Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by teekee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dmd.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Hi, I'm selling a very slightly used orange plasma DMD. I installed it new in my Williams STTNG only 3 months ago and today I replaced it with a Color DMD. Its in my home so I would guess there's approximately 10 hours of usage on it, total. It is in Perfect condition. Guaranteed not DOA. Paid $249 for it 3 months ago. Price is $169.00 plus $20 shipping via UPS.

This is the exact part: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/DMD32

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Please do not use all caps on header for your threads.

#2 11 years ago

I don't want to thread-crap, but I just picked one up from MAD last week for $149 and I think he dinged me $6 for shipping on it.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

I don't want to thread-crap, but I just picked one up from MAD last week for $149 and I think he dinged me $6 for shipping on it.

Word. They are $149.00 + $6.00 shipping brand new. You're probably going to have to drop that price if you want it to sell...just sayin'....

#4 11 years ago

I'd buy a used one for more than order from Mad any day.

#5 11 years ago

So.....why is Marco charging $249 for a display Pinball life charges $149 for? Is their a difference between the them? Quality, visual, or otherwise?

#6 11 years ago

Nope, they are both Vishays. The only thing I can think of is the recent supply hiatus, these won't be produced again for a few months. I don't see how PBL can sell them at a reasonable price, maybe they have stocked up now. PBL has been on and off with their availability of these lately.

#7 11 years ago

I don't get it either. He is selling them for less than wholesale. I don't understand how he can do that. Marco sells them for $249 and I forget who the other one is but they are $229. Could Mad be getting them from China? Any other ideas.

#8 11 years ago

Very interesting...

#9 11 years ago

I've gotten one from PBL and it was a Vishay and worked great. I'm not sure...

#10 11 years ago

I got mine from MAD two weeks ago, it was a Vishay as well.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

So.....why is Marco charging $249 for a display Pinball life charges $149 for? Is their a difference between the them? Quality, visual, or otherwise?

Cause Marco charges out the ass for everything, which is why they are my last resort when it comes to buying parts. I going the following order when it comes to purchasing parts:

Pinball Life
    Bay Area / Planetary Pinball
    Mad Amusements
    Anyone else I can think of who sells parts
    Marco

In Marco's defense they do have a very nice selection and some very hard to find parts, however for the common parts you can buy at other vendors they will likely cost more at Marco.

#12 11 years ago

Damn that is cheap. I'll keep it in that case. When MAD runs out of them, the market may rise right back up. They probably bought a grip of them. I doubt that price point will last. Its a good spare anyway or who knows I'll probably need it for the next pin.

#13 11 years ago

Based on what I have heard, it is a matter of time before these are discontinued from suppliers. Hence the recent up tick in prices. Its signaling the beginning of the end. I heard that a short while back and bought a back up display just for that reason. With the color DMD on the way, two backups now.

#14 11 years ago

According to Vishay (I personally spoke to their sales department) there are no plans to discontinue this item. They are currently out of them and have a 12-14 week lead time. Eventually they will bite the dust though. It's an outdated technology and they can't be sold in Europe cause they are not RoHS compliant.

#15 11 years ago

I just ordered a display from Mad last week, $139. Was also wondering if it was some other manufacturer and of lesser quality, good to hear I'll be getting a Vishay.

#16 11 years ago

Does anyone know what the reason was for the supply hiccup?

#17 11 years ago

They moved their manufacturing facility and were down for almost a month.

#18 11 years ago

Now that they're in Mexico maybe that will eliminate some overseas charges, not that their prices were unreasonable to begin with.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from lrosent345:

They moved their manufacturing facility and were down for almost a month.

That, or they just don't want to make them anymore!

#22 11 years ago

Which is also true, just clarifying.

#23 11 years ago

The fact that these prices may go up in the future, they can't be sold in Europe, and that they may be discontinued in the near future are all GREAT reasons why ColorDMD needs to make a non-game specific, single-color-selectable-only display for the masses at a lower price, like $200. They'd come in at a great price point and offer a premium service in being able to use more than just the standard orange color on your pin. You can color match it or do whatever you want.

To me, this is a no brainer. I really have no idea why they don't come out with this at that price. It requires no extra time to color animations and no extra coding for a particular title. It's a super simple plug and play. The only reasons I see them not doing this is to preserve product exclusivity and keep their premium price point. If those aren't their concerns, they're missing out on a massive amount of sales by not offering this.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

GREAT reasons why ColorDMD needs to make a non-game specific, single-color-selectable-only display for the masses at a lower price, like $200.

Completely. I would have ordered one this weekend if they had a white one.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

...ColorDMD needs to make a non-game specific, single-color-selectable-only display for the masses at a lower price, like $200.

Homepin already has them beat, we will start seeing white LED DMDs with color filters late this year and I'm pretty excited. I would rather have a true LED DMD than an LCD because of contrast, brightness, and color depth. And these panels are single modules so that means no gridlines. Individual LEDs will be easily replaceable with a bit of soldering. I'm surprised this news hasn't gotten more attention. Since we need displays (any displays!) for our outgassing route games and plasmas are not ideal at the moment I'm not concerned about it being just a single color. A modern plain old DMD replacement that's affordable and looks as good as original plasmas is years overdue.

http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/showthread.php/56674-STOP-PRESS-New-Homepin-LED-DMD-in-early-development

dmd.jpgdmd.jpg

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I would rather have a true LED DMD than an LCD because of contrast, brightness, and color depth

Agree 100%!

Any idea on the price point?

#27 11 years ago

He's aiming for the current price point at the moment (around $249) but sub-$200 prices should be possible. If he starts an Indiegogo funding project and runs off 5,000 units I can see that happening.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from lrosent345:

According to Vishay (I personally spoke to their sales department) there are no plans to discontinue this item. They are currently out of them and have a 12-14 week lead time. Eventually they will bite the dust though. It's an outdated technology and they can't be sold in Europe cause they are not RoHS compliant.

There is a Vishay company about 1 mile from my house here in Malvern PA.

Are they the same co.?

RM

#29 11 years ago

@ sub $200 I would get one for all of my (non-LED DMD) machines if quality was comparable to plasma. That is, assuming they are white with changeable color filters.

#30 11 years ago

They will be white with filters.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

They will be white with filters.

#32 11 years ago

I mentioned it a few posts up, lol.

#33 11 years ago

That sounds quite doable, mainly because there won't be any gridlines. I would also assume it'd be very low voltage for power, lower than a ColorDMD's even. I just hope the LED's won't be too bright, though. Glare and reflection of the glass is bad enough already.....

Sounds promising!

#34 11 years ago

He didn't mention any specifics but I assume the brightness will be adjustable. Anyway we need to stop derailing this thread, continue discussion here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-pin-please-make-large-192x64-dmds

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

He didn't mention any specifics but I assume the brightness will be adjustable. Anyway we need to stop derailing this thread, continue discussion here:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-pin-please-make-large-192x64-dmds

its OK my thread was already trashed to death.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from charliex:

its OK my thread was already trashed to death.

WELCOME TO PINSIDE, WHERE ALL YOUR RGP AGGRAVATIONS DISAPPEAR!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vishay-dmd-dot-matrix-128-x-32-plasma-display-for-sale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.