(Topic ID: 328486)

Visiting Sam Harvey

By Azmodeus

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D1BEC654-9266-4534-97AD-E0D59B85C762 (resized).jpeg
    49371A12-2EDA-4E57-B14C-3213822B26D4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider azmodeus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I knew Sam Harvey just barely.

I first saw him in the movie special when lit, which helped bring me back into the pinball community when I saw it about ten years ago. That movie is the best arcade or pinball movie imo. I rewatched it before I went to Sam’s house.

It wasn’t just Sam that impressed me in the movie, but he was absolutely a part of it.

I stopped him at banning one day he was rushing out I think. I got this picture.

So, moving into the Covid era, I thought to reach out to him on the phone. Pinside facilitated this. Asking for his info and thankfully getting it.
    I talked to him several times, he forgot who I was between each call. I called back anyways. I had a stroke and three brain surgeries. I forget things too.

I heard information he was not doing well physically and one of my friends also wanted to go. It was perfect timing. We went.

I called him in advance to make sure a visit was possible.

(Interesting barbecue story on the way for another time)

I had made a list of several questions I hoped to get answered and maybe a picture or two while figuring out how he is. Because we care.

When I arrived I first realized I would be taking no picture. I did not feel it be flattering at all.

I focused on the rest and we stayed for about 3 hours.

I gave him a copy of Christmas vacation when we arrived.
    As we spoke, eventually his care arrived. He has been bed ridden for two years. I stepped outside and smoked a joint. His roommate and the owner of the house is a friend of his, and a Vietnam vet named Bill.

Bill was very interesting too, but not pinball stuff.

When I stepped back in the house my friend Paul continued talking to him. I played an 8 ball deluxe for a while.

I then sat down in the cozy chair next to him, kind of looking up to right. This is the correct angle to film. I realized. I could see all his awards on the mantle. He smiled and he smiled while answering my questions.
    He smiled like kid on Christmas as he spoke.

He talked about his favorite games and it went into eras. He spoke of one of the ss games in the other room. It was a game where you could setup the bonus shot to get 3 credits a pop when ready and hit. He hit it six times that day as a child, he said proudly and smiled ear to ear like he just did it again.

That was when I realized I would like to go back, and get that camera angle while filming him answering my questions. He will be Smiling, I’ll put my money on it.

When I left my friend Paul said, “you really cheered him up”.
    I said- we cheered him up, me and you my friend.

For a guy who is bedridden, he lit up like Charlie’s uncle In Willy wonka. I would like to do that again,
    And plan on it.

I would encourage his friends to reach out or visit if you can.
    Sam really doesn’t remember me, but I know him a little now and will continue get to know him as long as possible.

I hope to get that video soon. (Crosses fingers.)
    49371A12-2EDA-4E57-B14C-3213822B26D4 (resized).jpeg49371A12-2EDA-4E57-B14C-3213822B26D4 (resized).jpeg

#4 1 year ago

Could there be such an event that could do this in real life? I wonder.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

You stated that he was now living with a roommate, which was news to me, and that his roommate owns the house.
    Did Sam sell him his pinball house or give it to him in return for daily care or were you at another house all together?
    How is Sam's weight doing, at one time he supposedly lost about 100 lbs,
    but I fear being bedridden he may have put some back on.
    You owe us a few of Sam's (new/old) bad jokes.
    and the rest of your interview with him.

He is living with a roommate that owns the house. It would appear this is not that other house.

There was pinball piled all over neatly and most were folded. I feel like his roommate is just helping him out, but I don’t know all the details.

Sam requires care that is provided by a third source. Bill; his roommate was pretty interesting too. A Vietnam vet, not into pinball. But an interesting fellow all the way. I thanked him for his service to our country, and I meant it.

I want to go back and get some video, if at all possible. I’d like to do this in January.

I will post again.

D1BEC654-9266-4534-97AD-E0D59B85C762 (resized).jpegD1BEC654-9266-4534-97AD-E0D59B85C762 (resized).jpeg
    #10 1 year ago

I’m going to ask bill about any stories he has on Sam, as well.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider azmodeus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/visiting-sam-harvey?tu=azmodeus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.