(Topic ID: 224353)

Virtual Reality Club (Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, PSVR, etc)

By Deaconblooze

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flight-simulator_1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20221023_154048 (resized).jpg
20221023_152040 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220401-095855_Photos (resized).jpg
677d1959-889c-4bd4-9eb4-30d00f3b8d18 (resized).png
5afb085a-643d-4963-b043-ede965309cdf (resized).png
657F1807-8AC5-4995-9F60-51ACF30C9381 (resized).jpeg
707D3BEA-6FC7-40A7-B841-541C77A54237 (resized).jpeg
F2B741EA-8A21-4E22-9276-7EE6094F8744 (resized).jpeg
star-wars-pinball-vr-collectibles-01-3974 (1) (resized).jpg
132051754_10164669113005506_212272834637562372_o (resized).jpg
20201003_132524 (resized).jpg
4B2DADC5-AF88-4294-B854-5739EF55BF3E (resized).jpeg
752e65f7d683128704edf83adc77d274a089468f (resized).jpg
wireless-hero-m (resized).png
There are 333 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Guy_with_a_Pin:

Any Oculus owner in the USA could help with a referral so I can get a further 10% off my Occulus Rift + touch purchase? See following article at
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-for-315-oculus-go-for-162-via-referral/
Simply login and make the referral to my email address and at the same time earn youself a $30 store credit. PM me for my addy if interested.

PM sent

#52 5 years ago

Joining the club....picked the PSVR astrobot/moss bundle Black Friday sale so just waiting. Found RE7 for $13. How’s Tetris effect in VR??

#53 5 years ago

Steam is having their Autumn Sale until 27 Nov. Some really solid deals. Got Serious Sam 3 VR for $10 (normally $40).

3 weeks later
#54 5 years ago

This is worth a mention - Talos Principal on sale for 85% off. DLC included.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/552440/The_Talos_Principle_VR/

4 months later
#55 5 years ago

Just saw this applied to a VR pinball table:

Innovative but I'll still stick with the real thing vs the "box on your head" pinball.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Just saw this applied to a VR pinball table:

Innovative but I'll still stick with the real thing vs the "box on your head" pinball.

Very cool! I am a VR enthusiast. A good way to combine hobbies . With the luxury of having my own games I would rather play the real thing. But fun to mess with.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Very cool! I am a VR enthusiast. A good way to combine hobbies . With the luxury of having my own games I would rather play the real thing. But fun to mess with.

It works surprisingly well. Tested.com put a guide out for how to wire up a setup shown in the video. I had the front end of a pinball machine made just for virtual pinball. I'll always prefer real pinball but this works well for trying out digital tables. Doesn't take up a lot of space either and doesn't cost a ton.

752e65f7d683128704edf83adc77d274a089468f (resized).jpg752e65f7d683128704edf83adc77d274a089468f (resized).jpg

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It works surprisingly well. Tested.com put a guide out for how to wire up a setup shown in the video. I had the front end of a pinball machine made just for virtual pinball. I'll always prefer real pinball but this works well for trying out digital tables. Doesn't take up a lot of space either and doesn't cost a ton.
[quoted image]

Do you sell those bc I might be interested in buying

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

Spending the money on a coin door for it seems like a bit much.

#60 5 years ago

I used to have one of those HTC vive pro.. the batman VR game was pretty cool, yet I still felt like there was screen door effect and pixels I could see.. gave me a headache.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I used to have one of those HTC vive pro.. the batman VR game was pretty cool, yet I still felt like there was screen door effect and pixels I could see.. gave me a headache.

Fair enough. Current headsets are not perfect but they are good enough to have a lot of fun and they are getting better.

Some early games I played did cause motion sickness but
good developers have learned a lot in terms of how to minimize that or eliminate it for most players.

'To the top' is one game that plays crazy with climbing and falling and fast jumps but seems to cause almost no discomfort for players prone to motion sickness.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Fair enough. Current headsets are not perfect but they are good enough to have a lot of fun and they are getting better.
Some early games I played did cause motion sickness but
good developers have learned a lot in terms of how to minimize that or eliminate it for most players.
'To the top' is one game that plays crazy with climbing and falling and fast jumps but seems to cause almost no discomfort for players prone to motion sickness.

