Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 172 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nick-burns.jpg
    iphone-in-megahuge-hands.jpg
    ruler_necklace5_1024x1024.jpg
    image-291.jpg
    image-683.jpg
    nerdfight.jpg
    th-733.jpeg
    There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 9 years ago

Was reading all the great posts and pictures on "Robins Gone" Let's test the moderators, and now I have a severe case of Pop-ups....Be advised...

#2 9 years ago

Not possible it came from Pinside. One has nothing to do with the other.

#3 9 years ago

I figure it's from clicking on one of the posted videos or photos...

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from Modman:

I need to start spreading this rumor:

"Oh yeah, stay out of that 'Testing the Moderator' thread! It'll ruin your computer!!"

Pete

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Modman:

You can't get a virus from a video OR a photo. Unless you click on a link embedded in a video on youtube which takes you to a site that has malware AND you click "Install" or something similar.

Contrary to popular belief you can NOT get a virus just by visiting a website. Ever. The user needs to accept/install something when prompted. Malware creators make those prompts look common or innocuous but nevertheless they require user intervention.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

You can't get a virus from a video OR a photo. Unless you click on a link embedded in a video on youtube which takes you to a site that has malware AND you click "Install" or something similar.
    Contrary to popular belief you can NOT get a virus just by visiting a website. Ever.

well, that's entirely not true, particularly if your browser or OS are out of date. in general though, yeah, 95% of viruses are because someone wasn't paying attention and clicked "ok" on some dialog they shouldn't have.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Contrary to popular belief you can NOT get a virus just by visiting a website. Ever. The user needs to accept/install something when prompted. Malware creators make those prompts look common or innocuous but nevertheless they require user intervention.

Yeah I'm always annoyed when I fix someone's computer (read: Mom's computer ) and I ask 'Ok what did you click on or do?'

Answer: "Nothing"

*sigh* you did something

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

I need to start spreading this rumor:
    "Oh yeah, stay out of that 'Testing the Moderator' thread! It'll ruin your computer!!"
    Pete

I know that I had to wash my eyes once from it. My computer's fine though.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

well, that's entirely not true, particularly if your browser or OS are out of date. in general though, yeah, 95% of viruses are because someone wasn't paying attention and clicked "ok" on some dialog they shouldn't have.

Or if the website you're visiting has been compromised then you can be subject to a "drive-by" with nothing required from the user other than visiting the page.

viperrwk

#10 9 years ago

Anyone recommend running anything besides already paid for and installed Norton protection? I get Firefox popups quite a bit on my Asus laptop. thanks, ant

#11 9 years ago

I would download Adblock Plus (free extension / add-on within Firefox), download and run MalwareBytes (free trial), disable popups under browser options, and stick with Norton unless your computer is running slowly. Norton eats up a lot of resources. Gobble.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

The only browser that ever allowed that was with IE6 and the default of accepting Active X controls. Even that was patched

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

You are very, very wrong. Web-based viruses that silently exploit flaws in browsers/plugins are extremely common. Users do NOT need to 'click something' to get infected.

Please, stick to powdercoating, as you obviously have no clue regarding malware propagation.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from viperrwk:

Or if the website you're visiting has been compromised then you can be subject to a "drive-by" with nothing required from the user other than visiting the page.
    viperrwk

no, not generally, unless your browser is vulnerable (out of date).

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Anyone recommend running anything besides already paid for and installed Norton protection? I get Firefox popups quite a bit on my Asus laptop. thanks, ant

Norton is a scam. what it's best at is slowing your computer down.

keep your browser and OS up to date and don't click "ok" on anything without reading it first and you'll be fine. if you want more protection than that, I highly recommend MalwareBytes.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

no, not generally, unless your browser is vulnerable (out of date).

Your browser is always vulnerable. There may be some rare times when it's not, but really, treat it as such. The more stuff you add to it (acrobat, etc), the more vulnerable it becomes.

Google a bit on zero-day exploits... also actually read some of the KB advisories Microsoft puts out with all their patches. You'd be surprised how many describe situations where a system can be compromised by remote code w/o any user intervention. Noscript is a great plugin to help combat a lot of that malware...

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Please, stick to powdercoating, as you obviously have no clue regarding malware propagation.

You are right about browser exploits, but this comment wasn't necessary. Pinchroma is a talented computer scientist.

#18 9 years ago

Sorry Wolf (and Pinchroma), I just hate seeing very bad advice being put out by people who should know better.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Your browser is always vulnerable. There may be some rare times when it's not, but really, treat it as such. The more stuff you add to it (acrobat, etc), the more vulnerable it becomes.
    Google a bit on zero-day exploits... also actually read some of the KB advisories Microsoft puts out with all their patches. You'd be surprised how many describe situations where a system can be compromised by remote code w/o any user intervention. Noscript is a great plugin to help combat a lot of that malware...

