(Topic ID: 224353)

Virtual Reality Club (Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, PSVR, etc)

By Deaconblooze

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flight-simulator_1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20221023_154048 (resized).jpg
20221023_152040 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220401-095855_Photos (resized).jpg
677d1959-889c-4bd4-9eb4-30d00f3b8d18 (resized).png
5afb085a-643d-4963-b043-ede965309cdf (resized).png
657F1807-8AC5-4995-9F60-51ACF30C9381 (resized).jpeg
707D3BEA-6FC7-40A7-B841-541C77A54237 (resized).jpeg
F2B741EA-8A21-4E22-9276-7EE6094F8744 (resized).jpeg
star-wars-pinball-vr-collectibles-01-3974 (1) (resized).jpg
132051754_10164669113005506_212272834637562372_o (resized).jpg
20201003_132524 (resized).jpg
4B2DADC5-AF88-4294-B854-5739EF55BF3E (resized).jpeg
752e65f7d683128704edf83adc77d274a089468f (resized).jpg
wireless-hero-m (resized).png
There are 333 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 2 years ago

I switched from the top stock to the bottom. The top utilizes magnets to release the controllers from the iron pipe. It works OK, but even the 90lb magnet on the back would rock with the wrong type of movement, and using a pistol, throwing a grenade etc was pretty unintuitive and clunky. Trying to glide in pop1 was a pain, and trying to find the gun after dropping to the sling was a challenge.

The bottom one is the noolaki design, and really solves all of those problems. Your dominant controller is locked in, but the front end is light and short enough that you can go about normal movement without much worry. The support hand just uses the front piece for support, and never locks in. Simple design that works really well.

Screenshot_20220401-095855_Photos (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220401-095855_Photos (resized).jpg
1 week later
#202 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Just to share my experience with the Quest 2 and AirLink.
I bought a secondhand gaming laptop with an i7 core processor and a GeForce RTX 2070 super. For all intents and purposes, I decided the laptop would be able to do what I wanted it to do: play Game Pass games and VR games. I also updated my router to 3 band (2 x 5GHZ bands). When playing VR, I have my laptop plugged in via ethernet cable, but I recently tried it just on wifi (in a different room than my router) and it worked surprisingly well. I have my Q2 on its own 5 GHZ band. Nothing else is on it.
I haven't check out any of the technical settings like Deaconblooze has gone into, but I have gone in and upped the graphics modes to max on all of the VR games that I've tried and it runs very smoothly via AirLink. I know some people have better performance with Virtual Desktop vs AirLink, but I haven't felt the need to buy VD yet. It's been able to play even the most graphically intense VR games without issue, so in that regard, I'm super happy. Just bought Skyrim VR on Steam (sale going on until 2/3 if anyone wants in), so I'm looking forward to installing mod packs and playing Skyrim.
I'm currently playing Boneworks, which is fun. More of the same FPS type of stuff, but handling guns is always fun. I want to check out Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Hand grenades, which is more gun stuff, but seems to be very fun based on reviews. Skyrim will definitely be a different change of pace.

I run AirLink as well, same as you, on a dedicated 5 Ghz band. Works great! Couple games to mention: Walking Dead Saints and Sinners was quite fun with good mechanics. The latest build has "Aftershock" which is an add-on campain for when you're done with the main game. I actually enjoy a little more than the original game itself. Also, Demeo is worth it. I host private games with a neighbor and it's been a blast. Slower pace game, but not everything has to be where you're getting shot at eh? Zombieland HeadShot fever is cool is you want a quick game and want to shoot zombies. It's cheaper as well. I play that one PCVR as well (as opposed to natively on the Quest 2). Oh, the first 2 games I mentioned are cross-buy; pay once for them on the Oculus Store and get them on PCVR and natively on Quest 2. If you get Demeo on Steam it will work via SteamVR but you won't get cross-buy to install it on your Quest 2 if you want.

#203 2 years ago

I had been looking for something like this for a long time. Drafting a space in VR seems like it would be so intuitive, but all of the design apps before lacked physical measurements to make anything buildable. This might be how I design my next house.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2280319701979278

#204 2 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I had been looking for something like this for a long time. Drafting a space in VR seems like it would be so intuitive, but all of the design apps before lacked physical measurements to make anything buildable. This might be how I design my next house.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2280319701979278

That looks really cool. How are the in app purchases looking?

