCD as they come and still can't believe people are seriously keeping it on.

AMEN. Stickers on new computers, first thing I do is remove them. That film on clear plastic, remove it. Dealer stickers on the rear of the car, REMOVE IT. OCDers UNITE!!!!!!

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I never gave any thought to the "Made in the USA" sticker. Like you, I dig that they're still made here, but I don't need the sticker to tell me that . Maybe it'd help if you're driving a game back into the States from Canada? . I do have a slab of Zaccharia glass (ZZZ is silkscreened on it in one of the lower corners ... came on a reimport I got years ago). If I ever get one of those, I'll fire it on a game.

The sealed-shut goodie bag as a feature is a mystery to me. Maybe it's the nerd in me that compels me to tear the bag open and pour over the manual/schematics. I suppose a jagoff could negotiate the price down if that bag is opened and screw someone out of cash. I'd laugh and withdraw the offer to sell if that happened to me . I bought my STLE with the goodie bag sealed ... the seller didn't even mention that it was unopened . I could also see a high-end restoration person including a "sealed" goodie bag as more of a sales feature ... outside of that, I can't think of any good reason to keep it sealed .

I never bought a pin NIB ... I wouldn't mind having ONE box in storage ... but that's about the extent of collecting any of these ancillary things that come with pinball machines .

Something else that I simply don't get is the obsession some people have with shooter lanes. Please don't take that as a criticism. I understand that it might help gauge wear, but I've seen posts with multiple shots of the shooter lane and virtually no photos of things that matter like ramps! . Like I said ... to each their own .

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Pfft. You probably kneel for the national anthem too you nazi pig!!!

LOL!

#39 7 years ago

While most of the game is made here [playfield and cabinet], most of all the internal parts are made in china.
    even Williams/bally coin doors have a china sticker on the back.
    It's a little misleading. Assembled in America from American and Chinese parts is more accurate.

As for the topic, if it's on the glass, I leave it there. I never notice it.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Believe it not, I remove price and size tags from new clothes purchases too.

That's crazy talk!

Minnie Pearl (resized).jpgMinnie Pearl (resized).jpg

#41 7 years ago

Take it and Photoshop it for a cheap shot joke.

Made in USA (resized).jpgMade in USA (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vital-poll-question-of-the-day-sterns-made-in-the-usa-sticker?hl=pappyfromjersey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.