I wouldn't be surprised because patching vulnerabilities is literally my job. spent the last couple weeks developing mitigation strategies for Shellshock. granted, most of the systems I'm in charge of are Solaris, but there are Windows clients too. I stand by what I said - successful attacks without any user action are extremely rare, and the vast majority of these only work on old, unpatched systems. new vulnerabilities come out daily (shellshock, heartbleed, perfect examples, even though those weren't viruses), and Mozilla / MS / Oracle etc. are constantly pushing security updates.

If you are in charge of a critical DoD system for example, sure, take every possible precaution, but ALL security is about finding the sweet spot between security and usability. And the truth is that from the end user's perspective, Norton is a waste of time and money. it costs money, and is a constant drag on resources, only to catch virtually nothing that wouldn't be caught more gracefully by keeping your crap patched and running MalwareBytes.

the only situation in which I would recommend Norton is if you have a grandparent who can't stop clicking on popups.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

You are very, very wrong. Web-based viruses that silently exploit flaws in browsers/plugins are extremely common. Users do NOT need to 'click something' to get infected.

LOLOLOLOL As if you think Powdercoating is what I do for a living? . Exploits such as drive by downloads make use of various browser based exploits for dropping files in places such as tmp download directories and your browsers cache directory however they would need to perform a remote code execution in CONJUNCTION with the drive by to get the malware to proliferate and for that you need some type of acknowledgement. Both drive by's and RCE's are patched within 24-48 hrs of a CVE generation and rarely if ever do they exist in parallel.

Viruses and malware are proliferated via web pages from stupid users. Now once one has made it's way onto a network there are a whole host of mechanisms for it to proliferate such as my personal favorite a dumb sysadm with domain admin rights on his user account. That's always great one.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

II stand by what I said - successful attacks without any user action are extremely rare, and the vast majority of these only work on old, unpatched systems. new vulnerabilities come out daily (shellshock, heartbleed, perfect examples, even though those weren't viruses), and Mozilla / MS / Oracle etc. are constantly pushing security updates.

^^^ This.. Successful attacks without any user action are not only extremely rare they are extremely small in scale and VERY targeted.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Wrong. There is a lot of malware that can infect a computer through known exploits. Usually it's not the website that serves up the malware, but an embedded advertising link. You just have to visit a website and if your system is vulnerable, poof you are infected. There's also the standard type that try to trick you into installing it, but those are easier to avoid.

Rob

#23 9 years ago

You are safest if you stay away from Internet Explorer and MS Windows entirely. Most other operating systems (OSX, Linux, ChromeOS, etc) have much better security controls in place to avoid such issues. It is most common that your browser gets hijacked by websites that claim to "make your computer faster" "optimize the internet" "scan for viruses now?" "remove malware".. once you agree, they actually install viruses, trojan horses, and malware. It's best to pick a product you know and control (I use AVG Free) and install absolutely nothing else that claims to make your computer better. I can't tell you how many frustrating hours I've spent cleaning up other people's windows boxes and browsers from the after-effects.

#24 9 years ago

Care to elaborate? I'd love to see this one

P.S. If anyone wants to go toe to toe with me on this topic let's see your CVE's and Reports as well as exploits you have personally written.

I'll be GLAD to provide mine

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

You are safest if you stay away from Internet Explorer and MS Windows entirely. Most other operating systems (OSX, Linux, ChromeOS, etc) have much better security controls in place to avoid such issues.

true, but less true than it used to be. heartbleed and shellshock are two recent vulnerabilities that affected Unix-derivative systems (including Mac).

Quoted from Baiter:

It is most common that your browser gets hijacked by websites that claim to "make your computer faster" "optimize the internet" "scan for viruses now?" "remove malware".. once you agree, they actually install viruses, trojan horses, and malware. It's best to pick a product you know and control (I use AVG Free) and install absolutely nothing else that claims to make your computer better. I can't tell you how many frustrating hours I've spent cleaning up other people's windows boxes and browsers from the after-effects.

most commonly, they target the least computer-savvy among us with popups that try to look like Windows dialog boxes. it's a bummer because these people are already intimidated by technology, and then their computer is actively trying to trick them into looking dumb.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Care to elaborate? I'd love to see this one
    P.S. If anyone wants to go toe to toe with me on this topic let's see your CVE's and Reports as well as exploits you have personally written.
    I'll be GLAD to provide mine

I support a 1000 Server, 20,000 user government domain. I have over 25 years experience in IT as well. I don't need to go toe to toe with anyone. If you think malware cannot infect an unprotected system by just visiting a website then you are naïve. Its usually not the website, but the embedded ads that cause the issues.