#205 2 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

That looks really cool. How are the in app purchases looking?

Good question, really unclear so far. I played around with it a bit last night. The pass-through mode has some serious potential to map out an existing layout. I'll have to mess around with it some more.

1 week later
#207 2 years ago

That second one looks like a stomach churning experience

#208 2 years ago

Pretty disappointing showcase overall. I'm glad I didn't bring this event to the attention of my holdout friends.

#209 2 years ago

Glad to have found this thread. Got a Quest 2 last week and feel like I've already gotten my money's worth. Walkabout Mini Golf is definitely my favorite thus far but Pistol Whip is a close second. Tried messing around with hooking to the PC with AirLink but I don't think I've got the specs needed to run anything too beefy. Not an issue for now, the Oculus Store has tons of games I want to try.

#210 2 years ago

Ive been really loving my Oculus quest 2 more and more, especially since I got a new Alienware pc, and can do that airlink its awesome.

#211 2 years ago

Yes. Quest 2 and PCVR via AirLink is revolutionary gaming-wise, for sure. Background: I've been gaming since 1980.

1 week later
#212 1 year ago

Half-Life ALYX for those of you with airlink! I know I've said it before, but it's worth repeating. And with all the mods that are available (i haven't touch my O2 lately tbh), there are just so many things available to keep it fresh.

I really need to get back in.

#213 1 year ago

This is kind of interesting if you have solid internet and no gaming PC. No idea how well it works, just heard about it recently.

https://www.plutosphere.com/

#214 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Half-Life ALYX for those of you with airlink! I know I've said it before, but it's worth repeating. And with all the mods that are available (i haven't touch my O2 lately tbh), there are just so many things available to keep it fresh.

Been on my wishlist. I didn't jump when it was 29 bucks a while back. I guess Steam has rules that games can't go on sale for at least 30 days after being on a special deal.

#215 1 year ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Been on my wishlist. I didn't jump when it was 29 bucks a while back. I guess Steam has rules that games can't go on sale for at least 30 days after being on a special deal.

It is on sale pretty much every time Steam has one of their big sales. I waited a few months until the Xmas/winter sale last year, and it was definitely worth the wait. I played other stuff in the meantime, like Arizona Sunshine, After the Fall (which I haven't played since launch). I would guess their Summer sale would be the next time they have it on sale.

If you can get TWD S&S, that's also another really great (initially spooky) game worth playing. I played it on O2 native and it looked great. Jumped in on PCVR and there is a huge upgrade to visuals. It's crossbuy which is awesoeme.

#216 1 year ago

Star Wars tales from the galaxy's edge is pretty cool
I recommend you guys check it, especially if a star wars fan.

For my Oculus quest 2 i bought separate custom made lenses that match my glasses prescription, its awesome.. so clear.

I recommend this head gear, very comfortable, better than elite strap : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KLX48HF
and mask : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099WN4MKW

#217 1 year ago

"After The Fall" got another big update 2 days ago. Really fun coop game.

#218 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Half-Life ALYX And with all the mods that are available there are just so many things available to keep it fresh.

Love Alyx mods. There are some really talented modder's out there. It's getting better all the time. I'm having a riot, to the point I'm playing this more then my pins.
I have a awesome gaming destop and a vive pro 2, Index controllers & rtx 3080 at full tilt..so far does everything without a hiccup. Damn this feels so real.

#219 1 year ago

Heads up…. Star Wars pinball is half price in the Quest. And it’s a really cool way to play pinball. Two thumbs up.

Some other Star Wars items on sale as well. Vader immortal, and the other more recent one…. Vader was good. More of an interactive movie, but still really well done.

#220 1 year ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

Heads up…. Star Wars pinball is half price in the Quest. And it’s a really cool way to play pinball. Two thumbs up.
Some other Star Wars items on sale as well. Vader immortal, and the other more recent one…. Vader was good. More of an interactive movie, but still really well done.

Yes, good heads up! I have not played my copy of the SW pinball on quest yet, but thought I should at least try to support them (during a prior sale). 1/2 Price is a cheap as that will likely get!

#221 1 year ago

Grabbed the vader set. I am holding out for that Golf+ game to go on sale too.... I barely even play this thing as is though...

