Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sttng.png.jpg
    P1030400_(Large).JPG
    P1030132_(Large).JPG
    P1020961_(Large).JPG
    hp.png.jpg
    DSC02384_(Large).JPG
    DSC02146_(Large).JPG
    DSC02144_(Large).JPG
    DSC02133_(Large).JPG
    DSC02131_(Large).JPG
    DSC02130_(Large).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdub1006.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

So last night I had a few people over to play in my mini arcade. We got into a heated discussion about video game pinball, virtual pinball and traditional pinball.

Before I give my stance (which was torn apart last night by my friends) I want everyone to know I LOVE pinball. The type of pins I enjoy the most are 60's and 70's EM games however, I own several different types.

So last night in the middle of talking about our favorite games I told my buddies I was saving for a Virtual Pinball Machine, after my friend spit his drink from his mouth he told me he will never sell me another game because I will defile my arcade room with this electronic monster. I tried to explain that my boy's (8 and 10) would enjoy the variety it offers (You can load up to 250 games), and allow our family to play games like MM, FH, CC and CV without breaking the bank.

I was ridiculed for about an hour about how I disgraced the pinball gods, a REAL pinball game in 100% random, how pinball is dying with the younger generation and machines like this are the cause and how a LCD screen is NOT a pinball machine no matter what cabinet you put it into.

My question, is a virtual machine really that bad? I was looking for a cost effective way for my kids to play more great games with a traditional look and feel. There are few arcades where I live that carry pins, and buying DMD pins is expensive (I just bought one).

All in all I think a virtual machine is a good idea, the play is fun not like a traditional pin but still fun, the game selection you can upload is awesome and it fits well in our arcade theme.

Am I way out in left field here? Do other agree?

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

JDub, I would never ridicule your opinion. I don't share it though

Gorilla-

LOL, Don't hold back, give it to me straight

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I would build one for under $1k, I would not buy one for the $5k they want

I have a local dealer that is selling them with a design of your choice on the cabinet. They will preload 25 games and have options for game storage of up to 250+. The cost is $4199.99, which is less than a new Stern from Best Buy. I think the price is fair since I don't carry the expertise of building one myself.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

I built this 3 Monitor setup with a 40" LED @ the 3K range:

Two words: That's AWESOME!

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

A virtual pinball is a GREAT video game, but is NOT a pinball. Just like a blow-up doll is not a real girlfriend no matter how lifelike it looks. (Even with a nag chip enabled.)

LOL That is too funny

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

Williams hall of fame is quite good (not perfect) with physics.

I just played it for the first time last weekend on the Xbox360. It was okay....I have played Tales of the Arabian Nights about 250 times and found it to be pretty accurate but Taxi was way, way, way too easy.

Just a funny note...Pinbot drained as much on the left side as it normally does!!!!

#44 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

Arcade games aren't doing exactly well out in the wild either.

I noticed that as well. While pins go up in price you can pick up a popular arcade game for $300-500.

My whole point with this was I would be able to play games like MM, TOTAN, TAF and TZ without paying big bucks or getting rid of my old favorites due to room in the basement (Or try to tell my wife that a pin would look great in the sitting room or bedroom).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jdub1006.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-machine-versus-traditional-pinball-machine?tu=jdub1006 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.