(Topic ID: 328486)

Visiting Sam Harvey

By Azmodeus

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D1BEC654-9266-4534-97AD-E0D59B85C762 (resized).jpeg
    49371A12-2EDA-4E57-B14C-3213822B26D4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider a3quit4s.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I have known Sam since the mid 90s, and saw him fairly often at all the Super Auctions in Orange county back in the day
    when they had them about once a month and also saw him at pinball shows in California and once shared a hotel room with him
    when we went to Expo together in the 90s.
    I had been to his house many times to visit and talk pinball and food and play a few games on his Slick Chick or WMS King Pin
    that he had always set up in his bedroom.
    Though it has been a few years since I last visited, since I moved to Oregon, prior to his being bedridden.
    To get to his bedroom one had to transverse a maze of games
    (some bodies and heads stacked to the ceiling or a few set up & playable)
    going from his living room, past the jukebox and his TV & VCR and some file cabinets
    of records and Playmeter&CoinSlot magazines,
    thru the dining room and a sun room before getting to his bedroom.
    In his bedroom he had his SlickChick and KingPin next to his huge round bed (ala Austin Powers) and another row of file cabinets
    against the other wall filled with more pinball paperwork and schematics amassed in any one place other than
    maybe Steve Young's Pinball Resource warehouse.
    All his pinball flyers are in a whole other closet in huge binders along with his compilation of pinball machine serial numbers
    he has documented over the years at shows and pinball auctions.
    Again in the other bedroom were more bodies and heads again stacked to the ceiling and
    in several custom designed sturdy wood boxes was where he kept his spare backglasses each slot filled with many NOS BGs.
    There were probably almost 100 pins inside the house, but maybe only a dozen set up to play.
    Outside in his backyard there was another building that at one time was a gameroom where he had a pool table set up
    but was now using as his repair shop and housed all his spare pinball parts and mechs on metal shelves in parts boxes organized
    and labeled with the original pinball manufacturer part #s.
    In his unattached garage nearby were more games stored along with more shelves with pinball parts.
    Sadly that garage is barely standing and has tarps covering the roof to prevent the rain from getting in.
    You stated that he was now living with a roommate, which was news to me, and that his roommate owns the house.
    Did Sam sell him his pinball house or give it to him in return for daily care or were you at another house all together?
    How is Sam's weight doing, at one time he supposedly lost about 100 lbs,
    but I fear being bedridden he may have put some back on.
    You owe us a few of Sam's (new/old) bad jokes.
    and the rest of your interview with him.

I’m doing some work on my High Speed (damn upper flipper) and I didn’t realize that Steve Young’s Pinball Resource is in the same town as me. I needed some parts so I emailed them and they don’t normally do counter service but the guy on the email said to call and ask for Steve. I didn’t realize this was the same Steve until I got there - he took me back to the warehouse to get like the one EOS switch I needed and let me tell you that place is enormous and filled to the brim with every pinball part imaginable. I was dumbfounded and the only thing I could
    muster to ask was for some 2.5amp slow blows lol. So far Steve is 2/2 on some issues that I have had, dude is a certified pinball genius.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider a3quit4s.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/visiting-sam-harvey?tu=a3quit4s and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.