Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sttng.png.jpg
    P1030400_(Large).JPG
    P1030132_(Large).JPG
    P1020961_(Large).JPG
    hp.png.jpg
    DSC02384_(Large).JPG
    DSC02146_(Large).JPG
    DSC02144_(Large).JPG
    DSC02133_(Large).JPG
    DSC02131_(Large).JPG
    DSC02130_(Large).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nickwar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 12 years ago

I'm having one built right now. Includes a top of the line 42 LED playfield in a widebody cab (plus two other quality monitors), a nearly top of the line PC, a lighting system (3 RGB and two flasher strobes), and a force feedback package (shaker motor and 8 contractors tied to flippers, bumpers, and slingshots). I came to pinball by way of video games, so I don't have the strong preference for the real machine feel that others do. Still, I spend about 25 dollars a month pumping quarters into local machines.

I think claims that they play nothing like the real thing are overblown. Much of it depends on the table author. I play the VP versions and real versions of Scared Stiff, Simpsons Pinball Party, LotR, and Cirqus Voltaire regularly and the skills and strategies I develop from one mostly map to the other. In terms of appearance, they look similar (except for the true 3D of course ). In terms of sound, they are exactly the same. I would say that I get the expected reactions in the VP versions in terms of behavior about 75% of the time. It's overall just less variable and therefore easier, though there is significant variation in ball reactions. The modeling has only gotten better over time and will continue to do so. May not be exactly the same as a real machine, but still fun.

If you don't dig it, that's fine. But to call the virtual cabinets abominations or affronts to real pinball is ridiculous and disrespectful of the massive amount of skill and ingenuity that has gone into getting the virtual hobby to this point. What's more, people don't realize that the virtual hobby can lead to the purchase of real machines and the support of an industry that otherwise wouldn't be there. I plan to purchase my first machine, a recently produced new in box one, next year (assuming my wife gets the job she's eyeing up!). If I couldn't play all the classics in VP, I might otherwise spend all my money trying to acquire machines produced by long defunct companies, which I don't really think is the best way to keep this thing going.

#42 12 years ago

As an addendum, I actually think the thing VP has most trouble fully emulating is table lighting. I love the light shows of real machines.

#47 12 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Which site is doing it? Jack's, Noah's, or Local to you Person?
    Sounds like you are doing widebody, with the 42" inside the cabinet.

Not local to me. It's one of the more prolific builders on the VP and Hyperpin forums. Yes, it is a widebody with the 42 recessed. Noah's pins look great though. I also spoke to Jack when I was shopping around. What a great guy. He gave me plenty of advice even after it was clear I wasn't going to buy from him.

I do want to build one, but am not very skilled at woodworking or electrical. I wanted something that looked and played great so I could enjoy it now. I will learn from it for sure when working out my first build (which will most likely be a minipin with none of the extras as an eventual gift for a friend).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nickwar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-machine-versus-traditional-pinball-machine?tu=nickwar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.