(Topic ID: 224353)

Virtual Reality Club (Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, PSVR, etc)

By Deaconblooze

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flight-simulator_1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20221023_154048 (resized).jpg
20221023_152040 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220401-095855_Photos (resized).jpg
677d1959-889c-4bd4-9eb4-30d00f3b8d18 (resized).png
5afb085a-643d-4963-b043-ede965309cdf (resized).png
657F1807-8AC5-4995-9F60-51ACF30C9381 (resized).jpeg
707D3BEA-6FC7-40A7-B841-541C77A54237 (resized).jpeg
F2B741EA-8A21-4E22-9276-7EE6094F8744 (resized).jpeg
star-wars-pinball-vr-collectibles-01-3974 (1) (resized).jpg
132051754_10164669113005506_212272834637562372_o (resized).jpg
20201003_132524 (resized).jpg
4B2DADC5-AF88-4294-B854-5739EF55BF3E (resized).jpeg
752e65f7d683128704edf83adc77d274a089468f (resized).jpg
wireless-hero-m (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 5 years ago

My first exposure to modern VR was when Bonnevil69 brought his Vive setup over to TheNoTrashCougar (yes, I'm name dropping, deal with it [insert gif]) place for a P-ROC meetup. I hadn't really seen VR since the terrible 90s super blocky, super laggy VR.

I only played the bow & arrow game in the lab, and that was enough. Modern VR was officially 'dope' as the kids used to say when I was a kid. I wanted some VR of my own, but I didn't have a gaming quality PC of any kind. I did have a PS4 though, so I got the PSVR since it was a cheap way in to playing VR stuff.

The PSVR was more impressive than I expected it would be. The tracking isn't TOO terrible, and there's a bunch of great games for it (Statik, Job Simulator, the shooting gallery on the "Worlds" disc London Heist, etc) and I was having a good time at my low entry price point. Then I played Super Hot and that was my first real 'holy crap this is amazing' gaming experience -- but not without flaws. The throwing of items on the PSVR is sketchy at best (hot tip for PSVR payers strugging in super hot, do it more like a 'push' than a 'throw') and the fact that you couldn't REALLY move around much before falling out of the tracking was a downer. From that point I knew I wanted to upgrade to a PC 'room scale' setup whenever I could get the money together.

A few months back I built a PC from the ground up with pretty beefy specs and got a vive pro (yeah yeah, the pro is too expensive, whatever the whole thing was less than a pinball machine) and we set it up in our theater room. The place space is like 10 feet x 13 feet, which is fantastic in games that let you move around. The tracking is dead on 99.9% of the time. No wobble like the PSVR is prone to, and the freedom to move is amazing.

The biggest hit on the Vive at our house is Beat Saber. If you haven't played that, you must.

I've been a gamer since Pong. Always loved arcades, had every home console, and had gotten pretty jaded about gaming. I love modern VR.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I just re-read my last post, and it came out pretty negative. VR is pretty damn cool, and there are some fun games. Just wish there were more.

If you like platform/action games I'd really recommend 'Moss' - but wait for it to go on sale as it's pretty short for the price. Really cool game though.

#22 5 years ago

Oh hey, this thread is another place I can get some mileage out of this:

"The Armics" from TNA in Beat Saber. Wanted to play around with making a custom beat map. That happened.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Awesome! I've played the preloaded songs, but haven't really looked into adding in new stuff. Is it pretty simple? Is there a single location to grab them all?

It's ridiculously easy. You just need to get the ModManger from here: https://github.com/Umbranoxio/BeatSaberModInstaller/releases

Run that, and it will set up your game with the plugins needed (the ones it defaults to installing are the only required ones), then there's an in-game interface to this: https://beatsaver.com - where you can search and download songs right in the game.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades

I picked this up too, looking for a shooting gallery like the ones in London Heist -- it's not that; it's more of a hyper accurate gun simulator. It's cool for what it is, but not what i was really looking for. Still trying to find a good, high production value, arcade-ish shooting gallery. Not a 'wave shooter' like there are so many of, just something like the London Heist with the 4 different 'game' style shooting galleries with score.

#34 5 years ago

Tried a new game last night called “in death”. It’s a really interesting archer game. Procedurally generated castle to survive through.

Worth checking out if archery mechanics in vr interest you.