Rob

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

true, but less true than it used to be. heartbleed and shellshock are two recent vulnerabilities that affected Unix-derivative systems (including Mac).

most commonly, they target the least computer-savvy among us with popups that try to look like Windows dialog boxes. it's a bummer because these people are already intimidated by technology, and then their computer is actively trying to trick them into looking dumb.

Heartbleed and Shellshock are interesting. Both easily preventable with a little code QA and it's amazing how long they actually existed before they were found.

It was disheartening to hear how easily bash was exploited with just a few environment variables. Luckily it didn't include a privileged escalation exec (granted someone isn't dumb enough to have log in directly as root remotely enabled in ssh or have configured passwordless sudo )

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

I support a 1000 Server, 20,000 user government domain. I have over 25 years experience in IT as well. I don't need to go toe to toe with anyone. If you think malware cannot infect an unprotected system by just visiting a website then you are naïve.
    Rob

Wow 1000 Servers. That's Huge...

I designed an architecture with 115,000 servers with 900,000 users. I also discovered a ton of exploits that you spend time patching.

And don't take this the wrong way but there is a reason governments call in independent security folks on a regular basis.

Please find me a CVE that dictates malware installation without user intervention? If you do i'll concede. You won't but i'll play.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Wow 1000 Servers. That's Huge...
    I designed an architecture with 115,000 servers with 900,000 users. I also discovered a ton of exploits that you spend time patching.
    And don't take this the wrong way but there is a reason governments call in independent security folks on a regular basis.

You sound special then, good for you! But since you need to make this a pissing match, I'll leave you alone with your ego and exploits.... Have a nice day.

Rob

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

It was disheartening to hear how easily bash was exploited with just a few environment variables.

there will be more to come. I think it's the tip of the iceberg.

Luckily it didn't include a privileged escalation exec (granted someone isn't dumb enough to have log in directly as root remotely enabled in ssh or have configured passwordless sudo )

yeah, exactly. systems that are already left running with the doors unlocked and keys in the ignition are in trouble! panic! the threat was overblown in the media, but it's still amazing how many years (decades?) that little bug has been around before people noticed.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

You sound special then, good for you! But since you need to make this a pissing match, I'll leave you alone with your ego and exploits.... Have a nice day.
    Rob

I'm giving you the opportunity to prove me wrong. You said I was incorrect. It's easily verifiable that I am. Please go ahead and do so. It's all public info? Post the CVE to the malware you were talking about that doesn't require any user interaction? I'll gladly concede if you find one that isn't 10 years old.

#32 9 years ago

Pez there will always been more to come. Heartbleed was a valid concern given what data was exposed. Shellshock is just an annoyance on a properly secured system.

#33 9 years ago

I got a virus...but I'm pretty sure it came from a baywatch machine I recently played...

#34 9 years ago

As a fellow IT nerd, it is fun watching half of you IT nerds spell Potato while the other half spells Potatoe...... Ignoring all the other credentials and talk about our "support size", you guys crack me up. Lets just go ahead and call this one what it is- PEBKAC.

Oh and until about 6 months or so ago..... Java was a four letter word on my network.

Can we go back to bashing JPOP or LEDs now?

#35 9 years ago

Maybe it is the ebola virus? Remebre, before the days of the internet ebola was just the bola virus.

#36 9 years ago

I think I got a virus reading this thread because my head is pounding right now.......

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I got a virus...but I'm pretty sure it came from a Baywatch machine I recently played...

HAHAHA

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

I support a 1000 Server, 20,000 user government domain. I have over 25 years experience in IT as well. I don't need to go toe to toe with anyone. If you think malware cannot infect an unprotected system by just visiting a website then you are naïve. Its usually not the website, but the embedded ads that cause the issues.
    Rob

Rob, pinchroma has gone back to his arrogant, i can do no wrong mode. Don't bother. His comment that most patches are released within 48 hours of a confirmed exploit alone is laughable.

To the rest of pinside, trust those of us who have dealt with this stuff for decades. Alex is wrong; most exploits these days are silent infections using exploits in various active applications.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Rob, pinchroma has gone back to his arrogant, i can do no wrong mode. Don't bother. His comment that most patches are released within 48 hours of a confirmed exploit alone is laughable.
    To the rest of pinside, trust those of us who have dealt with this stuff for decades. Alex is wrong; most exploits these days are silent infections using exploits in various active applications.

Incorrect. Very Very incorrect. I didn't say patches are released in 48 hours. I said patches are released within 24/48hrs of a CVE generation if you know what that is? Again I'm giving you guys an opportunity to prove me wrong. The data is right there publicly. Find it and prove me wrong. You can talk all you want as I actually write a few CVE's weekly. I'm asking you to prove me wrong and all you are doing is telling me i'm incorrect with nothing to substantiate your claims.