To the top was so much fun

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Do you sell those bc I might be interested in buying

Unfortunately no. I had a local guy who makes arcade and pinball cabinets design / CNC it. I then painted it, added the coin door, buttons, etc.

Quoted from epthegeek:

Spending the money on a coin door for it seems like a bit much.

That's how I access the electronics and wire everything up inside as the back of it is wood that is flush with the cabinet. I used a Data East coin door as it was much cheaper compared to the Bally Williams ones. If I had a used one I would have installed that.

5 months later
#64 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Unfortunately no. I had a local guy who makes arcade and pinball cabinets design / CNC it. I then painted it, added the coin door, buttons, etc.

That's how I access the electronics and wire everything up inside as the back of it is wood that is flush with the cabinet. I used a Data East coin door as it was much cheaper compared to the Bally Williams ones. If I had a used one I would have installed that.

That pin control setup you have is simply awesome. Just picked up an Oculus Quest wireless system and all I can say is wow. They have truly come a long way. They also said they will offer a wire connect add on so the Quest can also play all the Rift games. Incredible technology really.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

Wow, somebody should start to manufacture similar solutions for sale! I.e. ready for Oculus Rift, plug and play!

#66 4 years ago

I have started to think about getting Oculus Quest. Apparently today only Pinball FX2 is available for it?

What kind of controller could one connect to Oculus Quest to play pinball? PanzerFreak's controller would be the ultimate choice, if it can be connected to Oculus Quest, but such controllers are not sold anywhere apparently, so I would have to settle with some arcade controller, which has buttons on the sides of the controller. I would miss the plunger of course, but I think I can live without skill-shots. But are the USB-controllers compatible with Oculus Quest, or should one get some bluetooth arcade controller? Any suggestions on what kind of arcade controller to get to connect it to Oculus Quest?

Thanks for any info!

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I have started to think about getting Oculus Quest. Apparently today only Pinball FX2 is available for it?
What kind of controller could one connect to Oculus Quest to play pinball? PanzerFreak's controller would be the ultimate choice, if it can be connected to Oculus Quest, but such controllers are not sold anywhere apparently, so I would have to settle with some arcade controller, which has buttons on the sides of the controller. I would miss the plunger of course, but I think I can live without skill-shots. But are the USB-controllers compatible with Oculus Quest, or should one get some bluetooth arcade controller? Any suggestions on what kind of arcade controller to get to connect it to Oculus Quest?
Thanks for any info!

Next month they'll be an update Oculus link will allow the quest to a computer you can use the controller from there. and you can play rift and steam games as well.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

Next month they'll be an update Oculus link will allow the quest to a computer you can use the controller from there. and you can play rift and steam games as well.

I've read about that, but I'd rather have a "standalone" solution - arcade controller and Oculus Quest. I guess it would be doable also to buy some wooden box and connect controllers there, but I am not sure, which hardware would be compliant with Quest.

EDIT: Apparently arcade controllers would work with Quest with some fiddling: https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/c0foj8/quest_supports_arcade_sticks_notes_in_the_comments/

3 weeks later
#69 4 years ago

I've been watching for some reasonably priced software architectural design software in VR. I haven't found anything that meets my needs. TiltBrush is cool, but as far as I can tell, there's no dimensions shown, so it makes it useless for room design.

Does anyone know of anything like this? I'm basically looking for a sketchup style program in VR. I'd love to see how my basement might look in room scale with walls knocked out, pins moved, etc.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I've been watching for some reasonably priced software architectural design software in VR. I haven't found anything that meets my needs. TiltBrush is cool, but as far as I can tell, there's no dimensions shown, so it makes it useless for room design.

I've looked into this.. nothing good that's free except unreal engine, but I find that program hard to use (but the results are amazing)

This guy did a simple VR house in blender:

#71 4 years ago

I'll check into those, thanks.

I'd pay up to about $50 for something decent.

I'm surprised there aren't more options out there. This seems like a space where VR would be really useful, especially for architects, interior designers, real estate agents, etc etc etc.

1 month later
#72 4 years ago

I have had a PlayStation vr for a couple of years now, but reared used it. I am really susceptible to motion sickness, so there are a lot of games I can’t play.

I just got a quest, and it is amazing! They have a rating system so you can choose the games that won’t cause motion sickness. Also, wireless is the best feature I have seen for vr. So easy to just pick up and play!

