Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 172 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nick-burns.jpg
    iphone-in-megahuge-hands.jpg
    ruler_necklace5_1024x1024.jpg
    image-291.jpg
    image-683.jpg
    nerdfight.jpg
    th-733.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kirkgun.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#117 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

well, that's entirely not true, particularly if your browser or OS are out of date. in general though, yeah, 95% of viruses are because someone wasn't paying attention and clicked "ok" on some dialog they shouldn't have.

I run linux. I click the "ok" on the dialog boxes all the time, for amusement

AND I LAUGH AT obvious and diseased .exe that gets downloaded to my computer (and is incapable of doing anything but sit there as I laugh at it).

BWAAA HAAA HAAAAA

#118 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sure, if you try hard enough you can dig up something that needs Java, LOL.
    But, 99% of users do not need Java, except to get viruses installed on their system.
    I've not had Java installed in over 4 years and every website works just fine.
    NONE of the employee issued computers at my place of employment are allowed to have Java installed and the web obviously continues to work.
    Uninstall Java NOW!

It's true that most websites do not use Java. But there is unfortunately a still significant amount that do. And it is really unfortunate how big and important some of sites, that still use it, are to many people. We are talking about big players too. The places that employ heavy IT talent have long abandoned it (google, facebook, amazon, etc). But many, many government sites around the world still require it. Many large banks still require it.

(It is a testament to large organizations with poor IT talent)

I dont' know if it has happened yet, or when it will, but when Google updates the Windows version of Chrome and permanently disables Netscape plugin API (and therefore permanently disables Java) people are going to throw fits because they can't do their stuff on government pages, and such, around the world. I said above that I use Linux and my version of Chrome disabled the plugins back early this year. Even the Linux crowd was pissy about it (and we are supposedly the nerdy computer nerds). I still keep Firefox on my computers for that reason, I do occasionally need to do something on some terribly out-of-date government or banking site.

#138 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

I like you lol.
    <-- kernel maintainer RH.

What part of the kernel do you work on?

I used stack overflow for answering quesntions regularly. It's useful. I guess I don't hate it, but there are certainly lots of folks on there that I find fairly unbearable (like pretty much any site where large numbers of people are posting angry/smarmy/argumentative/disparaging/insulting things).

#144 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Drivers mostly. NIC + Firmware payload for bnx/bnx2x/broadcom.
    You?

If I offered up a patch, Linus would tell me to get my crappy-ass code the hell out of there (which would be entirely justified). I'm a code noob. I'll stick to my little bash scripts and home-made android apps for personal use and such.

#146 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

LOL did he really say that? I'm not that surprised though. What channel did you go through? kernel.org direct or through a distro?

No, I said "If I offered".... lol. I haven't ever tried to contribute to the kernel. I have compiled a few custom kernels, that's as far as I get with messing with the kernel.

#159 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Oh man don't start naming off Linux modules... I had to go through that crap in college just to get a non-programming occupation in IT.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I'm so confused. whatis linux

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kirkgun.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virus-on-pinside?tu=kirkgun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.