#41 9 years ago

We're not diuscussing CVEs or patch timing. We're talking whether it's possible to get infected by malware without any user intervention.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

Contrary to popular belief you can NOT get a virus just by visiting a website. Ever. The user needs to accept/install something when prompted. Malware creators make those prompts look common or innocuous but nevertheless they require user intervention

This above is specifically where you are not only completely wrong, but you are putting others at risk with your bad advice. Please, stop!

#42 9 years ago

Thanks you proved my point. None of those are browser based. They are Java based which you as a user have to INHERENTLY provide run access to UNLESS you set your java parameters to the lowest security settings.

And a Drive by as you listed it is also perfect:

"Any download that happens without a person's knowledge, often a computer virus, spyware, malware, or crimeware.[1]" Downloads happen all the time. But are N O T E X E C U T E D!

It all goes back to stupid users. Plain and simple.

#43 9 years ago

All I know is I've been an online computer user since the old BBS days and was around for the infancy of the world wide web. I've never been a big user of antivirus software or anti-malware until after I've been infected and need to remove or scan for an issue. I find the burden and cost of such software far outweighs its effectiveness.

So with that said, I can state with 100% certainty that every single piece of malware and/or virus I've acquired or contracted over the last 20+ years was due to a direct action from myself. Certainly not a statistical sample but it's something.

#44 9 years ago

Keep reading..

"A drive-by install (or installation) is a similar event. It refers to installation rather than download (though sometimes the two terms are used interchangeably)."

Only some exploits are java, most use acrobat, some use flaws in the OS itself. Most show no user prompts whatsoever.

Alex, I don't know what is wrong with you, but your arrogance will be your downfall.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

All I know is I've been an online computer user since the old BBS days and was around for the infancy of the world wide web. I've never been a big user of antivirus software or anti-malware until after I've been infected and need to remove or scan for an issue. I find the burden and cost of such software far outweighs its effectiveness.
    So with that said, I can state with 100% certainty that every single piece of malware and/or virus I've acquired or contracted over the last 20+ years was due to a direct action from myself. Certainly not a statistical sample but it's something.

Because that's how they predominantly work I don't even run any malware detection. Never have and never will. Yet I never get infected regardless of the absurd amount of risky security related sites i have to visit. Ones designed to do exactly what we are arguing about.

Simple rules of thumb,

Don't click install / yes on anything prompted in a browser.
    Set your java to prompt for execution.

Problem solved.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

It all goes back to stupid users. Plain and simple

You definitely sound like a guy that doesn't support a network of users. There is a lot of bad programming done on many apps that users are forced to use as part of their daily environment. They aren't stupid users by any means, they are just forced to use software that was written poorly (including text that specifically states- "Yes/install").

While it is all about user end training, striking a balance between security and functionality will always be the greatest challenge on any network. Finding that sweetspot is the key to making any network operate smoothly.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Keep reading..
    "A drive-by install (or installation) is a similar event. It refers to installation rather than download (though sometimes the two terms are used interchangeably)."
    Only some exploits are java, most use acrobat, some use flaws in the OS itself. Most show no user prompts whatsoever.
    Alex, I don't know what is wrong with you, but your arrogance will be your downfall.

You are mistaking Arrogance for Experience. This is what I do all day every day. I just don't like it when those who don't have explicit knowledge have to source wikipedia as a reference guide.

There are exploits. Plenty of them. (Over 60,000 known at this time). A large amount at the OS level however are mitigated by the fact we are all sitting behind NAT's now-a-days and none of our machines are there to be slammed on. It takes user interaction for anything not public facing to be exploited. Social Engineering plays a role in that as well.

Simple fact is, a machine you can't get to, you can't exploit. It always takes a user. Plain and simple.

#48 9 years ago

Man whomever thought a a thread aboot PC Security could be so boring

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Anyone recommend running anything besides already paid for and installed Norton protection?

Uninstall Java.

Your computer instantly becomes 20x safer, runs faster, and 99% of people will never know it's gone.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

You definitely sound like a guy that doesn't support a network of users. There is a lot of bad programming done on many apps that users are forced to use as part of their daily environment. They aren't stupid users by any means, they are just forced to use software that was written poorly (including text that specifically states- "Yes/install").
    While it is all about user end training, striking a balance between security and functionality will always be the greatest challenge on any network. Finding that sweetspot is the key to making any network operate smoothly.

Users in the support perspective should never have the access to install anything on their desktops. A properly maintained environment is done centrally with minimal access allowed at the desktop level. They shouldn't be in the habit of clicking yes/install on anything. They should never see that prompt and if they do it should be clearly documented to hit "X" or "NO". Environment management tools make it so that the user environment becomes homogeneous and in some ways almost self regulating if setup properly.

It is true finding a sweet spot between security and usability is a challenge but depending on your vertical it may actually be easy. I'm my arena security trumps nearly everything.

There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virus-on-pinside and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.