I had more time in vr in the first 2 days than I had in 2 years on psvr, and I expect to play pretty often.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I have had a PlayStation vr for a couple of years now, but reared used it. I am really susceptible to motion sickness, so there are a lot of games I can’t play.
I just got a quest, and it is amazing! They have a rating system so you can choose the games that won’t cause motion sickness. Also, wireless is the best feature I have seen for vr. So easy to just pick up and play!
I had more time in vr in the first 2 days than I had in 2 years on psvr, and I expect to play pretty often.

I picked up a quest a few weeks ago. Dollar general had GameStop gift cards at 15% off so I bought $500 worth for $425, then went to GS and bought the 128g quest. Still haven't opened it, but I plan on very soon. Besides the darth vader game, what are some good ones to pick up?

#74 4 years ago

Why the Quest over the Rift S? Some games you won’t even be able to play

#75 4 years ago

Quest ! All the way. Not tethered is a very big deal. Also you can play with a cpu now!

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Why the Quest over the Rift S? Some games you won’t even be able to play

Quest Can play all the S games with cable if you wanted. All other games are wireless which totally changes the game. Love ours.

#77 4 years ago

The compromise of quality when using quest vs rift S with a great PC is not even funny. Absolutely night and day BUT if you never experienced true rift S I can understand going quest.

I'm glad both are out there as it only brings more people to vr. For me I love vr but hate wearing anything over my face. Bc of that it will never be something I do for long periods of time unless guests are over.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

The compromise of quality when using quest vs rift S with a great PC is not even funny. Absolutely night and day BUT if you never experienced true rift S I can understand going quest.
I'm glad both are out there as it only brings more people to vr. For me I love vr but hate wearing anything over my face. Bc of that it will never be something I do for long periods of time unless guests are over.

That’s what I had heard as well. Battery life is another issue. Also agree that the more people on board the vr train the better. Some very cool experiences either way. Enjoy

#79 4 years ago

Just joined the Quest wagon. I also suffer from motion sickness on many games, but so far, the Quest is doing fine.

Beat Saber gave me a little uneasy feeling the first time, but not the second.
VR SuperHot left me fine.

I understand about the difference in graphics between the Quest and Rift, but figured with the non-cord bonus, I'd go Quest (OK, bought it for my son).

The other deciding factor was that new tech for VR will be flooding the market soon, each one better than the next, so realistically, this is a 2 year endeavor before moving on.

Too bad there is only Pinball FX, I just don't care for their "playful" animation. Maybe I'll grab that link and then use the cord for a Rift pinball program.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I will stick to the wireless versions, and enjoy the better graphics when these devices get there. Kinda like I prefer the switch over ps4 since I can take it with me if I want.

5 months later
#81 3 years ago

Is oculus quest still the way to go?

Do the games have much replayability? They aren't cheap and I'd like more than 10 hours worth of gaming

1 month later
#82 3 years ago

captainadam_21 Just saw this. Not sure what version is best, since I'm not really interested in a hardware change until a real next gen. If I remember the quest correctly, it was originally standalone and wireless, but later allowed the option to be added to the pc for additional titles? If that's true, that would make it pretty appealing (without knowing the other comparative specs). The ability to untether for certain titles would really help the experience.

As far as game, no, they really dont have much replayability. I think the best VR game is superhot. Its amazing. You will want a little space to move to play that one (probably 10x8?). There are some other good ones... people really like beat saber, it's just not my thing. I might give it another try.

I think it's best used as a peripheral to some sort of hobby you already have, namely sims. If you're into driving or flying sims, I think that's the only way you get longevity out of this in its current form. I was big into sim racing but just cant get myself to turn to climb behind the wheel as much anymore. Its really fun when I do, but it's also just a bit of a process to get everything working well together. Long stints of non-use only complicate that.

I expect to strap my oculus on again with some regularity when the x-wing title is released in fall. I'm metering my expectations, but I already have a HOTAS, and I loved the original x-wing series.

Elite:dangerous was also pretty mindblowing, but the text in that game in the backdrop of space really messed with my eyes after about an hour. Leaving a space port for the first time in VR was probably one of the coolest video game experiences I've had in my life, though.

So yeah, if you dont think you'll be into something like beat saber, or if you dont have a sim hobby in mind, then probably plan on maybe 30 hours of worthwhile gameplay. That's a guess, but the titles are relatively thin, and those with replay value even thinner. I really hope the x-wing game can change that for me.

#83 3 years ago

Skyrim and No Mans Sky both offer a lot of gameplay in VR and are quite good in the format. I really enjoyed Derail Valley, which falls into the sim category Dave mentioned (you drive trains).

But in general, yeah, the gameplay time on a lot of VR games is pretty short — BUT:
1) They’re usually priced accordingly (especially in the steam sales) - For example I picked up a few cute/short adventure games in the summer sale that were around 2 hours long a piece, but they were pretty fun and very nicely made for less than $5 each.
B) It’s not really comfortable to stay in VR for really long stints yet anyway.
III) VR is still pretty new, I think it’ll find it’s footing along the way and games will get better/bigger.

If you’re curious at all, get in one of the cheap ways (Quest/PSVR) - it’s pretty freakin’ sweet.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

captainadam_21 Just saw this. Not sure what version is best, since I'm not really interested in a hardware change until a real next gen. If I remember the quest correctly, it was originally standalone and wireless, but later allowed the option to be added to the pc for additional titles? If that's true, that would make it pretty appealing (without knowing the other comparative specs). The ability to untether for certain titles would really help the experience.
As far as game, no, they really dont have much replayability. I think the best VR game is superhot. Its amazing. You will want a little space to move to play that one (probably 10x8?). There are some other good ones... people really like beat saber, it's just not my thing. I might give it another try.
I think it's best used as a peripheral to some sort of hobby you already have, namely sims. If you're into driving or flying sims, I think that's the only way you get longevity out of this in its current form. I was big into sim racing but just cant get myself to turn to climb behind the wheel as much anymore. Its really fun when I do, but it's also just a bit of a process to get everything working well together. Long stints of non-use only complicate that.
I expect to strap my oculus on again with some regularity when the x-wing title is released in fall. I'm metering my expectations, but I already have a HOTAS, and I loved the original x-wing series.
Elite:dangerous was also pretty mindblowing, but the text in that game in the backdrop of space really messed with my eyes after about an hour. Leaving a space port for the first time in VR was probably one of the coolest video game experiences I've had in my life, though.
So yeah, if you dont think you'll be into something like beat saber, or if you dont have a sim hobby in mind, then probably plan on maybe 30 hours of worthwhile gameplay. That's a guess, but the titles are relatively thin, and those with replay value even thinner. I really hope the x-wing game can change that for me.

I ended up getting the quest through Costco. They hook you up with a free carrier. There was a huge 1 day sale Saturday. I loaded up on games. Right now playing Arizona sunrise.

Most games are pretty short but I grew up playing NES and all those games were even shorter

#85 3 years ago

So I ordered a Valve Index on May 8th and got it this past Saturday. It was a long wait for sure. I was freaking BLOWN AWAY and it's my first VR headset. I mean the demos at Best Buy were great but it's not like the Index at home! That being said I can only play in the home environments because of my setup. I know my GPU is garbage and the 3xxx series are coming out next month. However is it wise to upgrade everything else right now and hold off on the GPU or is something else coming out in September aside from the GPU? I can't even play "The Lab" because everything is all jittery which I believe is re-projection.

GPU: GTX 1060 3GB model
CPU: i5-4690K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7
RAM: 8GB of DDR3

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from hool10:

I know my GPU is garbage and the 3xxx series are coming out next month. However is it wise to upgrade everything else right now and hold off on the GPU or is something else coming out in September aside from the GPU? I can't even play "The Lab" because everything is all jittery which I believe is re-projection.

GPU: GTX 1060 3GB model
CPU: i5-4690K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7
RAM: 8GB of DDR3

I don't have VR (plan to someday), but I did just upgrade my system. I was on an i5-4590 Dell, GTX 970 3gb, 16gb DDR3. I'm now on a Ryzen 1600 AMD4 (almost 2-1/2 times the CPU speed), GTX 1060 3gb, and 32gb of DDR4 memory. I think I spent just a little over $300 (selling old hardware along the way). Ryzen is awesome, you get the same performance as intel for about 1/3 the cost.

#87 3 years ago

Just found this thread! I'm the guy who made the PinSim for the Tested video earlier in this thread. I can't believe no one has mentioned VPVR yet -- Visual Pinball VR. I'm not trying to start a war about the merits of virtual pinball, but I own real machines and still love having 100+ fully rendered classic tables to play in VR too.

Most of the tables are uploaded here with the "VR Room" prefix:
https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/categories/vpx-vr-tables/

This guide should get you started:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/atvkgz/visual_pinball_vr_pinsim/

And a lot of news and releases are discussed on this Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/VRPinball

It's a bit of a pain to get setup, but well worth it if you've got a gaming PC.

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Right now playing Arizona sunrise.

Right on, enjoy. I do think it's probably really cool if the horror genre is your thing. I'm way too jumpy for those kinds of games. I'll probably get half life once it goes on sale, but I think it might end up being as stressful as it is enjoyable.

Quoted from PinHacks:

Just found this thread! I'm the guy who made the PinSim for the Tested video earlier in this thread. I can't believe no one has mentioned VPVR yet -- Visual Pinball VR. I'm not trying to start a war about the merits of virtual pinball, but I own real machines and still love having 100+ fully rendered classic tables to play in VR too.

Very cool. I played the Stern and FX3 apps. I should just dedicate a saturday to getting VPVR working. Then I would definitely need to build a pinball controller.

1 week later
#89 3 years ago

Beat saber just released a Linkin park pack of 11 songs. I think it's the best Beat saber songs to play yet

2 weeks later
#90 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHacks:

PinHacks Thanks again for providing these links. I got a couple of games working in VR over the weekend and it seems really cool. One problem I'm having is finding ROMs for some games. Am I missing something on how to locate those?

#91 3 years ago

I had an HTC Vive but returned it and got a Valve Index. Far superior. Added the VR area to our arcade.

4B2DADC5-AF88-4294-B854-5739EF55BF3E (resized).jpeg4B2DADC5-AF88-4294-B854-5739EF55BF3E (resized).jpeg
#92 3 years ago

I was saving up for the Oclus and days before I was about to buy it Zucherbeg announced you must have a facebook account to use it going forward. No thanks, I'm not into brain washing and ads.

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I was saving up for the Oclus and days before I was about to buy it Zucherbeg announced you must have a facebook account to use it going forward. No thanks, I'm not into brain washing and ads.

Ugh, I can't stand Faceb00k. We like the Oculus and all, but 2023 will be the end of it for us I guess.

I can see a large revolt coming.

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Ugh, I can't stand Faceb00k. We like the Oculus and all, but 2023 will be the end of it for us I guess.
I can see a large revolt coming.

If we even make it to 2023

#95 3 years ago

If you have a 2Mx2M area for room scale, check out Eye of the temple: First Steps. It’s free!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1365940/Eye_of_the_Temple_First_Steps/

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

If you have a 2Mx2M area for room scale, check out Eye of the temple: First Steps. It’s free!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1365940/Eye_of_the_Temple_First_Steps/

Wow that’s free? I’ll need to check it out thanks

#97 3 years ago

I have a PSVR setup... I was actually surprised how good it was.

I even use it to watch 3D movies which is a nice bonus they can do... like having imax in your face.

The games will get there but some good ones already that other people have mentioned. Farpoint, astrobot etc

#98 3 years ago

So pulled the trigger on a lightly used oculus rift S, hoping to have it next week. My new PC should have plenty of power to handle any game. Pretty excited to try this finally.

#99 3 years ago

I have the original rift and psvr. I updated my gpu to a rtx2070 and now can’t get any video thru the headset but get sound. I think I’m going to have to do a fresh install of windows and clean up drivers. I’ve had multiple gpu’s the last couple of years. Worked fine with all of the previous cards so hoping it’s not the headset.

IRacing is awesome with VR by the way. Especially with a nice setup.

#100 3 years ago

Got mine setup.. couldn't connect at first, didn't realize that connector on the headset could get loose. Just the stock demos blew me away. It messes with your mind to let your mind think you're in a winnebago with a floating robot, then suddenly your controller hits the couch and you're like "Why isn't my hand moving still?".

Tried downloading a roller coaster simulator, my anti-virus is already blocking me. Reboot seemed to fix it, but I hope it doesn't keep popping up. Eset nod32 isn't real user friendly for adding exceptions.

There are 333 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-reality-club-oculus-rift-htc-vive-etc/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.