1 week later
#222 1 year ago

After the Fall has been a blast playing with folks I know. REALLY fun, even though sometimes buggy.

#224 1 year ago

Yeah I thought TWD VR (Saints and Sinners) is def worth the money, even full price.

#225 1 year ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Yeah I thought TWD VR (Saints and Sinners) is def worth the money, even full price.

I paid full price for it. Got me completely hooked on to VR and really changed my perception as a full-on gaming experience vs just a robust tech demo like some other games.

I play after the fall a bit after launch, but haven't touch it for like 4 months lol. Is it still largely groups of 4 killing snowbreed or whatever they're called?

#226 1 year ago

I've been playing Demeo with a couple of friends, that's a pretty cool experience, and allows for crossplay with flat-screen normies.

Solid deal! I already own it (haven't played it yet), but may just grab it for gift potential. Also I love some super meat boy, and haven't played forever yet.

#227 1 year ago

Recently joined the VR club thanks to #epthegeek. Not sure how I was so late to this game but totally missed the advancements that have been made for very reasonable prices. My revelation story is very similar to his... Unimpressed with early experiences a LONG time ago and wrote it off... Had a friend show/talk about it... SOLD!

Jaz

#228 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I play after the fall a bit after launch, but haven't touch it for like 4 months lol. Is it still largely groups of 4 killing snowbreed or whatever they're called?

Yes! 4 player co-op. Several patches have been released already, and the discord channel indicates they are working on this game daily! It's a top notch experience to play with humans that you know. Really fun.

#229 1 year ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Had a friend show/talk about it... SOLD!

What are you planning on getting? I have several hours on the Valve Index, but opted to get a Quest 2 instead. I use it to do PCVR from my PC:

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Nighthawk X6 R8000 WiFi (in AP mode).

and I use these:

Alxum USB 3.0 Extension Cable 25FT, Active USB Extension Cable Male to Female with Signal Booster, Long USB Repeater/Extender Cord 7.5 Meters for Printer, Webcam, Mouse, with 5V2A Power Adapter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GVXJX1T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

Syntech Link Cable 16 FT Compatible with Oculus/Meta Quest 2/1 and PC/Steam VR, High Speed PC Data Transfer, USB 3.0 to USB C Cable for VR Headset and Gaming PC

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098399X91/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

The above is one of the cheapest way to get into PCVR, since the Quest 2 is 1/3 of the price of an Index. I don't miss any of the Index features that are not on Quest 2.

#230 1 year ago
Quoted from Bendit:

What are you planning on getting? I have several hours on the Valve Index, but opted to get a Quest 2 instead. I use it to do PCVR from my PC: (snip)

Bought the Quest 2 the day after the conversation. It does a hell of a lot just in standalone mode. That is certainly the easiest way to use it. One key selling point for me is that it ALSO supports being driven by a PC. I have not setup the wireless PC link yet with the Virtual Desktop app. I've used it with a 15ft USB3->USB-C cable for some basic PC gaming (picked up a Humble VR Bundle that was available at the time). Waiting for Alyx to go on special which is does a few times a year. That might be the time I play with trying to do wireless. But this is a high bandwidth app so I'm figuring the wireless link will be a challenge.

My PC is an i7-10875H with 64G (was going to do a 32G but popped for the extra since doing it later would cost more). Graphics card is an RTX2080 Super Max Q. This is all in a Razer laptop.

Jaz

#231 1 year ago

Sweet! Hey, you won't need Virtual Desktop. The Oculus software installed on the PC does it all.

#232 1 year ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Sweet! Hey, you won't need Virtual Desktop. The Oculus software installed on the PC does it all.

For wireless?

*EDIT* Oh hey d**n... found it. Will try that this weekend. Thanks for the heads up on that.

#233 1 year ago

Sure thing. I am not sure how familiar you are with networking. For Airlink to connect, you need your Wifi Router to assign your Quest 2 an IP address that's on the same subnet as your wired PC. I had to set my Wifi Router to "AP" mode for that to happen (access point mode). Out of the box, Wifi Routers assign IP addresses on a different subnet. If that's the case, you'll never see your PC when trying to connect to AirLink (inside your Quest 2).

2 weeks later
#234 1 year ago

UploadVR showcase was this morning:

Anyone try Vox Machinae or World of Mechs? A mech game in VR seems like it would do really well. I'm mostly interested in multiplayer since I have a couple of friends that finally took the dive.

I'm also wondering about an MMO, Township Tale, Orbus, or Zenith. I played Zenith solo for a bit on release and was underwhelmed, but there's an update coming shortly and maybe the experience is better with friends.

#235 1 year ago

Boneworks is on sale via humble bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/boneworks

1 week later
#236 1 year ago

Lots of good stuff in the summer sale, through the end of the week:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest?utm_source=www.google.com&utm_medium=oculusredirect

#237 1 year ago

That's a great price for After The Fall. It's pretty much the only thing I currently play (Oculus PCVR, but it will run natively on the Quest 2 unit itself).

4 weeks later
#238 1 year ago

Good Steam VR game alert: "Compound".

2 months later
#239 1 year ago

Meta Connect going on now, with an expected reveal of a quest pro

#240 1 year ago

I was actually getting pretty interested until the 1500 price tag.

#241 1 year ago

Controllers are available for 300 too!

#242 1 year ago

Bunch of clueless morons. The price of the Quest 2 is what made it affordable to the masses and could grow the platform. This just hit the brakes. I know they say the Quest 2 isn't going anywhere, but they need to improve the Quest 2 without increasing the price (or minimal ie: 10% max increase). If they can't do that, then they need to go back to the drawing board and figure it out.

Disappointing...

#243 1 year ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Bunch of clueless morons. The price of the Quest 2 is what made it affordable to the masses and could grow the platform. This just hit the brakes. I know they say the Quest 2 isn't going anywhere, but they need to improve the Quest 2 without increasing the price (or minimal ie: 10% max increase). If they can't do that, then they need to go back to the drawing board and figure it out.
Disappointing...

This is a different class of product. The "Quest 3" is next year.

#244 1 year ago

I'd be interested to see what this Pro thing is, but for that price I'm out for sure.

#245 1 year ago

The good news is it brings a lot of really interesting tech forward for possible implementation into the Q3. The controllers alone with their independent tracking is really interesting.

The avatar availability to devs is a pretty big deal too. I've recently gotten some friends into VR, and getting associative avatars into a common space would be cool.

I've been beating the drum of the ability to share music/tv within apps like Eleven or Walkabout. Being able to watch sports or at least listen to the same music would really enhance those experiences. Alternatively, just a few simple passive activities within Bigscreen would be great. The ability to throw some darts, play bag toss, play cards, or anything similar would really help to create a bit more of a hangout within that app.

#246 1 year ago

Quest Pro is for office/work usage. Quest 3 is for gaming and will be next year, in the 300-500 range. Just gotta wait a little longer for the "gaming" version. With that said, I haven't touched my Q2 in a good 6 months. I think Walking Dead 2 will bring me back in though.

#247 1 year ago

I bought Half Life Alyx, downloaded the Half Life 2 VR mod, keep intending to set up my virtual pinball for VR use... Just never actually get to it.

#248 1 year ago

Been going back and forth on which one I want to get, but have decided to buy psvr2 when it comes out next year. Already have the original psvr so I’m hoping they will provide free updates for the games I already own to be played on the new device.

#249 1 year ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

I bought Half Life Alyx, downloaded the Half Life 2 VR mod, keep intending to set up my virtual pinball for VR use... Just never actually get to it.

Alyx is so good. I still need to finish it out. I hear HL2 is also really good, I bet the gravity gun works really well in VR.

I'm in the same boat with the virtual pinball stuff. I'm actually working on it now, but I'm not having a great time getting it to launch correctly.

Quoted from FatPanda:

Quest Pro is for office/work usage. Quest 3 is for gaming and will be next year, in the 300-500 range. Just gotta wait a little longer for the "gaming" version. With that said, I haven't touched my Q2 in a good 6 months. I think Walking Dead 2 will bring me back in though.

Did you bail on the sim racing, or just move to flat screen?

#250 1 year ago

Red Matter 2 is fantastic.

I played around a little to get VPx (or whatever it's called), setup to play pinball, but haven't gotten everything (anything LOL) working.

There are 333 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-reality-club-oculus-rift-htc-vive-etc/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.