Visiting Montréal this Weekend, Tips or Advice?

(Topic ID: 199481)

Visiting Montréal this Weekend, Tips or Advice?

By mbaumle

10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by mbaumle
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20171115_011151 (resized).jpg
    20171111_215253 (resized).jpg
    20171113_203010 (resized).jpg
    20171114_024526 (resized).jpg
    5D56397D-52E4-4469-8220-709C8DFF123C (resized).jpeg
    E1957B5B-B252-4419-98C6-3FE8618D6E62 (resized).jpeg
    29AA7699-0853-4F8D-AE55-FE00D70CB5F6 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 months ago

Greetings friends from Canada! Myself, my fiancé, and two of my closest friends are taking a road trip up to Montréal this weekend. We've never been, and we'd like to know if anyone could share any advice as to what to look for or where to go. We're staying at an AirBNB on Rue de Bullion. We're leaving Saturday, and only really have the evening Saturday, all day Sunday, and we leave Monday. So time is limited, and we're kinda on a budget.

We're just looking for some cool stuff to do that won't break the bank. Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations, or things to do to avoid tourist traps? Another thing, how's the language barrier? I can probably fudge my way through french at an elementary school level if I HAVE to, but is there anything we should know to avoid any social gaffs?

Thanks so much!

#6 10 months ago
    Quoted from Boat:

To clarify I think America has awesome history

Ehhhh, I wouldn't say "awesome" what with all the slavery, Japanese internment camps, and other things that would never happen in a country that's truly the "land of the free." But I know what you're saying. Different topic indeed

But alas! I do appreciate your input. I'm no stranger to Canada. I've spent a lot of time in Alberta's beautiful Waterton Lakes National Park, and it's surrounding areas, and I've been to Vancouver, and got lost driving back into the States. This is the first time I've been to an area that's predominately not english speaking, and I want to be able to respect the city by not trouncing in like some no-nothing American.

Fine dining is definitely not in the budget, but some wallet friendly poutine definitely is! And I love me some smoked meats. We'll definitely check that place out.

Museums are a win, for sure. I think we were talking about the Notre-Dame Basilica was well. My buddy loves Archaeology, so I'll pass that idea over to him.

Quoted from Redketchup:

nice bar with 10 pinball playing perfectly!

Ohhh man... I promised my friends I wouldn't seek out any pinball places, but I might have to sneak in and check it out.

Thank guys for the recommendations so far!

#13 10 months ago
    Quoted from Redketchup:

you can also try this... very nice micro brewery with 36 beer on tap and snack

We'll definitely have to check out the local beer scene for sure! Hopefully time allows us to catch everything.

We were thinking of getting a ticket to one of those "hop on, hop off" busses. Is that necessary, or is this an easy city to navigate on foot? How is street parking?

#17 10 months ago

What's the tipping situation like? Is gratuity figured into the food cost and bill like they do in Europe (thus not expected), or is it still standard 20% cash on table or added on the card?

#20 10 months ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

20% seems high to me but i kight just be a cheap bastard. I usually give 15%

Haha, I worked my way through college as a server at Denny's. 15% is definitely considered standard, but I understand the plight of the server, so I try to make it 20% whenever it's reasonable.

#21 10 months ago

Thanks for the suggestions!

We did a grande tour of the city today. We went to the Biodome, explored the Olympic village and stadium, took an Uber up to Mont-Royal, walked to Notre-Dame Basillica, and ended with a trip to North Star.

North Star was amazing. The pinball machines are impeccable, and the staff was super ultra friendly. Definitely recommend it. Also, the “D. Gottlieb and Co.” sign behind the bar was the original sign that was on the factory, I was told. Super cool.

Biodome was such a cool place as well. People were nice all around, and my rather poor French skills weren’t needed.

E1957B5B-B252-4419-98C6-3FE8618D6E62 (resized).jpeg
    29AA7699-0853-4F8D-AE55-FE00D70CB5F6 (resized).jpeg
    5D56397D-52E4-4469-8220-709C8DFF123C (resized).jpeg

#23 10 months ago

Thanks! It’s a great little city. Very friendly people, immersive French, but 100% English when it’s important. It kinda reminds me of philly, as it’s a little smaller and quieter than larger cities.

I wish I had taken more photos of the inside of the bar, but I wasn’t really thinking. The white backlighting definitely goes along with the decor more than a red/orange would, but red would be classic Gottlieb. Ah well. It’s just nice to see such an icon of Pinball alive and well in what’s definitely the coolest bar in the city.

1 month later
    #35 9 months ago

One of my regrets was that I was unable to stop by Schwarts Deli. Next time. Although, in the part of NJ that I live in, we have our fair share of really fantastic Jewish Delicatessens.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    € 339.00
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    £ 25.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 9.95
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 59.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.50
    Lighting - Led
    Lermods
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside