Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Darkwing
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

What's everyone's opinion on using a virtual pinball emulator as a means of sampling a pinball machine before buying it? Yes, the experience of playing virtual pinball machine versus its physical, real life equivalent is pretty different, but baring any mods, the rules, layout, audio, art, lighting, and everything else about the game is pretty much the same. Has anyone done this or does it regularly when trying to decide if they want to take the plunge and buy the real deal for thousands of dollars?

For me personally I feel like it's a great way of checking out a game to see if you like. At least from personal experience, 9 times out of 10 I feel like me liking or disliking of a specific virtual pin carries over to when I actually play the real thing. In a perfect world I'd be able to drive no more than half an hour away to a local business and try the real thing out for a few hours to see if I care for the shots, the rules, the general layout, and everything else but let's be honest for a sec. Some of these pins, especially ones that are over a 20-years old can be harder to find than unicorn turds in the wild. Sure, you could always take a chance and just buy the machine and sell it for what you paid (hopefully) if you don't end up liking it, but you have to coordinate picking it up or shipping it, loading it, unloading it, getting into your house, and after hours of work later you finally get to enjoy it, again, hopefully. It just seems like virtual pins offer a good enough approximation to the real deal to where you could decide whether or not a game is for you before you go out and buy the actual machine. That's my opinion at least.

#2 1 year ago

Sure, there's nothing wrong with trying out a virtual version of a game to get a feel for it.

Lots of people do just that.

#3 1 year ago

I would strongly recommend it. I have owned a vpin for over two years now and it was my gateway into owning some physical pins.

If you have any questions about vpin stuff, please let me know and I would be happy to answer.

I also stream vpin tables regularly at twitch.tv/friscopinball and would be happy to answer any questions there too

#4 1 year ago

If no cabinet, You can also download and play it on your desktop.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

At least from personal experience, 9 times out of 10 I feel like me liking or disliking of a specific virtual pin carries over to when I actually play the real thing.

This hasn’t been my experience at all, I feel the difference between a real pin and the virtual version are so great that it’s impossible to get a good impression of a machine by just playing the virtual version. Mind you I only play virtual pinball on gaming consoles and don’t have a lot of money soaked into something like a VR setup, but I still feel the results would be similar. But I guess if you don’t have any opportunities to play the real thing then it’s better than nothing.

#6 1 year ago

Good for getting an idea of the ruleset, graphics, etc. but not the actual feel/experience of playing the real thing. However, if you are mostly theme/rule centric when it comes to your pins, then I think it would be quite helpful to get to know the game via VR.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

What's everyone's opinion on using a virtual pinball emulator as a means of sampling a pinball machine before buying it?

The more information you can get before buying, the better. Virtual pinball is a fantastic way to learn a games rules and see if that aspect of the game is a draw for you.

#8 1 year ago

Good for figuring out if the sound and screen animations are up your alley and that's about it. And even then you don't want to overdo it, why get sick of that stuff before you even own the game?

THere's no "kinetic satisfaction."

#9 1 year ago

Pro: ability to try any game and get the “feel” for it before you buy.

Con: ability to try any game and get the “feel” for it before you buy.

I had built a virtual cabinet almost a decade ago and really enjoyed it, but quickly became a bit of a pinball snob now. I see games for sale that I would have loved to own before, but now I’m looking at a lot of these machines to be not worth the money. I know what games I like and if I find something in the wild to play that’s not one I like, then I probably won’t stop to drop in a buck or two. I sold it after a couple years with the mindset that the technology wasn’t good enough. Nowadays with 4K and VR I’m sure the technology is getting a lot closer on a top of the line computer. Currently I have an Arcade1up that works well enough for the price. I sold my last pin in Jan 2020 with the plan to buy a new AFM in nov 2020, but Covid changed that plan. I only play real pin on location for now because a lot of the cheaper games are one trick ponies that get boring quickly. I have limited space, so when I get another pin, it will be a game that gets bolted to the floor.

https://hyperspin-fe.com/forums/topic/2340-mortal-pinball-kombat-a-build-thread/

#10 1 year ago

I actually discovered The Who's Tommy Pinball Wizard when I played it once IRL and loved the blinders, then actually learned the rules/layout/feel while updating the virtual recreation (it was 4 years out of date and the last 2 have been very good for VP).

When it happened to come up for sale right when I was looking for a pin, I knew I wanted to buy because I was so familiar from the virtual. I also knew some of the other machines available locally at my price point (#jokerz, Jurassic Park, some EM's) from recreations, and could judge them by depth, fun, replayability, etc. before ever seeing their condition in person.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Good for figuring out if the sound and screen animations are up your alley and that's about it. And even then you don't want to overdo it, why get sick of that stuff before you even own the game?
    THere's no "kinetic satisfaction."

Not anymore. With DOF and SSF “kinetic satisfaction” has been solved with modern high end virtual pinball machines. Solenoids / contactors to replicate pop bumpers, slings and flippers. There’s gear and shaker motors. SSF is surround sound feedback and offers feedback through the wood of the cabinet to further replicate sounds.

I’m getting a high end virtual pin delivered tomorrow and couldn’t be happier. I purposely skipped buying another mechanical pin in favor of a virtual pin for the last pinball spot in my game room. Being able to play 100’s of games I’ll never have the money and or space to own all at once without the maintenance headaches is amazing. There’s also a ton of games I’ve once owned but don’t want to buy again that I’ll be able to play.

Basically I bought the VPIN to replace everything from the pre LCD era. Sold my last 90’s Bally pin to help fund it and not looking back. Thankfully even modern Stern tables are now starting to be recreated as well (Batman 66 and Iron Maiden for example).

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

With DOF and SSF “kinetic satisfaction” has been solved with modern high end virtual pinball machines.

I was a skeptic as well-until I actually got some good time on one with DOF and SSF. I was sold and purchased one for the home. Is it the same-no but it is getting closer and closer. Bump passes and other things are still a little off but the feel is getting there. It allows you to explore tables more in depth. You can watch you-tube videos and try and learn about a game you may have interest in but playing the virtual version gives you a good idea of how it plays and the rulesets involved. I am finding some games I did not think I would like very much but they are fun to play. Trying to hit a certain skill shot on Arena, hitting two or more sideways loops on Blood Machines, playing rare games you will never see in person, playing tons of EM's etc.
    The other aspect is the growing number of virtual content creators creating unique digital tables. More and more creators are getting involved and some of the tables created are really impressive. I advise people to check out the growing virtual scene-don't stick your head in the sand-keep your head up and watch what's to come. I would like to see Pinside recognize this growing market and create an avatar for a virtual pinball machine in people's collection. This would allow people to connect and network more-I feel like it is another dimension of pinball that is valid and legit. I would ask the question-'Who does not want more pinball in their life?' I will take it all-including virtual

#13 1 year ago

I love VPin for the online tournaments. I can’t make it to all the tournament IFPA grind that I used to a few years back, so it helps scratch that itch. Also a fantastic way to learn rules better if you want to improve in competition.

The ball physics has come a long way and the purists saying f that have probably been that way so long they missed that progression.

I’m looking forward to when the nudging of the cabinet can catch up. I know progress has been made. More progress can be made.

So physical pins will not be replaced in my game room. One spot definitely has been earned by the virtual pin tho.

Last point, it also saved me from buying a game I’d never seen but wanted. About 3 minutes into the VP table it was a clear NOPE and whew glad I dodged that one

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pins-and-trying-before-buying and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.