Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by poppapin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

03d9bc41b344e4deae061aba912248f810d1abe0_(resized).jpg
    20160409_162530_(resized).jpg
    20160409_162536_(resized).jpg
    20160409_152412_(resized).jpg
    20160409_144641_(resized).jpg
    20160409_150647_(resized).jpg
    20160409_152324_(resized).jpg
    20160409_152400_(resized).jpg
    20160409_142534_(resized).jpg
    20160409_144659_(resized).jpg
    20160409_160856_(resized).jpg
    20160409_153822_(resized).jpg
    20160409_152531_(resized).jpg
    20160409_150653_(resized).jpg
    20160409_152312_(resized).jpg
    20160409_142411_(resized).jpg

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Made a pilgrimage to the SBM yesterday with Vic Camp. I hadn't been there in quite some time. The weather down there wasn't very good, but once inside, we enjoyed many classic EMs, and some very rare games as well. Most of the games played fairly well considering.
    For an off-season dreary day, the place was hopping. They must be doing very well.
    The new location in Delray Beach, Florida is set to open soon.

20160409_141407_(resized).jpg20160409_141407_(resized).jpg

20160409_142358_(resized).jpg20160409_142358_(resized).jpg

20160409_144820_(resized).jpg20160409_144820_(resized).jpg

20160409_142411_(resized).jpg20160409_142411_(resized).jpg

20160409_152312_(resized).jpg20160409_152312_(resized).jpg

20160409_150653_(resized).jpg20160409_150653_(resized).jpg

20160409_152531_(resized).jpg20160409_152531_(resized).jpg

20160409_153822_(resized).jpg20160409_153822_(resized).jpg

20160409_160856_(resized).jpg20160409_160856_(resized).jpg

20160409_144659_(resized).jpg20160409_144659_(resized).jpg

20160409_142534_(resized).jpg20160409_142534_(resized).jpg

20160409_152400_(resized).jpg20160409_152400_(resized).jpg

20160409_152324_(resized).jpg20160409_152324_(resized).jpg

20160409_150647_(resized).jpg20160409_150647_(resized).jpg

20160409_144641_(resized).jpg20160409_144641_(resized).jpg

20160409_152412_(resized).jpg20160409_152412_(resized).jpg

20160409_162536_(resized).jpg20160409_162536_(resized).jpg

20160409_162530_(resized).jpg20160409_162530_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Great pics, JR! Thanks for sharing. I will absolutely have to make a trip there someday. What amazing games. Many of which I've never seen in person.

#3 7 years ago

I was thinking the same thing, golden boy! Thanks for sharing, JR!

#4 7 years ago

Wish that was near me...........cool pics.

#5 7 years ago

Excellent pics!

#6 7 years ago

I love getting the staff's opinion on Stern machines when I go.

#7 7 years ago

The only opinion I ever want is my own.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The only opinion I ever want is my own.

Yeah, they are not big fans of Stern and they will cite specific reasons all day long.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I love getting the staff's opinion on Stern machines when I go.

Huh, come to think of it, I can't recall seeing a single early solid state or DMD Stern game in the entire place the last time I was there. That's interesting.

[edit]: Nevermind, there are a few stern games there that I had forgotten about.

#10 7 years ago

I find it hard to believe there is a pin in this world that hasn't been played by either one of you!

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Huh, come to think of it, I can't recall seeing a single early solid state or DMD Stern game in the entire place the last time I was there. That's interesting.

I think Elvis, TSPP and Sopranos are still there.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Ah, that's right. Forgot about those.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

They had a very nice early Stern SS game; "Stingray". Really like that one.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

I find it hard to believe there is a pin in this world that hasn't been played by either one of you!

My brother and I were just discussing how many Gottliebs in the metal rail era that we never played. There's only a handful. There are just a few that we have never even seen in person. EM "Solar Ride" is one of them, and there are just a couple more.

#15 7 years ago

Thanks for sharing JR , you SOB now I want a Lariat ! Love the WOW on the vari target

#16 7 years ago

It really is a cool game. I know someone who got one at Allentown many years ago. I don't know if he still has it though, and he's a tough nut to crack when he likes what he has.

#17 7 years ago

Hey JR

What did you think of the Joker Poker em play? Is it still decent enough to be fun? I had the SS version for awhile before I sold it and it was a good player.

And how about Close Encounters and Surf Side game play? - heard Surf Side was pretty good.

#18 7 years ago

Sounds like a good time pilgrimage

#19 7 years ago

The EM versions, although rare and desireable, don't play as well as the SS versions. Not that they're bad, but if you're used to the SS gameplay, the EM version is a little lacking. "Surf Side" is a really attractive game. The flippers on that particular one were a bit weak though, so the gameplay was a bit tainted. I really do like that game though. I actually did not play "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Yeah, they are not big fans of Stern and they will cite specific reasons all day long.

The manager hates Stern because of the Data East days.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The manager hates Stern because of the Data East days.

He also dislikes the Stern machines they have on the property now.

#22 7 years ago

They don't stay on top of them either.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Elvis has been removed.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

The EM versions, although rare and desireable, don't play as well as the SS versions. Not that they're bad, but if you're used to the SS gameplay, the EM version is a little lacking. "Surf Side" is a really attractive game. The flippers on that particular one were a bit weak though, so the gameplay was a bit tainted. I really do like that game though. I actually did not play "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

Thanks JR

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Elvis has been removed.

You should have said: "Elvis has left the building!"

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

They don't stay on top of them either.

He told me the replacement parts are too expensive and don't last more than a few months.

#27 7 years ago

Thanks for the pix, i'll get there one of these days... I see my old Fire Queen in your pix, glad it's part of their fantastic collection.

Don

#28 7 years ago

Love SBM! Would be fun if they put on an EM tournament.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

He told me the replacement parts are too expensive and don't last more than a few months.

Flipper coils: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=12&pg=1
    General use coils: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=104&pg=1
    Pop bumper assemblies and parts: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=71&pg=1
    Plastic Sets: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PFLD-PLASTIC?VIEW_SIZE=60&VIEW_INDEX=17&view=card&sortOrder=SortProductPrice:DEFAULT_PRICE

Being too expensive just doesn't hold up to the actual prices.

I really hope I don't come across as badmouthing place, because I love going there. When you ask the manager why he hates Stern, he talks about their Data East days. I don't think you can compare today's Sterns with their Data East/Sega days. I have a Batman Forever. When you look at the parts being used in that machine compared to any of my new Stern machines, it is completely night and day.

Look at Modern Pinball, the Stern games are holding up ok (they were much better when Eddie was there).

At Silverball, they make it sound like the Bally-Williams machines never break down. That is just not the case.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

The new location in Delray Beach, Florida is set to open soon.

Is the Florida location in addition to Jersey, or are they closing shop and moving to Florida?

#31 7 years ago

I was there a few weeks ago and played that Lariat game. I really enjoyed it. I like games with vari-targets and wish more used them, even today. I liked Stingray a lot too! They used to have a Fathom and 4 Million B.C. I couldn't find though. Must have sold them.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Is the Florida location in addition to Jersey, or are they closing shop and moving to Florida?

It's an additional location.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from keithrh76:

Must have sold them.

Could they have been moved to Florida?

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Could they have been moved to Florida?

Games are rotated once in a while. They have far more in storage than they can fit on the floor of the museum. A good chunk of the games in storage were going to be placed at the Florida location.

#35 7 years ago

Was there a couple weeks ago and asked about BBB, and they told me it was moved to Florida.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Was there a couple weeks ago and asked about BBB, and they told me it was moved to Florida.

Aw, that stinks. I was hoping to get another crack at it this summer.

#37 7 years ago

I had a great day Saturday at the SBM. The staff there (Ron, Dan, Tony and the rest of the gang) do an outstanding job with keeping the SBM operating at a quality standard and all have a certain passion about pinball which they wear on their sleeve.

While there on Saturday, i played just the EM's out of the 100+ pinball machines on site and really gave them each a good workout. The Joker Poker and Evil Knievel were in collector quality condition and played extremely fast(might be high tapped)and enjoyed the game play immensely. They have a nicely restored Top Card that looked and played well too, along with many other replay and add a ball wedgeheads that are also in good condition.

Golden Arrow and many others new games have been added to line up since I was there in Sept 2015. It could be possible that many of the games that were there in Sept 2015 that I played, might have been brought down to the Del Ray SBM to jump start their grand opening or are just part of the rotation.

I got a chance to just to talk with some of the people visiting the SBM and was interested in their thoughts about the museum and pinball in general, which I always enjoy hearing. It was also nice to bump into someone from west Virginia that I met at BINGO ROW while attending the York Show in 2015.

The surroundings at the SBM bring me back to my childhood when our family would vacation at the Jersey shore. The boardwalk, ocean waters, aromas of foods, salt air and most important pinball give me a flash back for when I roamed the Jersey shores arcades back in the 1960's and 70's.

As the rainy day was winding down, while I was sitting on the stool at the bar overlooking the stormy ocean waters in motion, I felt a calmness within myself and a feeling of my younger days growing up which were filled with so many great memories. I have to say that the SBM is a special place for me in this fast pace world we live in today. Thank you to all who are part of the SBM.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Aw, that stinks. I was hoping to get another crack at it this summer.

That machine was starting to show some wear from the heavy use. I played it right before they sent it down. You're not missing anything.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

You're not missing anything.

Unless you want to play BBB in the wild!!

#40 7 years ago

One of my favorite things about SBM is the write ups they have on top of the machines. Makes everything mean just a little bit more. I can't wait to go back sometime soon. Hopefully this summer or in the fall.

#41 7 years ago

Those games and what nice condition they are look fantastic!

Why are they moving to Delray Beach, FL? Anyone know?

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

That machine was starting to show some wear from the heavy use. I played it right before they sent it down. You're not missing anything.

I did manage to play it once, but it wasn't working right. One of the flippers wasn't in the correct position. Still had fun, though.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Those games and what nice condition they are look fantastic!
    Why are they moving to Delray Beach, FL? Anyone know?

They are opening another SBM there. The best thing about it for me is... I have a condo just 15 minutes away from Del Ray.
    I heard the new SBM will have a bar, live bands on the weekends and tournaments. There has been some talk about having a pre- opening this month.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I did manage to play it once, but it wasn't working right. One of the flippers wasn't in the correct position. Still had fun, though.

Parts on the playfield were breaking.

I had suggested that it be in a roped off area for VIP members only.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

I had a great day Saturday at the SBM. The staff there (Ron, Dan, Tony and the rest of the gang) do a outstanding job with keeping the SBM operating at a quality standard and all have a certain passion about pinball which they wear on their sleeve.
    While there on Saturday, i played just the EM's out of the 100+ pinball machines on site and really gave them each a good workout. The Joker Poker and Evil Knievel were in collector quality condition and played extremely fast(might be high tapped)and enjoyed the game play immensely. They have a nicely restored Top Card that looked and played well too, along with many other replay and add a ball wedgeheads that are also in good condition.
    Golden Arrow and many others new games have been added to line up since I was there in Sept 2015. It could be possible that many of the games that were there in Sept 2015 that I played, might have been brought down to the Del Ray SBM to jump start their grand opening or are just part of the rotation.
    I got a chance to just to talk with some of the people visiting the SBM and was interested in their thoughts about the museum and pinball in general, which I always enjoy hearing. It was also nice to bump into someone from west Virginia that I met at BINGO ROW while attending the York Show in 2015.
    The surroundings at the SBM bring me back to my childhood when our family would vacation at the Jersey shore. The boardwalk, ocean waters, aromas of foods, salt air and most important pinball give me a flash back for when I roamed the Jersey shores arcades back in the 1960's and 70's.
    As the rainy day was winding down, while I was sitting on the stool at the bar overlooking the stormy ocean waters in motion, I felt a calmness within myself and a feeling of my younger days growing up which were filled with so many great memories. I have to say that the SBM is a special place for me in this fast pace world we live in today. Thank you to all who are part of the SBM.

Your place could be called Silver Ball Museum 2!

Love SBM...great way to spend an afternoon.

#46 7 years ago

LOve the museum too..I asked the guy there who maintains the machines and he says the games are all high tapped..I wish they

would also raise the rear legs on some of the pins..EK seemed to be floaty...

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

You should have said: "Elvis has left the building!"

Well, *I* thought it was funny anyway.

No accounting for the rest of these boys.

#48 7 years ago

When can I expect my collection to be documented in pictures by JR?

(Seriously though, you guys should stop by sometime once everything is up and running!)

Love the museum. Been there a few times, amazing place to go. Grateful to have it only a car ride away.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

I had a great day Saturday at the SBM. The staff there (Ron, Dan, Tony and the rest of the gang) do an outstanding job with keeping the SBM operating at a quality standard and all have a certain passion about pinball which they wear on their sleeve.

A terrific post Vic expressed in wonderful life experience terms.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

When can I expect my collection to be documented in pictures by JR?
    (Seriously though, you guys should stop by sometime once everything is up and running!)
    Love the museum. Been there a few times, amazing place to go. Grateful to have it only a car ride away.

Just let us know when your ready and we will be there.....

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/visited-the-silverball-museum-yesterday and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.