3 months later
#54 5 years ago

This is worth a mention - Talos Principal on sale for 85% off. DLC included.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/552440/The_Talos_Principle_VR/

4 months later
#59 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It works surprisingly well. Tested.com put a guide out for how to wire up a setup shown in the video. I had the front end of a pinball machine made just for virtual pinball. I'll always prefer real pinball but this works well for trying out digital tables. Doesn't take up a lot of space either and doesn't cost a ton.
[quoted image]

Spending the money on a coin door for it seems like a bit much.

1 year later
#83 3 years ago

Skyrim and No Mans Sky both offer a lot of gameplay in VR and are quite good in the format. I really enjoyed Derail Valley, which falls into the sim category Dave mentioned (you drive trains).

But in general, yeah, the gameplay time on a lot of VR games is pretty short — BUT:
1) They’re usually priced accordingly (especially in the steam sales) - For example I picked up a few cute/short adventure games in the summer sale that were around 2 hours long a piece, but they were pretty fun and very nicely made for less than $5 each.
B) It’s not really comfortable to stay in VR for really long stints yet anyway.
III) VR is still pretty new, I think it’ll find it’s footing along the way and games will get better/bigger.

If you’re curious at all, get in one of the cheap ways (Quest/PSVR) - it’s pretty freakin’ sweet.

1 month later
#95 3 years ago

If you have a 2Mx2M area for room scale, check out Eye of the temple: First Steps. It’s free!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1365940/Eye_of_the_Temple_First_Steps/

3 months later
#118 3 years ago

Just played through the Room VR: Dark Matter today - It’s pretty fantastic. It’s only around 3 hours start to finish (faster if you are either a genius or use a lot of the hint system) but it’s on sale in the steam winter sale for 33% off and I’d absolutely recommend it if you like ‘escape room’ type games, or are familiar with the previous “The Room” games and enjoyed them. The quality is absolutely top-notch.

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Just bought Beat Saber. I wasn’t going to, but I figured I might as well try the demo. After one demo game I immediately spent the $30. What a rush, and what a work out at the same time! My arms hurt.

"wasn't going to buy beatsaber" ... everyone who has a VR setup should have beatsaber.

10 months later
#164 2 years ago

../blows the dust off the thread

I feel like this thread hasn't talked about Walkabout Mini Golf enough. Anybody that has VR, or is VR curious should try this game. It's the best introduction to VR gaming I've found. Doesn't matter if people already have a gaming background or not. Standing on a mini-golf course looking around is an instantly relatable experience. It doesn't require any dramatic physical movements or complex controls. On top of that it's a fantastic social game. Even though you're just a floating head and a hand, hanging out with friends while you shoot a round is a really enjoyable time.

The 'base' game set of 8 full 18 hole courses, each one in a unique setting - all with 'hard' variations (so really 16 courses) is complete now, and the game is only $15! They're moving on to DLC to continue to add courses, too, if you're cool with that sort of thing there will be even more to enjoy.

Trailer: https://vimeo.com/460409515

#170 2 years ago

I haven't played walkabout (I will now with the recommendations here)

If you (or anybody that picks up WMG) want to hook up for some multiplayer, let me know. Or join the VR Gaming Podcast discord, tons of WMG players on there (and a league that runs from time to time) - big crossover with the pinball crowd. https://discord.gg/UtwP6vg7

3 months later
#195 2 years ago

Anyone have experience with Bigscreen? How well does it work to share a live tv to users on just a Q2? I assume with I would be able to share a screen from my PC, regardless what it is (including live TV) using virtual desktop.
Similarly, is that also possible within Golf+? It seems like you can cast to the TVs at least within the Topgolf facility. Anyone have luck with that?

People on the VR Discord use Bigscreen to watch stuff (TV, Movies, Other shit) on a somewhat regular basis. The video being shared is sent from the host to a server, and then redistributed from the server to the other participants - and yes you can join in on just a Q2.

Dunno about the Golf+ thing.

6 months later
#243 1 year ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Bunch of clueless morons. The price of the Quest 2 is what made it affordable to the masses and could grow the platform. This just hit the brakes. I know they say the Quest 2 isn't going anywhere, but they need to improve the Quest 2 without increasing the price (or minimal ie: 10% max increase). If they can't do that, then they need to go back to the drawing board and figure it out.
Disappointing...

This is a different class of product. The "Quest 3" is next year.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-reality-club-oculus-rift-htc-vive-etc?tu=epthegeek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.